Windows 10 dual boot

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I have a 600 GB hard drive and run Win 10 -clean install.
I would like to use the Windows 7 the pc came with.
Can I shrink the drive by 100GB and install Windows 7 on the new partition I would create without hurting Windows 10?
I have never done this before so could use a few tips.

Technically speaking yes you can have both Windows 7 and Windows 10 on one device; however, you will need two licenses to do it legally.

The easiest way to dual boot multiple versions of Windows is always install the oldest version first. When you install the other way the older version doesn't detect the newer version and you will end up having to repair the other install.

Well I do have a licenses for 7 as it came with the pc then as I upgraded Windows gave me a license for Win 10.
I have since done a clean install.
I am glad I asked because I have win 10 installed and was going to shrink, create a simple new one and install 7.
Can you think of a way I can get around this? I do have an image of 10.

Which license do I have? I bought 7 upgraded to 8 then 8.1 then 10. Lastly created an iso of 10 and did a clean install.
Do I not have a license of 7 b/c windows gave us 31 days to use it or lose it?
My disc is OEM and I have the discs I created that windows advises when 7 is first purchased.
Windows 7 in not installed in any pc, if that makes a difference.

Depends, if you bought a full Windows 8 license then you should be fine to use the 7 key

The only purchase was 7 when I bought the machine and the 40$ windows asked to upgrade. I also paid for the media 40.$
I just checked my win7 key for validity and it failed.
My big error was to remove the 7,8,8.1,10 OS's I had on external drive.

If it was an upgrade license then you can't legally use the Windows 7 license

I apologized in the other thread for cross posting. Thanks again.
I'll get a BT dongle as I lost BT when I migrated to 8 from 7 which had it..

Back