Windows 7 Dual boot and sharing files problem

Rendt

I have added Win7 in a separate partition to my Vista system. Win7 is thus on a separate drive in a shared file system. Dual boot gives me the option to choose OS. Everything is running fine.

However, when I open files in W7 from the drive with Vista it turns out security setting give me only read access for the logged on user. Folder security settings give full access, so to remedy that I have to change the settings for individual files. This is not feasible to do for the hundreds of files that I regularly access let alone archives and more. Resaving as new files would create a nightmare of duplicate files.

While I am not ready to completely change over to a beta (possibly the RC next month) I want to continue working with both systems in parallel. I am satisfied that my backup systems can handle beta-type disasters so all I need at this point is to change security settings wholsesale across C drive to give me 'full control' access from within W7.

How can I gain full control of files in the file system normally managed by Vista?

To gain full control of files in the file system managed by Vista from within Windows 7, you can adjust the ownership and permissions settings for the files and folders at a higher level, such as the drive root or parent folders. This will cascade the permissions down to the contained files and subfolders, ensuring consistent access across all files without having to modify each one individually.

Here's a step-by-step guide to achieve this:

### Step 1: Take Ownership of the Drive or Parent Folder
1. Right-click on the drive or parent folder you want to adjust the permissions for.
2. Select "Properties" from the context menu.
3. Go to the "Security" tab and click on the "Advanced" button.
4. In the "Advanced Security Settings" window, navigate to the "Owner" tab.
5. Click on the "Change" link next to the current owner's name.
6. Enter your user account name under "Enter the object name to select" and click "Check Names" to validate.
7. Click "OK" and then "Apply" to take ownership.

### Step 2: Modify Permissions for Full Control
1. Again, right-click on the drive or parent folder and choose "Properties."
2. Access the "Security" tab and click on the "Edit" button.
3. Select your user account from the list of Group or User Names.
4. Check the box for "Full Control" under "Allow."
5. Click "Apply" and then "OK" to confirm the changes.

### Step 3: Apply Changes to All Files and Subfolders
1. If prompted, choose to apply the settings to all files and folders within the drive or parent folder.

After completing these steps, you should have full control over all files and folders within the specified location in the shared file system managed by Vista, allowing you to access, modify, and save files without encountering permission issues.

It's important to exercise caution when changing permissions at the drive or system level, as it can impact the security and stability of your system. Make sure to back up important data before making these changes. Let me know if you need further assistance with this process!

Back