Windows 7 Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Darkas

Hello,

My computer regularly crashes since two days ago.

I tried to figure out by myself what was the issue, having a look at the dump files and using some soft (like BlueScreenView and WhoCrashed), I also reinstalled/updated most of the drivers, but I wasn't able to fix it.

A system restore didn't help either.

There are two kinds of .dmp; some (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) are the actual problem; the others (DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION) come from the stress test of Driver Verifier (verifier.exe) and don't happen anymore since I updated the drivers, I therefore believe that the two are not linked (the second most problably caused by an outdated logitech software).

I also performed a chkdsk and a sfc /scannow (no problem detected). I'll do a memtest if needed. I also let my computer runs for ~10 hours in safemode with network, using some soft (like utorrent, a HDD scan, etc.) to stress a little bit the system and no bsod happened. Consequently, I hardly think that the problem is hardware-related.

If you need other information, do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Dumpfiles:
View attachment minidump.zip

Edit: Doing some more searching, it could be caused by utorrent itself, could someone confirm it? (And if it's the case, why does it work well on safemode? Also, why does the problem just happen now, I used it for a long time?).

Last edited:
Hi Darkas and Welcome to The Forum.

STOP 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Usual causes:
Device driver.

Your dump files list NETIO.SYS as the probable cause.
This is a Windows System file and for it to be the cause of your crash is highly unlikely.
Old and incompatible drivers can and do cause issues with Windows 7, often giving false error codes.
Random stop codes can often indicate hardware issues.

Drivers that pre-date Windows 7. Update:

LGPBTDD.sys Wed Jul 01 19:47:52 2009 Logitech GamePanel Software

Drivers with Updates:

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jan 04 11:48:55 2011 Realtek HD Audio R2.67

mvxxmm.sys Mon Sep 19 12:31:37 2011 Link Removed due to 404 Error

Apart from knowing nothing about whether the Logitech driver has issues with Windows 7, there are no horror stories in your drivers.

If the BSOD's continue, especially blaming a Device Driver, you may have to decide whether to run DriverVerifier to flush out the true culprit. Please see: DriverVerifier - Windows 7 & Vista

Bugcheck Analysis:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {28, 2, 0, fffff88001611b2d}

Probably caused by : NETIO.SYS ( NETIO!RtlCopyBufferToMdl+1d )

Followup: MachineOwner

Let us know how it goes. If you get further problems with blue screens, attach your new dump files and details and we'll move on from there.

HTH.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks =)

I upgraded the drivers you specified, the BSOD still appears.

However, I've been able to figure out that utorrent is actually triggering the bsod's.
It is quite weird because I used it for more than a year and it never had any problem (and it's not because of a new version, I installed an old one to test and it still crashes).

I ran a DriverVerifier and (without utorrent) no BSOD appears.

Do you have any idea why it happens just now and never did it before ?

It is not linked to my antivirus (I changed to MSE meanwhile) and I also tried to rollback my network card driver, neither helped.

Funny story: Adblock blocks the link which is set to the keyword "drivers", and hide the word itself, which lead to sentence like "Old and incompatible can and do cause issues with Windows 7" !

Last edited:
Well, good to see you've found the cause of your problems.

I can run the latest v3.0 without issues, but the earlier ones did give me a lot of hassle, so I reverted to v2.2.1 b25302 with which I'd never had a problem. It can still be found at FileHippo.

It may also be due to Malware, depending on what you use µTorrent for. I'd suggest you download, install and update Malwarebytes' Free. Then run a full scan. If it finds anything repeat the full scan in Safe Mode.

Funny story: Adblock blocks the link which is set to the keyword "drivers", and hide the word itself, which lead to sentence like "Old and incompatible can and do cause issues with Windows 7" !
That's most likely as the highlighted word "drivers" is a site sponsor, as Ad-block is preventing the loading of the linked page, it is good to know you get given my "Words of Wisdom"!! :D :D :D

Last edited:
I'm running a scan with Malwarebyte now.

After that, if nothing detected, I'll revert to this older version, but I doubt it will help, as I used a 3.x version for some time without problem, I'm pretty much sure it's not utorrent by iteself which cause the bsod, but triggers them (either because an issue with something network-related, or by a malware (I did not think about it, because I don't really see the point of such a malware)).

Do you agree with this analysis?

