Windows 7 DX11 Cards

Was the wait worth it? Will you be buying one?

• Price is too high so no to Fermi..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I bought a 5000 series and am happy..

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Both Fermi and 5000 series way too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At last! Can't wait to get my Fermi.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm waiting until the price drops.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I'm going to wait for the refresh and 512 cores

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Well I'm hoping for around the same time Jan/Feb but I also hope that the 5870 will sell for the same as the 4870 when it was released...
Another thing is that the 5870 is as long as the 4870x2! My 4870 is already tight against my HDD cage and I may have to get creative with the internals of my case to fit one in..

Japanese website Hermitage akihabara have scored front 3/4th view pictures of Sapphire's Radeon HD 5850 and 5870 in good quality.

Both the HD 5800 series cards are virtually identical from the outside - except for length. The HD 5850 ends up shorter - around 9.5"/24cm, around HD 4870/90 length; the HD 5870 is longer, at 10.5"/27cm length - the same length as a 4870 X2.

There has been considerable speculation about the HD 5850's appearance as no prior pictures had leaked on to the web (except a presentation slide). We have our answer now.

Both Sapphire cards feature the reference cooler, and sport 1GB GDDR5 memory. Needless to say, Sapphire and other vendors will surely release non-reference designs in the future. Also, the HD 5870 pictured below is the standard version. Rumoured is a 2GB HD 5870 SIX/Eyefinity edition as well as a 2GB standard edition. The HD 5870 will be priced in the $349-399 range, and the HD 5850 in the $249-299. Both release on 22nd/23rd September (depending on where you live), which is less than 4 days away. Rumours suggest widespread availability will follow a week later.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

http://vr-zone.com/articles/sapphire-ati-radeon-hd-5850-5870-pictured/7687.html?doc=7687

Yup they sound good although I won't be getting the 6 DVI output model..lol

I'm with you Kyle!... :D

This 5870 is looking more and more desirable but it would be prudent to wait like you say..

Radeon HD 5870 1GB to sell for $399 / €320
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Tuesday, 22 September 2009 10:00

Depends where you are

ATI is selling its Radeon HD 5870 1GB version of card with GDDR5 that comes with DVI, HDMI and Dual port for $333 before shipping cost and sales tax, as well as without a partner margin included.

This price transforms to $399 + sales tax in USA or roughly €320 with VAT in Europe. European guys will end up paying probably even more than suggested €320 as retailers will try to harvest the will to spend extra money for DirectX 11 cards.

The performance of the card is definitely good compared to both Nvidia GT200-based offerings or Radeon 48x0 cards, but again, with no DirectX 11 games around, it might not be a bad idea to see what the other graphics company has in store for DirectX 11.

The final spec includes a 256-bit memory interface, 32Mx 32 GDDR5 chips, dual-slot cooler, 850MHz core, 1600 Shader units and 1200MHz memory speed.

Let us not forget that the card comes with Crossfire bridge connector and at least DVI to VGA adaptor and Dirt 2 game coupon. The Radeon HD 4850 will sell roughly for €100 / $100 less.

The launch is tomorrow.

Well got some example prices now to work with from some of my favourite online retailers...

that puts the 5870 around a reasonable price here in the UK for the time being...I had expected that sort of price for release, hopefully they can shave another £50 off by turn of the year.

Overclockers.co.uk
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £298.99 inc VAT :razz:

- Core Clock: 850MHz
- Memory: 1024MB GDDR5
- Memory Clock: 4800MHz (Effective)
- Memory Bandwidth: 153.6GB/s
- Processing Cores: 1600
- Bus Type: PCI-Express 2.1
- Display Connectors: 2 Dual-Link DVI-I, 1 HDMI & 1 DisplayPort
- HDCP Capable
- DirectX 11 Support
- OpenGL 3.2 Support
- ATI CrossFireX Ready
- ATI Eyefinity Technology
- ATI Avivo HD
- ATI Stream Technology
- Includes: Colin McRae DiRT 2 & Battlestations Pacific
- Warranty: 2 Years

Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £198.98 inc VAT :razz:
- Core Clock: 725MHz
- Memory: 1024MB GDDR5
- Memory Clock: 4000MHz (Effective)
- Memory Bandwidth: 128.0GB/s
- Processing Cores: 1440
- Bus Type: PCI-Express 2.1
- Display Connectors: 2 Dual-Link DVI-I, 1 HDMI & 1 DisplayPort
- HDCP Capable
- DirectX 11 Support
- OpenGL 3.2 Support
- ATI CrossFireX Ready
- ATI Eyefinity Technology
- ATI Avivo HD
- ATI Stream Technology
- Warranty: 2 Years

Last edited:
Dabs also has them model listed at similar prices so safe to assume thats gonna be the standard price everywhere

On a bit of a downer, that £299 UK pricing also mean were are paying the equivalent of $491 for the 5870 and $327 for the 5850...(Current sterling to US Dollar rate is $1.64) so as per usual were getting ripped off if the yanks are only paying $379 (approx £231) for the top card (Newegg price).

