Windows 7 Dropbox

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I have a small Dropbox account, which I can only think of a few ways to use. Before trying it out, I would like to get confirmation on whether the ideas will work? If I locate the database file for my inventory and movie catalog programs in the Dropbox folder on my computer, then remap those programs to that location, will Dropbox continuously sync those databases to the online storage, so that the info there is always up to date?

It should but, if those programs are open and have the db open, then the db file will most likely be locked so DropBox won't be able to update the db until the program is exited so the lock on the db is removed.

I think I understand what you are saying, but even with the programs open, if you select to save the database, it saves any new data to the database immediately. Even if the database is locked by the program, Dropbox should upload the changes after the programs are closed...right?

Yes, the changes are saved to the db immediately and then once the program is closed I would expect that DropBox will be then be able to upload the db file. Any computers that you are syncing using DropBox will have the db file updated as long as they don't currently have the db open.

I'm just theorizing here, I have never tried this with Dropbox but I believe it should work. I use Dropbox with 3-4 computers and it syncs docs, pictures, videos, etc... fine but I have never tried syncing any dbs.

I know that it will sync any new files, but I'm not sure that it will update an existing file because there have been some minor changes in it, while retaining the same identification as before?

I sent an email to CollectorZ support on this topic, and they made it sound as though it should work. The only caution that they mentioned was to make sure that the database was closed on one computer, before trying to open it on another. I guess that's a green light for me to step on the pedal and see what actually happens.

I don't know if I will be able to make this work or not, because I'm running out of Dropbox space. I probably could make it work, if I spend many tedious hours whittling down some extraneous files I've uploaded, but I'm not inclined to do so, nor am I inclined to pay the price of additional space. So if anyone that doesn't already have a Dropbox account, and is interested in having a free one, and wouldn't mind increasing the size of mine, click on the referral link below:

https://db.tt/K45NYsVu

Have you considered using Skydrive besides DropBox?
Maybe you can split your files between the 2?
I am sure you know Skydrive is free, by Microsoft.
You'll get 7 GB of storage space, if you are a new account.
I am with Skydrive quite a while back and I have 25 GB storage.

No I hadn't, but 7GBs is far better than Dropbox's 2GBs. What I have in mind wouldn't work split between two locations, but then with 7GBs I wouldn't need to split it anyway.

Hmm, I just signed up for an account, and started installing the desktop app, but it presented options that I don't understand. The best I understand, I can have it sync ALL files on my PC (which I definitely don't want to do), or select among four choices, which includes files not in a folder, files in Documents, files in Pictures or files in public. None of these fit my preferences, I only want it to sync the specific files that I place in the local folder, like I do with Dropbox. Can that somehow be done?

I am not sure how to answer your question because I basically use Skydrive for storage.
When I have a new file I want to store, I'll just drop it to Skydrive folder.

I am sure some one with better understanding of the usage will help answering your query.

The way that you do it is the same as I want to do. Didn't you have to set the options I mentioned during installation?

The way that you do it is the same as I want to do. Didn't you have to set the options I mentioned during installation?

It has been quite a few years ago.
No, I don't recall I had to set any options.

See, you talk about syncing.
I just do storing.
At one time, I was heavily involved with a forum. Sometimes, when I answered to a post, I needed a screenshot for illustration. So, I stored those screenshots in Public folder so that I could use them again and again.That is how I started with Skydrive.
I don't think what you are wanting to do is same as mine.

I don't think that syncing is really all that different. When you put a file in the Skydrive folder, it has to be synced for it to be stored online. The only difference is that I also want to to sync via download as well as upload, so it would be usable from different computers.

............... The only difference is that I also want to to sync via download as well as upload, so it would be usable from different computers...................

Sign into Skydrive with the same ID and password. Will that do the trick?

Of course, but that isn't the question. It's just regarding how to set it up on my computer itself. The options it provides don't sound like what you do or what I want.

Sorry, I don't know what else I can say.

Here is a glimpse of my Screenshots folder under Public
Image 1.png

Okay, so you have your Public folder set as the one to sync with Skydrive. That is one of the options I mentioned, but I don't think that I really understand the definition of "Public" in this particular fashion. I don't intend for any of my files to be accessible to the public at large, but do want it to share between my own computers. What does "Public" really mean? Perhaps I'm picking nits, but Dropbox makes it own folder, specifically called Dropbox, and the only way that my online files are accessible to anyone else, is if I give them a link, and even with that link, they can only view or maybe download them, but they can't alter the files themselves.

Last edited:
I have DropBox too. I understand what you had just said.
I like it. It syncs automatically between my 2 laptops.

Public is one that can be shared, but you have to give a link to the people you choose to share with. Just like DropBox.

People who has the link can only access your Public folder. They can view and download, but cannot edit.
They cannot see or even know the existence of the Documents or Pictures folders.

Back
Top Bottom