Windows 7 DX11 Cards

Was the wait worth it? Will you be buying one?

• Price is too high so no to Fermi..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I bought a 5000 series and am happy..

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Both Fermi and 5000 series way too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At last! Can't wait to get my Fermi.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm waiting until the price drops.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I'm going to wait for the refresh and 512 cores

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
We've got confirmation from AMD that the Evergreen cards are being shown this weekend, at the QuakeCon video game convention in Dallas, Texas.

The word is finally out. AMD will launch it's much anticipated next generation graphics processors code name Evergreen on September 10th; ahead of Windows 7's launch in late October..

For AMD, these 40-nm, Microsoft DX11-compliant GPUs will fundamentally change the graphics industry and give it a clear advantage over Nvidia, again!

The prior generation of ATI cards was such high performance and so cheap that they forced Nvidia to hastily put together competitive video cards.

Sadly, AMD's Santa Clara, Calif., rival hasn't shown much of its DX-11 chips yet. However, Nvidia might choose to show off its wares at its own GPU Technology conference at the end of September in San Jose.

The GPU market is finally kicking some tires, just in time for the holiday season!

The above was copied and pasted from a report found here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
That's slightly misleading info first because Nvidia had to merely make a few scaled down budget cards (260 cards got pumped with 16 extra cores....woot! ) based on thier own nearly 2 years old 280 chipset to compete with AMD cards pricing strategy...it certainly had no fears in regards to who was making the fastest cards, clear winner was the Nvidia 280 and 285 with only AMD/ATi's dual cards reaching that level of speed and if you count dual board cards or SLI then Nvidia's 295 iced everyone in the benchmarks or look at Tesla arrays for the seriously faster rich folk out there.

On the second point, Nvidia will likely unveil there killer GT300 with 512 core 40nm scale chipset (Based on prevous jumps I'd expect the first one to be speed wise around 30% faster than the 295GTX) in October in time with the Windows 7 Campaign (expect lots of campy gay adverts with people dressed as Spartans LMAO) before the big christmas sales rush, as for Intel's much touted ray tracing video card, that's looking doubtful for this year. To be honest it just seems to me to be mirroring whats happening in the CPU market were AMD play 2nd fiddle to INTEL, where purchase prices is the only real way AMD keeps in the game which I can't see changing anytime soon unless AMD get the GPU/CPU all in one chips up to speeds worthy of notice....to me laptops are 2nd rate PC's, desktops will be the powerhouses for a long time yet, sod the dim masses that cant use them.

On the whole it'll be the usual finnishing places with Nvidia as the speed king, with AMD picking up the best price vs performance awards as consolation for being 2nd best, not to mention Nvidia's inclusion of CUDA support (Which when offered FREE to AMD was utter snubbed) has really done quite a lot for gamers this year...shame so many DEVS still use Havok physics rendering....time to get with the program people!

On a more serious note, DX has done little over the last 2 years since DX10 and DX10.1 came out for gamers over DX9, so DX11 will be the usual hype with few games actually using it and if you need a finger of blame to point...look towards the fanboy idiots that cling to WinXP for holding everyone back because few devolopers will invest in minority OS's no matter how good they perform over XP, so if you know XP fanboys beat them up and get WIn7 on their ancient heaps of crap and maybe just maybe we'll all finally get some dx10+ grade games rather than the pitiful token amount thus far since Vista.

Last edited:
I tend to agree that DX10 never really got the support it perhaps deserved.. Maybe because it was closely tied to the whole vista debacle that really held things back.
Now with advent of 7 hopefully this will lead to an increase in development. One can only hope...
mixed-smiley-008.gif

Great video that, this humble pie is quite tasty...lol well looks like the Nvidia 295 card I was gonna buy for xmas has just gone out the window...bring on DX11...

I remember when DX11 when first bandied around it was said that existing hardware (DX10 cards of course) would be able to handle the new upgrade. As usual though we have go and spend another £2-300... :rolleyes: I try and level this out a little by waiting a few generations between cards. So I'm going to wait until second gen DX11 stuff is released by that time I should see a 25-30% increase over the card I'm using now.

Here's the video of DIRT 2 showing DX11:

[video=vimeo;6182068]http://vimeo.com/6182068[/video]

If they could make that tessalation feature work on old games automaticalyy that would make it a must have feature for certain.

I'm not a big pc gamer, i have too many hobbies and, that one is expensive if you fall in to deep (my M.O.). That video, however makes me feel like I should dump a hobby or two to take up some hardcore DX-11 gaming, it tickles my eyeballs. Nice post Kemical.

It does look good admitted and apparently what you see is what you get in the game too, I just wonder what kind of horse power your gonna need to see it run like that...

It does look good admitted and apparently what you see is what you get in the game too, I just wonder what kind of horse power your gonna need to see it run like that...
Yeah, thats what i was referring to about gaming being an expensive hobby. How could you play that and not obtain the "horsepower" to make it play the way you know it can. Bring on the crossfire with three $300 cards i'm sold!

Compared to pissing £100 down the drain every weekend in some overpriced bar as many people I know up here do, gaming is VERY cheap hobby in comparison.

Yeah, thats what i was referring to about gaming being an expensive hobby. How could you play that and not obtain the "horsepower" to make it play the way you know it can. Bring on the crossfire with three $300 cards i'm sold!
I always try and stick to a single card (a very good card but still only one) but make the components that are integrated with it are at least equal to or more powerfull (bandwith). That way I've always ended up with reasonable gaming rigs which haven't got me remortgaging the house to obtain....

I always try and stick to a single card (a very good card but still only one) but make the components that are integrated with it are at least equal to or more powerfull (bandwith). That way I've always ended up with reasonable gaming rigs which haven't got me remortgaging the house to obtain....

yea quite agree I avoid sli and crossfire like the plague, always seems to many driver issues for the first year of the cards compared to non paired ones, as my rig is a creaky 3 years old now i'm in the market for the next dx11 cards out, prefer Nvidia gear for the solid drivers but will go with my budget around xmas (£350 ish) to decide brand 'n' model choice for whatever single pcb card is best to match some DDR3 ram and a p55 mobo.

yea quite agree I avoid sli and crossfire like the plague, always seems to many driver issues for the first year of the cards compared to non paired ones, as my rig is a creaky 3 years old now i'm in the market for the next dx11 cards out, prefer Nvidia gear for the solid drivers but will go with my budget around xmas (£350 ish) to decide brand 'n' model choice for whatever single pcb card is best to match some DDR3 ram and a p55 mobo.

Can't agree more...
cool-smiley-002.gif

I'll have to get me one of those gaming ladeeez that you seem to have aquired too.....:cool:

Back