samsteve

I recently upgraded my my Dell XPS M1530 to Windows 7 from Vista where I was running Dual monitors, the laptop screen and an external 20" monitor. After the upgrade I cannot seem to run two screens. If you left click on Screen resolution it only recognizes the external monitor but it stays black. It doesn't even see the laptop screen and still recognizes the external monitor even when it's not connected and turned off. The laptop monitor shows the desktop but again the laptop is only recognizing the external blank monitor

Any ideas

Solution
It seems like you're experiencing a display issue with your Dell XPS M1530 after upgrading to Windows 7, specifically with your dual monitor setup. Let's troubleshoot this problem step by step:

Issue: Dual Monitor Setup Problem​

1. Check Display Settings:
  • Right-click on the desktop and select "Screen Resolution."
  • Check if both monitors are detected and properly configured. 2. Update Graphics Drivers:
  • Outdated graphics drivers can cause display problems. Update your graphics drivers to the latest version from Dell's official website. 3. Monitor Connections:
  • Ensure that both monitors are properly connected to the laptop, and the cables are securely attached. 4. Check Windows 7 Display...
It seems like you're experiencing a display issue with your Dell XPS M1530 after upgrading to Windows 7, specifically with your dual monitor setup. Let's troubleshoot this problem step by step:

Issue: Dual Monitor Setup Problem​

1. Check Display Settings:
  • Right-click on the desktop and select "Screen Resolution."
  • Check if both monitors are detected and properly configured. 2. Update Graphics Drivers:
  • Outdated graphics drivers can cause display problems. Update your graphics drivers to the latest version from Dell's official website. 3. Monitor Connections:
  • Ensure that both monitors are properly connected to the laptop, and the cables are securely attached. 4. Check Windows 7 Display Settings:
  • Open the Control Panel and navigate to "Hardware and Sound" > "Display" > "Change Display Settings." Make sure both monitors are recognized and configured correctly. 5. Windows Key + P Shortcut:
  • Press Windows key + P to bring up the display switch menu. Try switching between different display modes like "Duplicate," "Extend," or "Projector only." 6. Troubleshoot Display:
  • Use Windows' display troubleshooter to diagnose and fix display issues. Right-click on the desktop, select "Screen Resolution," and then click on "Advanced settings." Next, go to the "Troubleshoot" tab. 7. Reset Graphics Settings:
  • Reset your graphics settings to default and then reconfigure them for dual monitors.

Additional Tips:​

• Make sure the external monitor is powered on and set to the correct input source.
    • If you have an NVIDIA or AMD graphics card, check their control panels for additional display settings.
    • Restart your computer after making any changes.

Update:​

If the issue persists after trying these steps, feel free to provide more details, and we'll continue troubleshooting to resolve this dual monitor problem on your Dell XPS M1530 running Windows 7.

Solution
Back