Windows 7 DX11 Cards

Was the wait worth it? Will you be buying one?

• Price is too high so no to Fermi..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I bought a 5000 series and am happy..

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Both Fermi and 5000 series way too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At last! Can't wait to get my Fermi.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm waiting until the price drops.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I'm going to wait for the refresh and 512 cores

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
I bet you'll be fine with that Q6600 as they're pretty awesome chips in their own right...;)

I'll be updating myself in Jan/Feb depending on prices... What you thinking of getting?

Working Fermi?

A few hours ago, the Nvidia engineers running the company’s Facebook page uploaded a picture of what appears to be the first working sample of a 40nm GF100 high-end card based on Fermi architecture, the first to make its way on the internet.

first_working_gf100.jpg

Original size

The image was uploaded at 9:45pm PST and depicts the Geforce desktop card running Uningine’s Heaven DirectX 11 benchmark on a Dell 24-inch monitor, so we can rationally assume that the benchmark resolution is 1920x1200. The core hardware configuration appears to be composed of an ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 motherboard coupled with undetermined Core i7 processor and DDR3 memory.

Upon close inspection in Photoshop with the help of others, it appears that the 40nm Fermi-based GF100 monster is using a PCI-Express 8-pin adapter on the left and a 6-pin adapter on the right, so nothing is new in terms of PSU hardware requirements for enthusiast consumers. It is important to note that this particular engineering sample GPU is using the recently taped-out Link Removed due to 404 Error. Our multiple internal sources have previously confirmed that the company will move to A3 silicon for its final retail products.

Two days ago, Nvidia publicly demonstrated its first working GPU samples based on Fermi architecture during SC 2009 (Super Computer Convention). SC is the international conference for high-performance computing, networking, storage and analysis, where the company unveiled the Tesla 20-series lineup priced respectively between $2,499 and $18,995. As previously stated, these Fermi GPUs catered toward the High Performance Computing (HPC) market segment are not expected to launch in Q2 2010, while the high-end Geforce desktop units as depicted in the image above are expected to be announced shortly after CES 2010 passes (January 7th – 10th) and will launch earlier, sometime in Q1 2010.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I'll be updating myself in Jan/Feb depending on prices... What you thinking of getting?
I'm not sure, I want to get an ATI Radeon HD 5970, but on the other hand if the new Nvidia card is good and not too pricey, I would want the 3D goggle setup....decisions decisions. :p

Same here..I want to see what nvidias card is like before I take the plunge.. This will be my last card on this system before i upgrade everything so I want something decent..

Lol... What is your spec Drew? I bet it's not as bad as you make out..

In the new year yours truly will yank out the two year ol 8800gts and run one of these puppy's HIS ATI HD 5870 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 256-bit GDDR5, 850/4800MHz, Dual DVI/ HDMI/ Display Port, DX11, Fan, Game included. Got a new monitor, with HDMI, sadly no HDMI on two year old card.
That's the plan anywho :)

Inside Fermi's graphics architecture
Insider info and careful speculation take us deep into Nvidia's next GPU
by Rys Sommefeldt â€â€￾ 2:39 PM on November 23, 2009

It seems probable that September 2009 will be more than just a footnote in the annals of computing, especially when one considers graphics processors. AMD made the ninth month of the ninth year in the twenty-first century the one it announced, released, and made available at retail its next-generation DX11 graphics processor: Cypress. Nvidia managed to sneak Fermi in to September 2009 as well, talking about the chip publicly on the 30th.
We refer you to our initial poke at things from GTC to get you started, if you have no idea what Fermi is at this point.
If you've been following Fermi since it was announced, you'll know Nvidia didn't really talk about the specific graphics transistors in Fermi implementations. We're going to take a stab at that, though, using information gleaned from the whitepaper, bits teased from Nvidia engineers, and educated guesswork. Remember, however, that graphics transistor chatter does ultimately remain a guess until the real details are unveiled.
"Why did Nvidia only talk about the compute side of Fermi?", you might ask. You can't have failed to notice the company's push into non-graphics application of GPUs in recent years. The G80 processor launch, along with CUDA, has meant that people interested in using the GPU for non-graphics computation have had a viable platform for doing so. The processors have been very capable, and CUDA offers a more direct avenue for programming them than hijacking a high-level graphics shading language.

Read the rest of this article here:
Inside Fermi's graphics architecture - The Tech Report - Page 1

ATI Redwood and Cedar expected in Q1 Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error Written by Link Removed due to 404 Error Friday, 27 November 2009 12:08
ati_logo2009.png

2010 for mainstream and value DX 11

ATI/ AMD has launched all its DirectX 11 products planned for 2009 and in 2010 there should be at least two chips and three products to launch.

By Q4 2009 AMD launched Hemlock dual-GPU card, 5970, Cypress XT 5870, Cypress PRO – 5850 as well as Juniper XT - 5770 and Juniper LE 5750.

Q1 2010 should bring two new chips and three new cards. The mainstream market will get Redwood XT, a 40nm DX11 chip that should take over the mainstream market from 4770 and 4670 and the second Redwood simply called PRO will replace 4650 in the mainstream market.

