Windows 7 Dropbox

The only reason that I was looking for a folder is because that is what it looks like to me, in the router's configuration as I pointed to back in post #71. If that has nothing to do with locating the drive, then what is it for?

EDIT: When I go to the Computer link on the Start Menu, the window that it opens looks like this:

View attachment 25483

Note that the Network at the bottom has none of the sub-categories that your's has.

Computer 2.png

Last edited:
On the setup link that I sent to you, there is a procedure there with regards to "login". Under "Mapping Network Drive" portion, Step 5.
Follow the hyperlink "here" on the "Note" to set up your username/password or disable it if you can.

login2.jpg

It was never this complicated with my ASUS router. :)

You must remember that you are dealing with a person of very limited memory. I have no idea of what setup link that you are referring to, but looking at your screenshot, It appears that the login you are referring to is the one necessary to enter the configuration wizard when entering 192.168.1.1 in the browser's address bar. Unless you are referring to something else, I already know how to do that, but but the only username/password that can be changed there is for the router configuration, not for the Windows login that we have been discussing. Please elaborate.

I think that I'm sending up a white flag for the time being, because the first step it called for was to select the storage tab in the configuration, where it should list any drives connected, but it shows none, even after hitting the refresh button. I have no idea of why, except that it doesn't list either my hard drive or docking station on their compatibility list. The only thing that might possibly change that is that I found a firmware update for the router, which I will run on it a bit later. However I found no changelog or description of what the update would effect, and I somehow doubt that it would this.

I meant go back to this: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...d4e24a6a468280c3cf270c1d6a31_21517.xml&pid=96

Scroll down until you see the login thing. There's a link there to set it up on your router. This link: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=96&vw=1&articleid=21518

EDIT: Don't confuse that with router login. That login setup is for accessing the network drive. It's the one that keeps you from mapping the drive. But to avoid stressing out your memory too much, use the same username & password as your router login if you can.

Last edited:
Perhaps the reason hat I forgot what you were referring to is because that is old ground already covered. That login info is the same as that used to access the online configuration, and the screen shown when selecting the Advanced settings link is the same screen shown when going through the browser's address bar method. Therefore the only thing that I could do is to simply change the login data, but I see no reason why changing it would have any effect on being able to access the drive.

As you stated previously, the login that seems to be barring the way is coming from Windows, not the router.

I finally got my movie catalog running on the HTPC via Skydrive. I thought that it should take a lot less time for it to download data to it, than it did to upload it from the desktop in the first place, but I was very wrong. In fact, it took longer, which must mean that MS governs the rate of data transfer, but I still would think that download would be at least somewhat faster than upload. At least now that the bulk of data is in place, data updates won't be much of a factor bandwidth-wise.

I don't know if Skydrive will work as well as I hoped or not, because after adding a dozen videos to the desktop catalog, I opened the HTPC catalog, and found that while the image files had been updated, the catalog didn't show the added videos. I can only guess that the reason is that Skydrive didn't detect the changes in the database itself, thus didn't update it.

I have been looking for a way to cause Skydrive to refresh everything, but it doesn't appear to have that option. Since the active database file is already in the Skydrive folder, would simply removing it until it disappeared on the HTPC and then putting it back be the best solution?

Back