Windows 7 Dual Boot

IanHenderson73

I've been running Windows 2008 Server for a while now, and have decided to install a copy of Windows 7 onto one of the other partitions. When I did so, I opted for the Advanced installation and selected that other partition as the destination volume.

Now however, when I start my computer it automatically boots in Windows 7, and I can't see how to change the setup so that it gives me the option to select the Operating System that I want to boot into.

Can someone help me?

• press [windows key] + [r] and type "msconfig" (without quotes) then press [enter]
  • when the popup cicks in, select the boot tab and make and any changes you need.
    Screenshot (53).png
  • I assume you have both systems on the same disc? ... you also want to tell each disc management to ignore the other systems c drive or Windows WILL become unstable.

• press [windows key] + [r] and type "msconfig" (without quotes) then press [enter]
  • when the popup cicks in, select the boot tab and make and any changes you need.View attachment 32123
  • I assume you have both systems on the same disc? ... you also want to tell each disc management to ignore the other systems c drive or Windows WILL become unstable.

I tried that, and got much the same screen as you displayed, except that mine obviously shows Windows 7. The issue I've got is that I can't see how I would go about getting the other OS listed. Also, the two OS' are installed on separate discs - Windows 7 is on the C drive while Windows 2008 is on D.

Screenshot (46).png

a dual boot system will have two options at least... if you only have one then you buggered up the install process and have bigger problems.

Hi Ian,

You may not be aware, but WIN SERVER 2008 any version will not like being run from a non C: boot drive!! That violates just about every rule in the book for Server 2008 installation in Microsoft documentation as well as SDK kit policy. So unless you are a developer or just foolin' around (I have a Server 2008 running on a dell poweredge 2650 server; sort of, PSU died last year), what you are trying to do is a no-go.:noway:

Server's are NOT designed for dual-boot with a standard retail home user version of Windows. Period. Especially, if this server or pc you are attempting this is located in a business or enterprise location. Not a Best-Practice move there friend.

If you are a developer or a foolin' around person here; you can get the Win7 dual boot to work (sort of!) by installing the Server 2008 on the C: Drive and the Win7 on separate partition also on the C: drive as long as you install the Win7 AFTER the Server2008.:blow: Server 2008 disk management won't take kindly to running another OS, whether Windows or Linux or Unix, or Solaris or whatever on an external drive. In any case, you are attempting to run an unsupported configuration, so it may or may not work. Certainly, if you've gone through certification classes on server, you would know this. If not, it's a new thing to learn.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

The rule of thumb when instaling multiple versions of Windows is always install the oldest first. If you don't, the older versions don't recognize the newer and override the BCD store. You could manually add a BCD entry for Server 2008 to resolve the issue

Back