Windows 7 DVD drive can't read or write disks

Dorian Diaconu

OK so since I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on this computer ( it is the first operating system installed on it) I can not write any DVDs .A strange fact is that I can write and read CDs and also read DVDs, but not every time.I got an original CD Album and it's still not recognized by the PC for example, and this happens to many audio CDs.

I tried many registry tricks and stuff like that but in vain.

The computer is new, bought it one month ago.

DVD+RW - Sony Optiaric AD-7260S

I also tired to resolve the problem with FixIt but it was also useless.I kept getting the message:

"The disc in drive [E:] is not detected, or is not supported"

Hope someone can help me.

Thank you very much!

Even though your computer is new, did you see if there is an updated driver from the computer manufacturer (if the drive came with your computer) or Sony? Your problem sounds like a corrupt driver, so reload it from the corresponding Web site (not the disk that came with the drive), reboot, and let us know what you find.

Even though your computer is new, did you see if there is an updated driver from the computer manufacturer (if the drive came with your computer) or Sony? Your problem sounds like a corrupt driver, so reload it from the corresponding Web site (not the disk that came with the drive), reboot, and let us know what you find.

I tried to update the driver but it's no use.It's already the latest version.

@fungo

It's not happening only to me, but also with my neigbour.I don't it's because of the bad drive as long as I can read some DVDs or CDs and even burn CDs.

@fungo

It's not happening only to me, but also with my neigbour.I don't it's because of the bad drive as long as I can read some DVDs or CDs and even burn CDs.

Did you hook the drive up on his computer? I don't understand.

Last edited:
There are many things that can cause a CD/DVD drive to fail on some function.
An old problem that still bites some users in the B*** is the Combo Drive. It will read and write
CD's but will only read DVD's. Another problem, not so often found these days, is that some
drives don't like certain brands of disks.
Also, some brands of drives are just plain finicky, about what disks they will read and write to.
I've found several Sony drives that had to be replaced, because they were just too picky about what they would read.
CD's written on some other drive are always suspect. That drive may have been failing or it could have been out of alignment.
Factory produced disks should always be readable on any drive, (because they are stamped, not burned,) unless the drive is just plain BAD.

Good Luck!
Old Timer :cool:

Last edited:
There are many things that can cause a CD/DVD drive to fail on some function.
An old problem that still bites some users in the B*** is the Combo Drive. It will read and write
CD's but will only read DVD's. Another problem, not so often found these days, is that some
drives don't like certain brands of disks.
Also, some brands of drives are just plain finicky, about what disks they will read and write to.
I've found several Sony drives that had to be replaced, because they were just too picky about
what they would read.
CD's written on some other drive are always suspect. That drive may have been failing or it could
have been out of alignment.
Factory produced disks should always be readable on any drive, unless it's just plain BAD.

Good Luck!
Old Timer :cool:

So apart from this there aren't any ways?Like some registry settings or I don't know some tweaks like this.

You stated you tried registry hacks. Did you t y This
Run "regedit" Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CURRENT CONTROL SET - CONTROL - CLASS

Find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
It should look like this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete the upper and lower filters.
Restart the computer and see if things are OK.

You stated you tried registry hacks. Did you t y This
Run "regedit" Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CURRENT CONTROL SET - CONTROL - CLASS

Find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
It should look like this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete the upper and lower filters.
Restart the computer and see if things are OK.

I can't find there the upper/lower filters sadly.I already tried this.

There is more than one entry with the name {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Only the one given in the path I posted will work.You are 100% certain you looked into the right entry?
If so, see if it can be detected and used in safe mode.

The same in safe mode.

Do you think reinstalling the Windows might be an idea?I remember that I applied some registry tweaks in the beginning to make it faster.

If that is an option (some users neglect it!) then it may solve the problem without further complications. Tip (too late) if you plan registry changes, export the registry or keys first!

I reinstalled the Windows yesterday.Everything was OK.I burnt a DVD, and played an (original) audio CD (everything was OK excepting the fact that they were showing the name `unknown`).

But sadly today it isn't working anymore!

I got both the HDD and the DVD-RW on the IDE MASTER CHANNELS.I read on the internet that the DVD-RW should be on SLAVE.

I think I'll try that tomorrow.

i have the same exact issue with my drive. i got an hp pavilion g series and i just got it about a month ago. i cant figure out why. i did everything posted on this site too :(
if someone can help please write back
\

Back