We would not be surprised if Redwood ends up with 56x0 name. The value market will get a new chip called Cedar, also 40nm and DirectX 11 that should replace 4350 as well as 4550.

As of Q1 2010, the 4550, 4350 as well as 3450 cards will continue to exist in the sub-Cedar part of the value market. Cedar will possibly be branded Radeon HD 55x0 / 53x0 depending on performance and ATI's marketing decision.

Last edited:
VERY nice Kemical! :) A very interesting read! ;) I haven't purchased a DX11 card yet as I'm giving the platform some time to mature but I have to say AMD has certainly come out swinging this time around.. ;) It will be interesting to see what the next 6 months bring...

As you say Drew, 'it works and thats all that matters', nice build..:)

If you click on your 'User CP' and then 'edit details', scrolling down the page reveals an area where you can log system stats...

VERY nice Kemical! :) A very interesting read! ;) I haven't purchased a DX11 card yet as I'm giving the platform some time to mature but I have to say AMD has certainly come out swinging this time around.. ;) It will be interesting to see what the next 6 months bring...

Definitely Radenight! Plus with Nvidia releasing their DX11 stuff then AMD will drop their prices straight away (hopefully)

NVIDIA Fermi launch delayed to March 2010?

Every day I try to somehow snag a Fermi sample from one of the many companies we work with here at TweakTown. The problem is for the first time over the weekend we heard the 'M' word come out of a partners mouth in regards to the release. What's the 'M' word? March!

13631_01.jpg

January seemed a pretty set date from most partners when it came to the release of the new NVIDIA based graphics card, the problem is though that for the first time we've now heard a February / March timeline. You can't help be feel worried that the time is slipping further and further away.
Every week that NVIDIA go past without a new high-end DX11 video card, it has to become ever so slightly faster than the HD 5870. If Fermi launched in November / December, people would've simply been happy with the green teams product coming out 5 - 10% faster than ATIs, if it comes out four to five months later though people are going to expect more performance than that though.
If you've been keep tracking of what's been going on when it comes to video cards over the past few years, you would know that something similar happened to ATI a while back. While they created a good, fast product, the delay when compared to the launch of NVIDIAs product meant that it simply lost the "WOW" factor that would've been generated it if was released earlier.
Hopefully March was only mentioned as a safety net due to the company feeling a bit stressed that NVIDIA continue to push back the release of Fermi, but either way it's a worry.

NVIDIA Fermi launch delayed to March 2010? :: TweakTown?

HD 5870 Crossfire performance in Dirt 2

ati_logo2009.png
directx_11_logo.jpg

Review: Excellent scaling and sweet eye candy

ATI has been talking about DirectX 11 for quite some time and the reason is quite simple – Nvidia doesn’t have it and ATI does. Today, we decided to show some results that we got in Dirt 2, one of the few games that support DirectX 11.

Dirt 2 works in DirectX 9 or DirectX 11 mode, and the difference is a lot of features that you can read about on the next page. For DirectX 11 mode you need adequate hardware, or to be precise one of AMD's Evergreen family graphics cards. The entire family of cards includes the HD 5970, HD 5870, HD 5850, HD 5770 or the HD 5750, which can be bought today.

If you are running Windows XP, you are limited to DirectX 9, while under Windows Vista, you can “forceâ€Â￾ the game to work in one of the two modes, but only if Service Pack 2 and DirectX End-User Runtime (at least August 2009) are installed. We tried it under Windows 7 which has all of these features and can give you the full DirectX 11 experience.

It is recommended to force the game in DirectX 9 mode if you aren’t equipped with adequate hardware and this is done by editing “forcedx9=trueâ€Â￾ field in the hardware_settings_config.xml file. Bear in mind that AMD has issued a driver patch which includes support for CrossfireX in Dirt 2.

From these results we can conclude that AMD did a great job with CrossfireX support in Dirt 2, and as you can see the HD 5870 in CrossfireX mode performed quite well.

Read the full review via the link below...

DX11 only a short term advantage says NVIDIA</A itxtvisited="1">
By Hilbert Hagedoorn, December 18, 2009 - 9:38 PM

nvidia.jpg
Lately pretty much anything relevant in news and articles that involves graphics products are linked somehow with ATI. as it's the only only developer right now offering DirectX 11-capable graphics cards.
Though they have yet to announce their own Fermi family products, NVIDIA reportedly doesn't see AMD's 60-day head start as something noteworthy in the grand scheme of things.
"To us, being out of sync with the API for a couple of months isn't as important as what we're trying to do in the big scheme of things for the next four or five years. We're just around the corner from preparing our next GeForce and the experience of what you'll see in 3D, what you'll feel in physics, and the improvements you get in graphics will be obvious to the market," said Michael Hara, senior vice president of investor relations and communications of NVIDIA.
According to NVIDIA, the short-term advantage that AMD has been enjoying so far will be overshadowed by the transition from purely graphics-oriented GPUs to units capable of parallel computing tasks. Granted, the advanced visual features of DirectX are not overlooked by the GPU maker, but the company is fully confident that Fermi will reclaim the market.
"This 60-day lag between these events of when our competition has DX11 and when we're coming to market will absolutely seem insignificant in the big picture," Hara stated. "We're almost there. In Q1, the world will get to see what we've done with Fermi."
Among the advanced capabilities offered by DirectX 11 (which was released along with Windows 7) are support for multi-core processors and DirectCompute that enable developers to fully utilize the parallel processing capabilities for graphics processors for operations such as video editing. DirectX 11 also supports tessallation allowing for the rendering of smoother curved surfaces.
"We go through revolutionary changes every three of four years, and that's exactly where we're at today. The next big evolution in the API world has come with DirectX 11 (DX11), but we believe that's a part of the experience," Hara added.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/dx11-only-a-short-term-advantage-says-nvidia/

