Windows 10 DVD Player

EricT29

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. Now my DVD Player no longer works -- "Unknown Drive", DVD keeps on ejecting. I tried many suggestions from people on many forums but nothing works.

Hi @EricT29! Welcome to the forum! Tried many suggestion doesn't help us much.
What do you see in devise manager? Are there any yellow marks. You may get more replies about your issue from other members.
Also when you ask for help, the more information you can provide us, the easier it is for us to help you. What is your PC make and model;)

What is the make of computer? Some manufacturers have proprietary patches for your problem.

The DVD player app was removed from Win10; you must create a Microsoft Account login for your Windows10, and that means you have to create a new Microsoft Account if you don't already have one such as a Hotmail.com or Outlook.com E-mail address, or link your existing E-mail address to your existing or new Microsoft Live ID or Account. Then log into the Microsoft and purchase and download the new Win10 DVD player from the Microsoft App Store for $14.99--that's right, you now have to buy it in order to play movies or music cd's on your computer! Once you install the new W10 Media Player, you'll be good to go! :up:

There are some other free apps that will do an Ok job, but they have limitations and issues. I have a couple of customers who had to do this so I have been through it. It's not a commonly known piece of information; but it's out there on the Microsoft forums and other computer help forums as well if you google it.

Good luck! :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks, Ross.:redface: Yeah, I tried putting VLC on one of my Customer's laptops that I did a Win7-->W10 upgrade on, but she couldn't play some of the DVD movie discs she owned with it since it had DRC protected content and can only work with Windows Media Player or certain fee-based media players apparently.:scratch: She bought it--I can't remember the name of the darn thing; but it was also $14.99; the same price as the Microsoft Media Player in the MS App store. That's how I found out about the issue.

And yes, the VLC player is available for free download in the MS App store; I had her try that first.

Best,
BBJ

"I never considered he meant the actual DVD player"

Me too. lol. But in his first post, he did refer a couple of times to the hardware??
He should not have to install a third party option to play a DVD in Windows , though.

Hi @EricT29! Welcome to the forum! Tried many suggestion doesn't help us much.
What do you see in devise manager? Are there any yellow marks. You may get more replies about your issue from other members.
Also when you ask for help, the more information you can provide us, the easier it is for us to help you. What is your PC make and model;)

It is an Inspiron 3521. There is not yellow "warning" by the DVD in the Device Manager. If selected it noted that it is working properly. It definitely appears to be a conflict problem. I tried to install updated drivers but it said that it was up to date although the date of the driver for the DVD was 2006.

Have you gone to the Dell website, your model number, and looked for Windows 10 drivers for your DVD player?

Right click the start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin)

Copy and paste this line at the prompt. This is a patch from Dell, which has worked on one computer where I had the same problem

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Back