Windows 7 Duplicated data

Captain Hook

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, after installation & upddating drivers I notice the lack of space on my hard drive. A windows.old file on the c: had been created. I deleted all the files that are no longer in use, but this was on a small amount. I have lost 220GB of space on my HD of the 500GB, leaving me with +/- 60GB of space. What has take up all the my space and where or how can I find these files and rectify this problem

Hi Captain Hook,
check the screenshot to see if your system protection setting isn't set too high (you'll see what I mean).
When 7 first installs it creates a 100mb partition for files but yours is 220GB!
I'd also checking storage manager and see what that's saying..

Lastly, if you 'upgraded' from vista then we have found that it's usually best to perform a clean install.

Those backups are mainly for your use and a possible rollback decision by you. If you have extracted all the information you think you need, you can go to the Start Menu, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup.

Open it and it will check the drive you what to clean up. After the main window comes up there is a "Clean System Files" button. Hit that it the drive will be rescanned. You can then view files and select which ones you want to remove. The backup files/logs you might look for are the Windows.old, which you know, and some hidden system files that start with $...

After you clean, you should see more room on your drive.

Back
Top Bottom