Windows 7 Dropbox

I think that we are saying the same thing, but with Skydrive no one can access your public folder which is only on your local computer with a link, only the contents of your Skyline storage account online...yes?

I think that we are saying the same thing, but with Skydrive no one can access your public folder which is only on your local computer with a link, only the contents of your Skyline storage account online...yes?

Nobody can access your Public folder unless the person has the link to it. With the link, that person will see the entire contents within the Public folder.

If I'm understanding, the Public folder you are referring to is the one in your Skydrive/Dropbox folder, not the Public folder already in your local folder system on the computer in general...yes? No matter how I read the options on the Skydrive installation wizard, it doesn't make this clear. They really should have someone word this much more clearly.

............ the Public folder you are referring to is the one in your Skydrive/Dropbox folder.............

Yes, that one.

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Good, that only leaves one question mark. The installation options lets one choose which folders to "sync", but it is obvious that even a folder not chosen for "syncing" actually does, otherwise that folder would remain empty and useless. I doubt that Skydrive or Dropbox has a means of determining precisely which computer is connecting if it is connecting with the use of a proper username and password. Syncing is not what is occuring when someone is simply given a link,

One thing with Skydrive isn't any different from Dropbox, they both are as slow as turtles about uploading files, even with it being set to the "high" performance option. They make it sound as though that is out of concern for using too much of our bandwidth, but I think it has more to do with their's.

I don't have your issue because, as I said earlier, I use Skydrive for storing screenshots.
It takes only seconds uploading screenshots.
I use DropBox for songs and calligraphy. Yes, it takes a bit long to upload.

Like they say...... it is free.

A couple of my files are somewhat large, but the vast majority are just image files, probably no bigger than your screenshots, but there are more than a few of them. I don't know about Skydrive, but if like Dropbox, it will probably take at twelve or more hours to finish.

In case you don't know.....
maximum file size for each upload is 100 MB.
excerpt:
On June 20, 2011, Microsoft overhauled the user interface for SkyDrive, built using HTML5 technologies. Microsoft also doubled the file size limit from 50 MB to 100 MB per file.....
Source

Thanks for telling me, I'll try to keep that in mind, but I don't believe that any of the files in question are that large, there is just a lot of them.

One last post and I am out of your hair.
In light of you having a lot of files to upload to Skydrive.....
you can drag and drop multiple files at the same time. Ctrl +A can be used to upload the entire folder files.

My file manager is easier than that, it has a single click button to copy/paste any highlighted files or folders from one directory to another. As far as being in anyone's hair, that I think would be more descriptive of myself. Thanks for your help.

In case you don't know.....
maximum file size for each upload is 100 MB.
excerpt:
On June 20, 2011, Microsoft overhauled the user interface for SkyDrive, built using HTML5 technologies. Microsoft also doubled the file size limit from 50 MB to 100 MB per file.....
Source
That is old, notice the stated date was June 20, 2011? The quote is from the History section of the article. Here is an excerpt from the first paragraph of the same article: "The service is built using HTML5 technologies,[4] and files up to 300 MB can be uploaded via drag and drop into the web browser,[5] or up to 2 GB via the SkyDrive desktop application for Microsoft Windows and OS X."

I have MP4 video files as large as 1.3GB in my Skydrive Video folder.

Your post reminded me of my free Dropbox account that I've not been using since Skydrive came out. I logged in and I was surprised to find out that I have 25+GB of space on it and I don't know why.

dropbox.jpg

That is old, notice the stated date was June 20, 2011? The quote is from the History section of the article. Here is an excerpt from the first paragraph of the same article: "The service is built using HTML5 technologies,[4] and files up to 300 MB can be uploaded via drag and drop into the web browser,[5] or up to 2 GB via the SkyDrive desktop application for Microsoft Windows and OS X."

I have MP4 video files as large as 1.3GB in my Skydrive Video folder.

Interesting.
It maybe hard, very hard to believe, but the article was updated after I posted the excerpt and the link.
see this screenshot.............notice the from 50MB to 100MB part of the sentence.
max upload.png

Last edited:
Checking the progress of my upload, it says that 1.8GBs of 5.1GBs is done, but this is now ~6 hours after commencing. At this rate it won't be finished for about another 11 hours. If the rate of progress was based on my available bandwidth, it should complete ~600MB/h, and finish in ~2.5 hours from now. Thus as I said, they are conserving their bandwidth, not our's.

Checking the progress of my upload, it says that 1.8GBs of 5.1GBs is done, but this is now ~6 hours after commencing. At this rate it won't be finished for about another 11 hours. If the rate of progress was based on my available bandwidth, it should complete ~600MB/h, and finish in ~2.5 hours from now. Thus as I said, they are conserving their bandwidth, not our's.

GEEZ !
I don't have your kind of patience.
I almost aborted installing service pack after one hour !

edit : I wrote "impatience" instead of "patience". I made the correction. Sorry.

Last edited:
If it were something that I had to attend to, like installing an OS, then I would have run out of patience long ago myself, but it doesn't. it simply means that I must wait longer than is desirable. Yet if it accomplshes what I hope, then it is worth waiting for.

Back