Windows 7 Dual Booting Thread Again

HONDO209

I've searched, but couldn't find an answer, sorry if this has been asked before.

I have two hard drives, 1 had xp pro and the second had windows 7. Xp was installed first from a while ago, and 7 just recently. I decided to try out my Vista Ultimate again, so I formatted my Xp drive and installed Vista over it. But now, I can't see my Windows 7 to boot into, goes straight into Vista. Any help would be appreciated. :redface:

Windows 7 has installed its boot manager into the XP partition. With formatting the XP partition you have deleted this boot manager.

To recreate:
  1. Boot from Windows 7 installation DVD.
  2. On second boot screen use "Repair your computer"
  3. This should recreate the boot manager into the Vista partition and perhaps integrate Windows 7 and Vista in the boot menu
If only Windows 7 starts:
  1. Boot again from Windows 7 installation DVD.
  2. On second boot screen use "Repair your computer"
  3. Then "Next"
  4. Then "Startup Repair"

EasyBCD 1.7.2 is a tool that may help too. Its a boot editor for multi-boot configurations. It's a free download and has proved very useful to me for similar actions.

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

You can create new entries, edit existing entries, and change boot order. Their iReboot tool is also useful for quick reboots to an alternate OS version.

Ed

Back