ati_logo2009.png
nvidia.gif

2009: Fermi is the disappointment of the year

The year
2009 was really slow, unusually so when it comes to new product announcements and the better part of the second half of the year was spent waiting for new DirectX 11 parts.

In early 2009 Nvidia launched its Geforce GTX 295, something that has dominated the high end graphics market all the way until November 2009. Nvidia’s GTX 285 and GTX 260, both in 55nm were usually the best choice. In the mean time AMD had HD 4870 and HD 4850 cards and let’s not forget the dual-GPU HD 4870 X2, but all of them usually ended just slightly slower than Nvidia offering. The first part of year was clearly in Nvidia favour.

Then Nvidia started to mess things up. The rebranding scandal started when they decided to rebrand G92 based Geforce 9800 GTX+ to Geforce GTS 250. From the sales point of view this was a clear winner, but they were simply deceiving the market.

In the entry level neither ATI or Nvidia had great solutions to offer. The chips were ok but nothing more than that and most of them are not even worth mentioning. They were enough for some basic gaming and HD playback and that's about it.

Before summertime, ATI dared to be the first to launch its 40nm card. What will be known as one of its big failures ended up branded as Radeon HD 4770 and the world only saw a handful of them. This was an early sound that something is wrong with 40nm process and this issue really hasn’t been fixed to the present day. The end of the summer was all in ATI’s favour. At Computex AMD has demonstrated its first DirectX 11 hardware codenamed Evergreen. It worked and it could show some DirectX 11 demos. In August time, AMD was kind enough to show us personally the card running some test and in last week of September, the last days of Q3 2009 they have decided to release Radeon HD 5870, 5850 and 5770 cards.

AMD’s leaders have decided to drop the usual RV870 codenames and they’ve used Cypress codename for the top single card 5870 and 5850, Juniper was the codename for 57xx and Hemlock the 5970 the dual card came a bit later. AMD was the first with DirectX 11 and today, December 25th 2009, it is still the only company to have any DirectX 11 cards on market.

Nvidia reacted by announcing details about its upcoming technology packed Fermi architecture. Fermi was clearly the biggest disappointment of 2009. The architecture looks good on paper, its 512 shader chip looks promising and can potentially be faster than ATI’s solutions, but only if Nvidia could get its act together and introduce it.

Lets continue with Fermi. We were led to believe that it will come in November, then December and early Q1 time. Now its quite obvious that this card won't come before the end of Q1 2010. The way things looks from this perspective, we would be surprised to see serious volumes of Fermi on the market before Q2 2010. At that time ATI might have a counter card, a refreshed Evergreen series but we don’t think that this can beat Fermi, of course if we ever seen Fermi launch.

TSMC also didn't shine this time around. Even today they have some serious 40nm shortages and some of our sources have suggested that yields are at just 50 percent, which is definitely below any acceptable number, making the graphics shortage even more severe, We don't think this will get easily solved in 2010, at least we don't see any indications. Worst yet, both Nvidia and ATI high end chips are facing severe shortages worldwide, and getting any of them over the past several weeks has become a nightmare.

So today in last days of 2009, ATI is the clear graphics winner. It sold all of its 5x00 series, almost a million units since launch, as well as the remains of 4x00 series and ATI is clearly the dominant graphics player. It took ATI 6 years to get back to this position, as they were the better of two with R300 and now with RV870 – Cypress chip.

Nvidia has a lot of things to regret and we are sure that Jensen is not a happy man knowing that the competition is tearing them apart. The good thing for Nvidia is that ATI cannot ship enough DirectX 11 chips, but don’t be fooled, Nvidia is hurting big time for not having the right answer to ATI’s Evergreen.

We can definitely promise you an interesting year in graphics in 2010. As for 2009, we can just say we are happy it is almost over.

Just found a 'snip-it' of news re Fermi:

Fermi based GPUs will be fastest solutions in the market.
- We are very happy to see internal test results of Fermi.
- Fermi architecture developing for every single segment, dual GPU is also possible for Nvidia.
- We are very happy to work with TSMC but also we are always looking for another oppurtinies.
- ION 2 and Tegra 2 are very near to launch.

To watch video;
Link Removed - Invalid URL

The above vid is in Turkish but if you listen hard enough you can hear the guy speaking English..

Nvidia: Fermi will be fastest, Dual GPU is possible and We are happy with TSMC | SITEX 2009 | VR-Zone | Gadgets | PC Enthusiasts

Back