Windows 7 DVD / CD drive's disappeared ..... again!

Euzkadi

Hi,
Randy previously answered this problem with the suggestion that I disallow Windows Updates to overwrite my DVD drivers. I did that and it worked until the next update came down. Now, it's back to square one. When I tried to re-install the DVD driver, I got the following message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I've used UniBlue to reset the Registry to well before the problem ocurred, but the problem persists. Any clues? Anybody? Randy? Everything else is behaving normally.

Cheers,
Euzkadi

Right click "My computer" and click "Manage" (the second one, mine is in French so I do my best to translate), then select "peripheral managment" and select your DVD. Right click on it and click properties. Check the message.

Ok, so I've made it more complex than it should. In the control panel click "peripheral management" and select your DVD. Right click and hit properties. Check message.

Can you see the DVD in the Device manager? If so, right clcck it and uninstall. reboot the computer and it should reinstall, and at the same time, rewrite the correct registry entry.
If this does not do the trick, it is possibly that one of yopur DVD programs has wrongly prescribed the DVD filters. The recommended (Microsoft) fix for this requires a registry edit.:

Type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.

In the right pane, if you have UpperFilters, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
In the right pane, if you have LowerFilters, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs.

Back