Windows Vista DVD/RW Problems

leebert

Hi all, Have been having a few problems with my 2 dvd drives/writers. They will not read any cd or dvd's not even originals, Just says prepare blank disc. Was having problems with windows updates not updating so decided to re-install vista also had a virus which avg8 missed completely trojunvundo. The drives were like this before re-installing vista. I am running vista home premium 32bit. Have tried updating drivers but theres no problem there as they say that i'm running latest drivers available.
In device manager it lists them as DVDRW IDE 1008 ATA Device & SONY DVD RW AW-G170 ATA Device, Its showing blank disk in my computer. Virus free now since reinstall.
Thanks in advance
LeeBert

When was the last time that they worked? What I mean is... What has changed to make them stop working?

You could try updating the firmware (if there is one) which you'll find on the manufacturers site .

Hi Kemical,
Thanks for getting back to me sorry for the delayed reply as i've been working nights. Have tried the firmware but without joy. I think i started having problems when i tried to upgrade from Nero7 to Nero 8.
Now another baffling thing has happened. It has managed to read a cd after a reboot. but will only read the one disc & even after ejecting it still see's the disc as being inserted.
Cheers
LeeBert:confused::confused:

Hmm.... Nero 8 you say.. I'm sure I read another post with someone having problems with nero 8. Nero's advice was to upgrade to nero9 as vista and nero8 have problems. So try un-installing nero and seeing if thats your problem..

Back