Windows 7 Dual-Booting w/ Vista & W7BETA Build 7000. Help Please

GHuysmans

Hey guys,

This is my first post and I seek some help. I know a fair amount about computers, but obviously not enough to get past this problem.
I recently purchase an external hard drive so I can try to install W7 BETA onto the hard drive, but I'm not too familiar with the virtual machines..
So instead of going through all the hassle, I decided to just split up my C: Drive partition to make an 18 GB one to install W7 just so I won't overwrite my Vista.
My first try, I had 0 MB of volume to make a new partition. So I proceeded to defrag my HDD using SmartDisk and to also mess around with the System Files to make more space. I then got plenty of space to make a new partition. I then proceeded to make a partition. I get an error message saying:
"Logical Disk Manager - Access is denied."
I was baffled at the time, and after all the patience I went through to make space I wasn't going to give up.
I searched around the internet some more to find a solution, and I did.
I now created the partition of 18 GB, and now I have to use the "New Simple Volume..." function to make it possible for W7 to install. I then use the function, make it my I: Drive, (doesn't really matter), but then I come along to this problem:
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Frankly, the Image says it all..
I am also running a Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS, if that makes a difference..
Hopefully this post has enough information for someone to help me, and I hope I made a good impression for my first post!!
Thanks to anyone willing to help.

EDIT: If this is not in the appropriate board, please move it.

Last edited:
Do NOT convert your disk to a dynamic disk, dangerous terretory. Instead, make a partition instead of a "simple volume".

How about a screen shot of your Disk Management Screen.

I essentially did exactly what you are trying to do, and left my disk as a basic disk. I had a hard time "Shrinking" it, but eventually got it, then left the space for Win7 as unallocated space, and let Win7 create the partition.

Last edited:
As de Silentio said do not convert it to a dynamic disc as it can be dangerous in many situations. Do not do that unless you absolutely know what you are doing. Please provide the screen shot of your windows 7 disk management screen. From everyone i have talked to they have all had no success at installing windows 7 on an external hard drive.

I just want to thank you guys for trying to give me a hand.
Here's the screenshot that was requested:
Again, thank you

EDIT: I also don't know what the first and last partition is for.

Sorry for the double post, guys..

Do NOT convert your disk to a dynamic disk, dangerous terretory. Instead, make a partition instead of a "simple volume".

How about a screen shot of your Disk Management Screen.

I essentially did exactly what you are trying to do, and left my disk as a basic disk. I had a hard time "Shrinking" it, but eventually got it, then left the space for Win7 as unallocated space, and let Win7 create the partition.

I tried what you did, but I got this error message:
If you can't read the message, it says;
"Windows cannot be install to this hard disk space. The selected disk has the maximum number of partitions of this type."
Does that mean I have to delete one of my partitions on Disk 0?
There's my D: drive which is for Recovery, then there's that lonely little bugger that's taking up 6.1 GB, that is for some reason there and I'm not sure what's on it. (See above post for the picture)

Last edited:
Okay, I know what the problem is now. A basic disk can only have four partitions. So you can't create a fifth partition, that is why it wanted you to convert to dynamic (which again, you should not do.)

You have two options (excluding the dynamic disk option): 1. delete one of your other partitions by merging it with another one, 2. Try doing an extended partition with logical disks. #1 is your best option, I don't know if #2 is possible but I have read that it is.

My guess is that the 6.1 is a restore partition also. You can assign it a drive letter, then see what is on it.

Yes!!
I finally got it working. Thanks guys.
But I have one more problem..
When I have the extra 6.05 GB of the disk that's Unallocated, it won't let me merge it with my C: (Vista) / V: (Beta)
It only gives me a "New Simple Volume" option, and none of my other partitions give me an "Extend Volume" option..

I was also stupid enough to download the 32-bit version of W7. Should've went with the 64-bit:cool:

With Win2k3 server, in order to extend the volume, the unallocated space has to be "next to" the drive that you are trying to extend. It looks like that may be the case with your system. So, if you deleted the 6.05, you should be able to extend the D: (if you can't, I don't know why)

Back