Windows 7 DVDRW disappearing

hyunelan2

I recently built a new desktop (specs below), running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1 installed. Everything was flawless for the first month or so.

Now I have a problem. Randomly, my DVDRW drive (Lite-On SATA drive, about 9 months old) just disappears. I started noticing it last night. I tried to burn an ISO and had DMA driver CRC errors. Then I couldn't burn ANYTHING. I've burned on this drive in this computer plenty of times before this, both CDs and DVDs. Last night nothing would burn at all, under any method (windows or Nero).

So, I went to the device manager and disabled DMA. In PIO mode, the ISO burned fine. Then, I turned on the DMA again and the ISO continued to burn without an issue.

But, sometimes the computer takes an exceptionally long time to boot, then the DVDRW is not present. It's not in "Computer" and it also is not listed in the Device Manager. It IS found durning the BIOS startup messages though? Even more odd, the last time I booted the comptuer the drive was there. I purposely left it on and about 2 hours later (comptuer still on, no sleep/hibernation) the drive was gone.

I tried to update drivers, but it said they were the most up to date. I checked the firmware and went from version 5 to 6, then restarted and Vista picked up new drivers for the burner. That didn't help the disappearing.

I read about removing some upperlimit and lowerlimit settings in the registry, but I do not have any registry entries for upperlimit or lowerlimit.

Is the DVDRW bad? If I change it out with another will the problem go away?

Specs:
Biostar TForce TP43D2A7 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
OCZ Platinum PC2-8500 2x2GB
WD Cavier SE16 SATA hard drive
Sapphire Radeon HD4850
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Have you tried changing the jumper settings at the back? If it's on master change it to C/S or cable select... Not sure if this is a solution but it may be worth a try??

I've just seen it's a SATA sorry...

Back