Windows 7 DX11 Cards

Was the wait worth it? Will you be buying one?

• Price is too high so no to Fermi..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I bought a 5000 series and am happy..

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Both Fermi and 5000 series way too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At last! Can't wait to get my Fermi.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm waiting until the price drops.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I'm going to wait for the refresh and 512 cores

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Understood. Ok, now my turn to apologize. :razz: Just didn't want you to think that what you had clearly spelled was unnoticed.

Kemical said:
This is the first review I've found and so have posted the conclusion to save you guys the time.. Admittedly Guru3D is a Nvidia site so bias will be a little towards Nvidia but to be fair to the site they are as impartial as they can be.

Jokes apart, a big advantage of ATI 5870 certainly is its 6-pin power. Unlike GTX 480:

specs.png

ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 GPU Feature Summary

2.15 billion 40nm transistors
TeraScale 2 Unified Processing Architecture
1600 Stream Processing Units
80 Texture Units - this deffinitely increases speed
128 Z/Stencil ROP Units
32 Color ROP Units
GDDR5 interface with 153.6 GB/sec of memory bandwidth
PCI Express 2.1 x16 bus interface
DirectX® 11 support
Shader Model 5.0
DirectCompute 11
Programmable hardware tessellation unit
Accelerated multi-threading
HDR texture compression
Order-independent transparency
OpenGL 3.2 support1
Image quality enhancement technology
Up to 24x multi-sample and super-sample anti-aliasing modes
Adaptive anti-aliasing
16x angle independent anisotropic texture filtering
128-bit floating point HDR rendering

5870's price is another big advantage. :)

Bit of a difference in the fillrate too:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Although Nvidias 384-bit memory bus compared to the 256-bit of the ATI card makes up for it a tad..

Last edited:
Nvidia's Fermi Poll

The Fermi has been released and benchmarks are flying everywhere.. What do forum users think and will they buy one..

Last edited:
The Fermi has been released and benchmarks are flying everywhere.. What do forum users think and will they buy one..

The name is terrible, the card is overpriced, and most modern PC games are being programmed with ATI cards in mind. NVIDIA seems to be targetting the top 10% of income earners with their video cards and has been for awhile, hmm? I show no interest in their cards, as they have been completely wiped out by ATI over the last several years. It is going to take more than one card to form the basis of a paradigm shift for this company.

Last edited by a moderator:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 Video Card Overclocked

http://www.nvidia.com/
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3204/nvidia_geforce_gtx_470_video_card_overclocked/index.html# Introduction

We've Link Removed due to 404 Error and maybe you think it's pretty good. You just wish that it had a bit more power. At the same time, you don't want to fork out GTX 480 money which is quite a big jump in price.

What do you do? You overclock! Which is exactly what we're doing here today. Sure, the card runs pretty warm already and the fan is quite loud, but let's be honest; overclockers don't care about that stuff. At the end of the day, if it gets through the benchmark or your games, then all is well.
Before we get into the results of the card when overclocked, we’ll have a quick look at how we went about overclocking the card and what we managed to achieve as far as the maximum overclock went.

Read on: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 Video Card Overclocked Introduction :: TweakTown

Wow seems like many of our users are simply not bothered about the new release (or perhaps taking part in the poll?)..

ATI's next generation plans outed

Before Nvidia gets GF100 finished

by Charlie Demerjian

March 30, 2010

Link Removed due to 404 ErrorIT LOOKS LIKE the GPU roadmaps are being torn up and plan B's are coming out of the woodwork left and right. The current problem? TSMC's 28nm process, or lack thereof.
When we first told you about ATI's Northern Islands, (here, way at the bottom) the plan was simple - a new architecture on next generation 28nm HKMG processes, coming out in the next new year, 2011. The lead off parts were due to come on TSMC's 28nm process, which is set for Q1/2011, followed by derivatives on GlobalFoundries' 28nm process. Since that was due about a quarter after TSMC, the first out of the gate was going to be TSMC.
The problem is that from SemiAccurate's unscientific poll of asking several involved companies, no one seems to have any confidence that TSMC will deliver 28nm HKMG on time. Many expressed skepticism that it will deliver at all, but let's give it the benefit of the doubt here.
If you recall, TSMC 40nm was set to come out in Q4 of 2008, and it wasn't working until Q4 of 2009, more or less. Problems still plague some users though. We broke the news that TSMC canceled it's 32nm node completely, something the company has never done before.
Northern Islands(NI) from ATI and the next generation of Nvidia parts were slated to use the 32nm process, and several ATI slides have leaked showing that explicitly. When 32nm was pulled, the decision initially was made to move NI to 28nm, delaying it by a quarter or two. Fair enough.
Meanwhile, TSMC threw out its 28nm process and replaced it with a completely different one. TSMC initially claimed to use a technique called 'gate first', and that was slipping by quarters at a time. One day, it announced that it threw 'gate first' out the window and replaced it with 'gate last', a completely different process. On top of this, it pulled the roadmap in a quarter.
To call companies skeptical of the new roadmap is being overly kind. No one believed it, but what can they do? Easy, put plan C into place, and for ATI, that is called Southern Islands.
Southern Islands (SI) is a 40nm family, and from early information, it looks to be a hybrid between Evergreen and Northern Islands. The architectural details are quite slim now, but it looks like ATI took the uncore from NI and put the shaders from Evergreen on it. Think of it as taking the parts that were done and available, and putting them together.
Because it is the only option at this point, SI will be built on TSMC's 40nm process. This is good because it is known, and ready, pulling in the timetables. Low risk means low chance of problems and quick time to market. Expect SI sometime this fall. Rumors abound that some family members have already taped out, but that is far from confirmed.
In any case, ATI will likely have a fully refreshed lineup before Nvidia has its Fermi GF100 GTX4xx line fully out the door. It looks like this fall's GPU battle will be more of a howitzer versus pen knife match rather than a duel.S|A

SemiAccurate :: ATI's next generation plans outed

ADDAD.PNG

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Fermi Video Card | Benchmark,Review,GeForce GTX-480,GF100,Fermi,GTX-490,NVIDIA GeForce GTX-480 Video Card GF100 Fermi GPU Benchmark Performance Review

Pros:

+ Fastest single-unit DX11 graphics accelerator available
+ Best price-to-performance cost ratio
+ GF100 Introduces Error Correcting Code (ECC)
+ Outstanding performance for ultra high-end games
+ Fan exhausts all heated air outside of case
+ Includes native HDMI audio/video output
+ Adds 32x CSAA post-processing detail
+ Supports triple-SLI functionality

Cons:

- Consumes 52W at idle and 370W under full load
- Extremely hot under normal operation
- Very expensive premium-level product
- Cooling fan is audible under load

Very good in-depth article on 20 pages:

GeForce GTX 480 And 470

I'd vote but I can't, not sure. I definitely prefer NVIDIA graphics because it looks more thoroughly processed and more delicate as compared to ATI's, NVIDIA's real antialiasing working better. At the 32x CSAA setting, it’s impressive to see the GeForce GTX 480 running at nearly 80% of its baseline speed sans AA.

Anti-Aliasing%20Performance.png

However, Fermi is so hot that I'm afraid it'll start dying from thermal death. Can you imagine your card as hot as 97 celcius degrees at burn ? You'll probably need an extra cooling to it.

Of course I'm not even trying to talk about the price, can be worth buying a decent 17 " notebook instead. As much as I like NVIDIA graphics, as much I've been getting upset by its high prices and its too high temperatures, especially over the last several years. :(

Call%20of%20Duty%20Modern%20Warfare%202%201680.png

DiRT2%201680.png

Crysis%201680.png

Battlefield%20Bad%20Company%202%201680.png

Metro%202033%201680.png

DirectX%2011%20Performance1.png

Power%20Consumption.png

Temperature.png

Looks like ATI wins this round.

Love to know how a Nvidia 285/295 runs DX11.... surely thats just a few bits of DX11 so shouldn't be listed as a proper DX11 card on there cos they aint got tesslation units, for benchmarkers thats a EPIC FAIL to not notice. Hell even my old 8800GTS runs Heaven DX11 mode... don't mean that card is DX11...lol imagine the repeat of the windows vista fiasco if the badged old cards with "Dx11 compatible" stickers.

Last edited:
If you are talking about Stalker benches, then I guess STALKER is in fact DirectX 10/10.1 game, not DX 11 - unlike what the picture title says.

Edit:

Maybe they calll it DX11 cause DX 10.1 is a part of DX11.

Last edited:
Can Nvidia cards handle 10.1? I didn't think they could or least the 8800's couldn't as they are a DX10 card specifically.

No, NVIDIA cards versions earlier than GTX 470 cannot handle DX 10.1. As for the diagram, some of those earlier cards probably handled Dx 10 instead of DX 10.1 or 11, because DX 10 was set in game options.

As for DX 10.1 being a part of DX 11, I remember reading a few articles about that.

OOPPPS I looked at wrong pic, although you can indeed run Unigene's "HEAVEN" in dx11 benchmark mode (try it manually selecting dx11 mode on it), although skips any processing fx it doesnt have...such as tessalation.

Last edited:
The good news is you can't cook an egg on NVIDIA fermi:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited by a moderator:
50% Voltage Tweak

Google Translate

Bubble network card channel on March 20, after bouncing several times after, NVIDIA next-generation graphics core GTX480/GTX470 final release date was finally set down, with less than a week, we can glimpse the real The new card Wong's style. Most of the current NVIDIA AIC partner has GTX480/GTX470 deployed, such as the release of only the first time started selling immediately.
4148811286.jpg

4164418974.jpg
Packaging from Asus can see, this 2 products are the overclocking version of product, and joined the Voltage Tweak (simple voltage regulation) technology, which is the first application of this technology in the N card, players can adopt the technology the card over to a higher frequency, which have more extreme performance.
In fact the first exposure of the outer packaging is not the only Asus, here let us look at other vendors. ■​
Related Articles: Communication GTX470 graphics official recommended price of £ 299!

OOPPPS I looked at wrong pic, although you can indeed run Unigene's "HEAVEN" in dx11 benchmark mode (try it manually selecting dx11 mode on it), although skips any processing fx it doesnt have...such as tessalation.

Yup, you can run the bench on a non Dx11 card but just won't see the pretties as you say.. I think the new Heaven 2.0 is far better than the previous incarnation too. Have you guys seen or run it yet?

Yup, in the Guru3d forums they were saying something about it running DX11 stuff better?

Back