Windows 7 DX11 Cards

Was the wait worth it? Will you be buying one?

• Price is too high so no to Fermi..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I bought a 5000 series and am happy..

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Both Fermi and 5000 series way too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At last! Can't wait to get my Fermi.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm waiting until the price drops.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I'm going to wait for the refresh and 512 cores

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Can't agree more...
cool-smiley-002.gif

I'll have to get me one of those gaming ladeeez that you seem to have aquired too.....:cool:

Thank the wonders of "Paltalk" for that...hehe :D Girlie Geeks rule !!!

I noticed in a different thread you mentioned the new ASUS 4gig monster card which is said to be a twin 285 gpu....early prices i found in Uk are a grand!!!! for something that could be equalled just about by having 2x 285 cards (1798mb editions) for HALF that price!!! anyone seriously gonna wedge up £500 more to have 1 saved pcie slot???? bet it doesnt play Crysis maxed out PMSL

I noticed in a different thread you mentioned the new ASUS 4gig monster card which is said to be a twin 285 gpu....early prices i found in Uk are a grand!!!! for something that could be equalled just about by having 2x 285 cards (1798mb editions) for HALF that price!!! anyone seriously gonna wedge up £500 more to have 1 saved pcie slot???? bet it doesnt play Crysis maxed out PMSL

Me?.......

Lol! No worries...

Like you said earlier though, these monster cards are fine and dandy but if the driver support is a little lacking then they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot...

Nvidia GT300 Demonstrations As Early As September?

It seems that the rumors about Nvidia's first DirectX 11 GPU, the GT300, leaving the engineering labs already in September are becoming more and more solidified.
These early demonstrations to partners are most likely targeted to divert at least some of the attention from ATI's release of their next generation graphic cards in September.
Apparently, driver development is one of the main reasons we haven't seen one of Nvidia's new babies in action already. Who knows? We might even get to see an earlier release to market than currently expected. This is highly speculative of course, though.

The above was taken from here: Nvidia GT300 Demonstrations As Early As September?

The race is on!

Last edited:
I cant wait to get my hands on a couple of 5870's crossfire them up and play some DiRT2. Might have to do a whole new build. I can hear my misses already banging on the wall yelling to turn it down.

I did have a DX 11 thread going with pics but I can't seem to find it anymore.. Must have got lost during the server upgrades.. ;)

It's going to be interesting to see AMD and nVidia battle it out with DX 11 in my opinion.. It gives me a reason to get excited about gpu's again.. ;) They've been rather boring for the past year or more.. :)

Last edited:
I cant wait to get my hands on a couple of 5870's crossfire them up and play some DiRT2. Might have to do a whole new build. I can hear my misses already banging on the wall yelling to turn it down.

I can agree with that! DiRT2 looks like it's going to be awesome but then again I've noticed just lately that games do seem to be getting sooo much better. I'm so glad we've moved on from the DX10, Crysis and vista thing... Oh my god, I had to mention it didn't I...:eek:

I can agree with that! DiRT2 looks like it's going to be awesome but then again I've noticed just lately that games do seem to be getting sooo much better. I'm so glad we've moved on from the DX10, Crysis and vista thing... Oh my god, I had to mention it didn't I...:eek:

JERHOVAH!!!...lmao

We've heard that ATI's soon to lunch DirectX 11 performance card, something that we know as RV870 and something that AMD calls Evergreen, should be roughly 1.6 times faster than the RV770 chip.

RV770 is the chip behind ATI's Radeon HD 4870 card and it showed quite good performance, so this 1.6 times performance increase can give you a general idea that the new chip should be quite fast.

Of course 1.6 times is the best case scenario and it should be less than that in some cases, but overall this 40nm chip should be a good step forward for ATI.

The big issue is that by late November Nvidia might launch its Geforce GT300 chip, that might end up even faster, but at the same time Nvidia's DirectX 11, 40nm chip will also be bigger and probably hotter as well.

Article taken from here: Link Removed due to 404 Error

I'll believe it when I see it lol.... Hype and fud! I guess they have to try and spin up some sort of story for financial reasons but let's wait and see what the final numbers are.. (I've just been writing about this in the other thread )

Fudzilla have come up with a few words about the 5870 which you can read here:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

One of Chiphell's moderators reports the first performance figures for the upcoming Radeon HD 5870, which sees public availability on 23rd/24th September.

With a Phenom II X4 955BE, the HD 5870 returns an average of 43 fps at 1920x1200, Very High, 4xAA, 16xAF, minimum of 30, and maximum 54.

It is very difficult to compare as we don't have a direct comparison, but to put this in perspective, a 4890/GTX 275/285 will return numbers in the 18-22 range, the 4870 X2 / GTX 295 in the 25-30 range. These are optimistic numbers too - as we have seen even the mighty GTX 285 choking with less than 20 fps at this setting on most platforms. Needless to say, if true, this is pretty spectacular performance for a product expected to be selling for $399. It must be noted that 5870 in the benchmark has been overclocked.

The final specifications are rumoured to be 1600 SP / 80 TMU / 32 ROP, 825 MHz core, 1300 MHz memory. TDP of 190W, idle power less than 30W. More information is expected soon.

More here: [Rumour] First ATI Radeon HD 5870 performance numbers by VR-Zone for Gadget & PC Enthusiasts

As soon as I find some figures for the Nvidia card I'll post em...

As soon as I find some figures for the Nvidia card I'll post em...

Odd that such a benchmark doesnt mention what exactly was being benchmarked with...although i'm gonna guess at Crysis being the culprit at the given resolution and settings.

EDIT: Aha I was right, of course thats a DX10 game....the results would be more interesting on a DX11 title like GRID2, but even so if that cards gonna be in the £250 range they onto a winner.

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Win 7 RTM
VGA:HD5870 1GB
Crysis 1900x1200 4AA+16AF DX10 Very High
min:30.**
avg:43.**
max:54.**

Last edited:
the results would be more interesting on a DX11 title like GRID2, but even so if that cards gonna be in the £250 range they onto a winner.
Hmm... I would have thought that would only be true if the DX11 game is as graphically hardcore as Crysis.. But still, as you say, it will be interesting to see how the new card performs under the new instruction set...

Back