DVD DRIVE only recognized as a burner

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by banthonyb71, Mar 16, 2012.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 New Member

Hello, I was wondering if somone could help me out. My dvd r, rw was allowing me to watch movies. but now windows 7 is only recognizing it as a burn and will not allow me to play dvds. If I put a DVD in to play it, the disc ejects and windows asks me to insert a a disc into d drive.

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Try reinstalling/updating the drivers. If that doesn't work try removing the device from hardware manager, rebooting and letting Windows detect and reinstall.

3. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 New Member

I tried that as recommended and it didnt work. Windows says the driver is up to date and driver is properly installed. basically windows 7 thinks I have 2 drives. and its acting like it will only allow me to burn disks to the one and is requesting I put a playable disc into a none existent one. I know my Lite on plays DVD's because it did before. just dont know how to do it.??

4. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 New Member

Can someone help me?

5. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Do you have any third party burning or DVD writing software?

Have you shut your system completely down before a restart?

6. catilley1092

catilley1092 Extraordinary Member

As I replied in another thread in regards to DVD/CD issues, there is a free tool from Microsoft that may help. There are no promises, but it won't hurt to try it out.

Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues

This is best to be ran from IE, as some extensions that users add to other browsers may prevent the software from doing it's job.

Cat