Windows 7 DVD+-RW mistaken for CD-ROM

smeagle5

Hi, i recently upgraded to windows 7 beta (x64) and lost access to my DVD drive completely. When going into device manager, there is a caution symbol on my DVD drive. When i attempt to update driver, W7 tries to install a generic CD-ROM driver.

The drive is a TEAC DVD+-RW DVW28SLC ATA Device.

Is there a way i can force W7 to attempt to install a generic DVD+-RW driver as i seem to be at a lose looking for a driver from TEAC's website.

Thanks

Did you install iTunes?

Just wondering if you have installed iTunes on your Windows 7 machine?

If you did, there is a known issue that can be easily fixed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Apparently it seems that this is an age old fix for even XP systems. If you venture to the registry key above by doing the following steps:
  1. Click on the start menu.
  2. In the search box type in “regedit” without the quotation marks.
  3. Maximize the HKLM and then go ahead and browse until you reach the key listed above.
  4. In the right panel you’ll see something along the lines of “UpperFilter” and “LowerFilter” you want to click on each “filter” key and hit delete. Click yes when it asks to confirm if you wish to delete the key.
  5. Restart Windows.
As always, no warranty is implied here, and you edit the registry at your own risk. You might want to make sure you have a good backup prior to doing any registry editing.

Good luck and let us know if this was the problem.

NOTE: This could also be caused by other applications that make changes to your CD/DVD drives, not just iTunes.

Last edited:
No itunes, but i will try it anyways

Worked perfectly. Restart was not even required. I edited the registry, uninstalled the device from device manager and rescanned my computer for new hardware and it found the proper driver and the DVD drive showed up in Computer now!!!

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Glad I could help.

This could be caused by a lot of different programs that take control of your CD/DVD, like Nero, iTunes, some of the virtual CD rom programs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom