Windows 7 DX11 Cards

Was the wait worth it? Will you be buying one?

• Price is too high so no to Fermi..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I bought a 5000 series and am happy..

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Both Fermi and 5000 series way too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At last! Can't wait to get my Fermi.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm waiting until the price drops.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I'm going to wait for the refresh and 512 cores

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
GeForce GTX 470 PCB board
NVIDIA is now working on a lower-end addition to its GeForce GTX400 series, and according to our reliable sources, the card will be branded as GeForce GTX 460.
The third Fermi-based consumer-class model will employ the P1025 reference PCB design, and feature 1GB of GDDR5 memory as well as 256-bit of memory interface. We have no idea yet about the amount of stream processors or frequencies.
Noteworthily, there won’t be a standard design of GeForce GTX460 – instead, the AICs have their own design rights. If things go well enough, the GeForce GTX 460 will make its debut on June 1st, with a similar price to Radeon HD 5850.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

GF104 Nvidia mainstream card real
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Friday, 09 April 2010 15:38

Summer launch, taped out

We learned some basics about Nvidia's first new card to launch after Geforce GTX 480 and GTX 470 cards. The new card is codenamed GF104 and it is currently taped out, works and performance looks good.

The chip is much smaller than recently launched Fermi-based Geforce GTX 480 and 470 and our sources expect that this product might be the next “8800 GT”.

Let me remind you, this was probably the best selling card in sub $200 market that Nvidia later renamed to 9800GT and most recently to GTS 250. We probably missed a few internal rebrands, as this was Nvidia’s policy for a long time.

We can only hope that this card won’t be late, for Nvidia’s sake.

Also read: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Nvidia misses GTX470/480 launch targets

About 1/4 of what was promised

by Charlie Demerjian

April 8, 2010

IT LOOKS LIKE Nvidia's legendary honesty is matched only by its counting skills, at least that is what it looks like after the GTX470 and GTX480 launch numbers leaked. If you believed the 30,000 number, well, it was off by a lot.

Since Nvidia didn't officially give any launch numbers, that is, promise how many GTX470 and GTX480 cards would be available in retail channels at initial release, but just whispered in the ears of the gullible analysts and press, we can't call it a liar. Those people once again just parroted the vague total number they were told without thinking or doing any research. It seems a 'scoop' is worth more than the truth to some. In the end, yesterday's Nvidia analyst day had the 30K number bandied about with abandon, even though it wasn't close to the truth.

Short story, the cards, both combined, worldwide, for all launch partners is less than 8,000 units in the first week. Yes, within spitting distance of one quarter of the leaked but not 'promised' number. Let me repeat that, less than 8,000 units. The number we have been hearing for months is in fact true.

No, it is not

What precious little inventory there is at launch will be shifted to several high profile etailers and retailers to make it appear as though there is actual stock available. There isn't. All the companies that ordered thousands will never see them, unless they happen to be called Newegg.

Two major AIBs have allocated less than 100 cards each for Europe - not per country, but for Europe as a whole. If there are only five launch partners, that is only 1,600 cards, GTX470 and GTX480 combined, each, for the world. That isn't enough to pay for the printing of the boxes.

Earlier, we told you about the forced bundling Nvidia is inflicting on resellers. As one forum member pointed out, at least in Germany, the distributors are being much worse than Nvidia is 'recommending', (English-ish here). Remember, the gamer comes first, which is why you need to buy 600 worthless cards to get 20 GTX470s and GTX480s.

Nvidia has had almost three months of production to make GF100 chips, and it can't manage 10,000 units. It is losing a lot of money on each and every card it sells, since sub-20% yields mean the chips alone cost at least $250 each to make. There is almost no chance of a second run once the first chips all trickle out, much less the fourth round that Hi-tech.at is hoping for. This isn't a launch, it's a hoax and a joke. But at least we know that Nvidia hasn't changed, its habitual values are still intact.S|A

SemiAccurate :: Nvidia misses GTX470/480 launch targets

Club3D HD 5850 Overclocked Edition tested
Written by Sanjin Radoš
Friday, 09 April 2010 00:00

Article Index
Club3D HD 5850 Overclocked Edition tested
2. Packaging, Specs
3. A closer look at Club3D HD 5850 Overclocked Edition
4. Testbed
5. Futuremark Tests
6. Gaming: Crysis, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2
7. Gaming: HAWX, World in Conflict
9. Overclocking and Consumption
10. Conclusion
Page 1 of 9

On our today’s test we have a Club3D graphics card – Radeon HD 5850 Overclocked Edition. As the name suggest, this card comes overclocked. Unlike the reference HD 5850, which runs at 725MHz for the GPU, Club3D’s GPU runs at 760MHz and the memory got a boost from 4000MHz to 4200MHz. Naturally, this means superior performance but we’ll get to that a bit later.

The HD 5850’s ticker is the mighty 40nm Cypres PRO graphics processor with 1440 stream processors, 2.15 billion transistors on 334mm2. The rest of the specs feature 32 ROPs and 72 texture units as well as 256-bit memory interface combined with GDDR5 memory. Reference cards come with 1000MHz (4000MHz effectively) scores a bandwidth of 128GB/s, whereas Club3D HD 5850 Overclocked Edition’s bandwidth stands at 134.4 GB/s.

The reference HD 5850 comes with dual slot cooling, which is pretty good, but note that overclocking might render the fan pretty loud when trying to cool the GPU. This is why Club3D opted on non-reference cooling with 4 heatpipes and a large aluminum heatsink. Up until recently, all the HD 5850 cards used reference cooling, so Club3D is one of the first to remedy that.

Read on: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Fermi limited availability until May+
Written by Fuad Abazovic

Small numbers hit stores

Yesterday in the morning we reported that Fermi, Geforce GTX 480 and 470 cards were not available at all, and later in the day we got some evidence that a few cards did get to e-tail stores and that most of them sold very quickly.

We talked to a few partners and we learned that most of them got four times less than they pre-sold to distributors and retailers. Since most shops allowed pre-orders for these cards, whatever comes in, has already been sold.

The second batch comes in May, but we are not sure that it will be enough to solve the shortage issue. By the time third batch arrives, ATI might have its 6000 ready or it will be close.

Luckily Nvidia should have its GF104 mainstream card by summer time.

AMD shipped over 6 million DX11 GPUs

In less than two quarters

AMD announced that it has managed to ship in excess of 6 million DirectX 11 capable GPUs in the past two quarters.

The company introduced the HD 5800 series in late September and the cards started shipping in volume in early October. A month later AMD launched the HD 5700 series, which was followed by entry level parts and mobile GPUs.

AMD CEO Dirk Meyer said in a conference call that AMD had managed to ship over six million DirectX GPUs and that it has expanded the 5000 family into all market segments, so shipments will probably keep growing over the next quarter, as system integrators empty their inventories of low-end 4000 series cards embrace recently introduced 5500 and 5400 series products.

As for Nvidia, it has moved few if any DirectX 11 cards. Its first DirectX11 enabled cards, the GTX 480 and GTX 470, were launched a few weeks ago but they are still not shipping in any significant volumes. What's worse, even when they do, Nvidia won't be able to match AMD in sheer numbers of DirectX 11 cards shipped to consumers. It will take a few more months before mainstream and low end Fermi products launch and eventually filter down to consumers.

AMD, on the other hand, has plenty of time to ready new products to compete with Nvidia's upcoming cards. Even if it sticks to its current lineup, without any significant changes, AMD could probably fight Nvidia with lower prices, thanks to revenues generated by its 6-month head start. Take the HD 5850 as an example. It currently costs more than five months ago, when it was introduced, so it's quite obvious that AMD has some room to make price adjustments, as it's clearly operating with healthy margins.

We're not saying that a new price war is looming, but there is a strong chance that we will see some price maneuvering on AMD's part in coming months.

meh, the quality of the video is way too bad to spot any differences. the only apparent advantage for the 460 is a slightly better frame rate but more power hungry.

btw, did not know there is a 9970?

I would also say what method was use to record the video? cos if its fraps then the benchmarks are gonna slide a bit

meh, the quality of the video is way too bad to spot any differences. the only apparent advantage for the 460 is a slightly better frame rate but more power hungry.

btw, did not know there is a 9970?

The chips being compared were GTX 480 and ATI 5970.

I am not aware of exactly how these tests were done, but according to them GTX 480 has a higher frame rate, smoother animations, and no bright flashings - unlike ATI 5970.

For practical needs, I think both cards are no slouches. Say you're playing it 1280 x 1024, would it make a noticeable difference if you're getting 150 or 180 FPS ? Most likely not.

GTX480 is one power-sucking monster
While Sanjin was busy checking out the performance of the new GTX 480 in Windows 7, some people like me are more interested in the performance differences between Windows XP in DX9 and Windows 7 with DX10/ DX11. Of course power consumption is also very important, especially in Europe where energy prices are high. One of the problems between AMD and Nvidia is the impossibility to compare higher Anti-Aliasing modes, because only Multi-Sampling between 2x and 8x are comparable and we have to stick with it.

Read on: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi Athlonite,
Europe is pretty expensive for electricity and on my old set-up (using a 4870) plus general house usage I'm paying around £80.00 per month. This apartement is all electric though so no gas bills to contend with... I'm hoping that the new card (which idles at 27w) will hopefully save a little money but it's too early to say..

imageview.php

Overclocking GeForce GTX 480 with extra GPU voltage
The GeForce GTX 400 series definitely has been topic of much discussion. Though extremely powerful this graphics card runs hot and is rather loud. Now these sure are lackluster factors .. but that doesn't mean the product doesn't have any further potential. Contrary as today's article will show there's in fact a lot of additional performance to be found in the GeForce GTX 480, that's if you know how to tweak it properly. Today we'll touch the holy grail over overclocking, voltage tweaking.
Yesterday we released an update of AfterBurner, we implemented and thus added voltage control for the 470/480 cards in MSI AfterBurner revision 1.6.0 beta 4 and upwards.
You can use MSI AfterBurner with ANY brand GeForce GTX 480, trust me when I say, the card are all the same and partners have purchased them from NVIDIA directly.
Now as you guys probably know the default clock frequency for the GeForce GTX 480 is 700 MHz on the core, 1400 MHz on the shader domain and 3700 MHz on the memory. With an additional voltage we where able to push close to 850 MHz on the core and roughly 1700 MHz on the shader processor domain.
The first group of people that will really benefit from what we'll show you today are the people that opt a liquid cooled GeForce GTX 470 or 480 as they will be in control of noise levels and get much better GPU temperatures. As such they should be able to, fairly straightforward, get another 15 to 20% performance out of the card. Do you want to see how we do it ? Well read the next couple of pages with a step-by-step guide and then we'll show some results based on our overclock experience.

Read on: Overclocking GeForce GTX 480 with extra GPU voltage

@ Kemical hmmmm 80 pounds here = $162.67 NZ Dollars and thats about what I'm paying for my house hold so your really not that expensive:p try using CFL bulbs instead of incandescent ones that knocked 10 bucks of my power bill a month

wow, the EU is expensive!

I pay ~$60 a month in Australia since years! My household is fairly power wise so everything is on minimum wattage and no aircons.

@ Athlonite- I've pretty much changed all the bulbs over apart from the more esoteric ones (well one actually which seems not to have a green alternative yet).

@ Agent Data- The last 2years or so has seen huge rises in electricity prices reaching almost 40%. They put this down to the huge increase in the price of oil. Trouble is, this has since gone down again although funnily enough we are not seeing this drop reflected in the prices..The grabbing bastards!

. Trouble is, this has since gone down again although funnily enough we are not seeing this drop reflected in the prices..The grabbing bastards!

and they wont why because they now blame high prices on some other secretive problem like cost of generation YEAH RIGHT like it cost more to make power than it did 2 yrs ago with the same gear bollocks it does... Ours too have gone through the roof in the last 2~3yrs except we aren't really at the mercy of oil prices as most of our generation capability is via Hydro

@ Agent Data- The last 2years or so has seen huge rises in electricity prices reaching almost 40%. They put this down to the huge increase in the price of oil. Trouble is, this has since gone down again although funnily enough we are not seeing this drop reflected in the prices..The grabbing bastards!

yes, I know that but mostly managed to avoid the rise in my e-bill - okay, it's now $60 for me while it was $50 before the price hike.

@ Athlonite
sure, they got always excuses for price hikes - that is typical Australia!

Last edited:
ATI's Southern Islands tapes out

Game over for Nvidia

by Charlie Demerjian

April 21, 2010

Link Removed due to 404 ErrorATI IS ON A ROLL, having taped out its next generation GPU family called Southern Islands. ATI might call it the HD6xxx series, and it could be out before Nvidia gets its GTX4xx line of GPUs fully fleshed out and to market.
The news is straightforward enough. Southern Islands (SI) taped out recently, and is now moving through TSMC. Although the schedule is very tight, if all goes really well we could see a demo or two at Computex in just over a month. This puts SI slightly behind where Evergreen was a year ago, but not by much.
Southern Islands is said to be a hybrid between the all new Northern Islands (NI) and the current HD5xxx Evergreen family. Those in the loop say that Northern Islands was meant to be on TSMC 32nm before that process was killed. Due to the ever-slipping nature of TSMC's 28nm high-K metal gate node, the SI hybrid GPU was slapped together to be fabbed on TSMC's current 40nm process.
Sources tell SemiAccurate that SI uses some of the NI uncore (unshader?), and wraps that around a mildly updated Evergreen shader. RAM is more of an open question. NI was set to use GDDR5+, but since DRAM makers might not be ready, we may end up with only GDDR5 on SI.
In any case, Nvidia has come out fighting with its GTX470 and GTX480, shipping hundreds, some say thousands, of units since ATI shipped Evergreen last September. If all goes well, and it appears to be doing just that, ATI might have Southern Islands on sale before Nvidia gets all of the GTX4xx variants out the door. The end of 2010 will see Nvidia fighting a new ATI line with a year late part that doesn't work within the promised specs, and can't be manufactured.
By the time Nvidia gets to 28nm next year, or possibly in 'GTX480' quantities this year, it is going to be fighting yet another new generation of ATI parts, Northern Islands. If the rumors are true, and the upcoming Fermi II is on TSMC's 28nm bulk process, and NI comes out on GloFo's 28nm high-K metal gate process, Nvidia won't even be in the game.
At this point, you really have to ask yourself if Nvidia will survive. Its chipset business is gone because it didn't understand Moore's law. Its GPU business is like a floating goldfish circling the drain. Its GPU compute business is wounded. And Tegra is being laughed out the door. Meanwhile, ATI is on a roll.S|A

SemiAccurate :: ATI's Southern Islands tapes out

Back