I've always, when used, installed µTorrent totally separate from my system (not that this will help your problem, just a hint).

Let's say it installs in Program Files, I move it to say, D: Drive, I then locate the the µTorrent files (somewhere in AppData??) and move them into the folder on D:. When started, because the data files are in the same folder as the exe file, it doesn't go looking for them.

Those instructions are a bit woolly as I started doing that over 5 years ago now and, errr, can't quite remember the correct locations. But a quick Google should find you more accurate instructions.

It may also (possibly) be your AV doesn't like µTorrent, due to its "reputation", and the bsods are a result of "conflicts of interest".

Scan finished, nothing found.

I'll use your trick, that seems a really nice idea using an external HDD, or one on LAN to share utorrent between different computers.
No problem about "wooly" instructions :) (path is %user\AppData\Roaming\utorrent).

As previously stated, the AV is probably not the cause (I changed it from avira to MSE to test, didn't help).

Good news, it seems not to crash :)

(Up to now at least)

I guess it's a new feature that more recent version of utorrent use... I'll dig a little bit. If you have any idea...

I still have no idea why it just started now...

Funny story #2: "crash" is also blocked :p

Funny story #2: "crash" is also blocked :p
Thats only to give us eejits who deal in crashes a warm inner glow. We give you an answer, you can never say cr_ash again!

We think we are Gods.

You cannot complain to tell us otherwise! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Same Stop Error, D1 which indicates a Device Driver.

Running through your drivers you are now good to go, except the previous mentioned Logitech drivers. Please try and update / remove anything Logitech that may be redundant.
Also, if as previous, remove µTorrent to see if you settle down.

As the stop error indicates a D1 driver error, you should consider running DriverVerifier, flush the true culprit out. Please see: DriverVerifier - Windows 7 & Vista

To turn off Driver Verifier when finished, Open a Command Prompt or Run... window and type verifier /reset and press Enter/OK.
or
GoTo Start and in the Search or a Run... Window type verifier. Select Delete existing settings and press Finish.

No, but Yes, :D Its up to you. If you are "clean" without µTorrent then run. But if you insist on running µTorrent, Then we'll need to move on.

But, in reality, my 64 bit system is fully up to date regards Windows Update, I test drive things like µTorrent to see if I can create the same issues, its not happening. Maybe, just maybe, you ought to look at what you are trying to download.

Now, far be it for me to get the big pointy finger out, but my Daughter, Brother and I used torrents to swap files. These were safe files. So I'm not going to condemn you for using µTorrent. Just wondering why you do? If you want to keep it personal, pm me.

I use it for different things, i.e. one of the recent thing I downloaded was a game, Link Removed - Invalid URL, which is freely available on torrent. As the seed is the game's developers, I'm pretty sure it's safe and does not contain anything malicious that causes crashes. Also, downloading it from another computer (with seven) doesn't cause any issue (having only this file in download is sufficient to trigger the bsod).

However, the bsod using DriverVerifier was without utorrent running. So it can either be something unrelated, or the actual real problem that utorrent is only triggering.

My 64bit Windows 7 is also up-to-date with windows update, all the driver (every single one now) is the latest version (not beta).

For test purpose I just uninstalled utorrent (completly, included appdata), and reinstalled it with only one really safe download. I'll see if that causes a crash right now.

To answer your question: I could live without utorrent, but if it's not the cause of my problem I would like to figure out what it is.

Pal, I wasn't casting, if you know what I mean.

Just let us know how its going. OK Dude

And:
When attaching dmp files, PLEASE put them in a single zipped folder

Last edited:
Sorry about the dumps.

No worry about you casting :), it's just that it is easy to blame the messenger (and kill him) instead of trying to solve the issue delivered by the message, if you know what I mean. So, after a clean reinstallation, using utorrent with some clean downloads (free songs and a free movie), it still crashes: View attachment dmp.zip

I'm kinda lost, because we already saw that it wasn't a particular version of utorrent (tried the old one, the 64bits one, and the new ones), but utorrent still trigger the bsod. As this issue is only very recent, it cannot simply be that my network card doesn't support a high number of connections or whatever utorrent is doing. As all the drivers are up-to-date, it could be a new version of one of them which has a flaw that utorrent triggers. Or... not.

Maybe the bsod from driver verifier could help us on this.

Last edited:
Back