Also been reading the first review I found on the 5870 (Hardware Canucks)...results in regard to DX9, Dx10, DX10.1 are a lot poorer than I'd hoped for

Benchmarkers Crysis, COD WAW, FALLOUT 3, Farcry 2, Left 4 Dead, HAWX, ...ALL clearly show the 4870x2 and Nvida 295 slightly faster or at worse equal to the 5870, the similar results seem due mainly to no Dx11 features (obviously till patches come out) and CPU bottlenecking despite using the fastest I7 CPU available...So looks like Dx11 games are the reason to have one.....or at least until the new features get wider support.

the full review can be found here
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...sapphire-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-gddr5-review.html

Last edited:
That's why when I posted the review, I said make up your own minds as I was disappointed with the results. One could say that driver immaturity could be the cause but apparently not...

I think I'm going stick to my original plan and wait for 2nd gen....or if Nvidia come up with the goods I may go with them....
Prices,prices...it all depends on prices..

I'm still confident that when it comes into it's own it will outperform current benches....just wished that legacy DX9/10 support was a bit more stellar performance, not really fair to bench using older dx builds until they tried DIRT2 using the older cards.

All in all compared to my humble 8800GTS it's still a very good upgrade in performance as it stands.

Well the performance may improve and we've yet to see what a 5870x2 will do.. Mind you, if the stories about the GT300 are true I wonder what Nvidia will actually turn up with?

I'm still sticking with my plan to wait for the 2nd gen DX 11 cards.. ;) These are good and all but the 2nd gen will be that much better.. Not to mention by the time the 2nd gen one's are out there will actually be some DX 11 games out and the gpu's will have had time to mature a little.. Thus giving us better results and a better overall product.. ;)

Some very good articles though.. :)

AMD respond to NVIDIA's tough Radeon HD 5800 questions
Author: Shane Baxtor Posted: 1 day, 7 hours Ago

I love the launch of new graphics cards, especially when it comes to AMD products. The main reason for this is that NVIDIA normally send over an email asking if we've got samples and when we respond with a yes, we get some questions that they think we should be asking ourselves.
This time was no different; the email came through right on time with NVIDIA asking the "tough" questions. To be honest though, I'm not AMD, I don't really feel great about answering questions on behalf of AMD, so with an email sent we had someone who was willing to respond. That person was Chris Hook who is AMD Global Communications, now with Global Communications in your title, you've got to feel pretty safe that the right person is responding.
So, what did NVIDIA ask and how did AMD respond?

Why is AMD focusing so much on DX11 when most games are on DX9 console ports?
Today and over the life of the Radeon HD 5000 series, dozens of triple A titles will leverage DirectX11 features. If NV was able to produce a DirectX11 card today, they'd be delivering a much different narrative on DirectX 11 to the press. If NV really believes that DirectX11 doesn't matter, then we challenge them to say that publically, on the record.

Aren't they punishing PC gamers by pushing out the schedule of PC titles such as Dirt 2 in order to support DX11?
Proprietary standards punish gamers, not industry standards like DirectX11. Why is NVIDIA punishing gamers by putting in proprietary and closed standards like PhysX in games?

When are GPU-accelerated Havoc titles going to be shipped? Do they have a list of games that will support Havoc?
PhysX has been around for years and years, but today, GPU-accelerated PhysX titles are still in the single digits. The physics experiences that many of those titles delivered have disappointed gamers and were widely panned by the press worldwide. GPU accelerated game physics will only be accepted in the marketplace when industry standards are embraced.

The answer to the first question is fair enough. Over the years, we're going to see tons of games that are going to take advantage of Direct X 11. The thing about technology is that has to be used in two ways (graphics cards and games) and that means someone has to take the first step. If developers started making games with Direct X 11, but there wasn't the ability to play them, other developers would be saying what a waste of time and effort - why implement a technology that cannot be used? The same can be said when it comes to the graphics card. Sure, word has come out that Dirt 2 isn't going to be full on when it comes to DX 11, but it's also going to be the first game to come out and make use of it. As time goes on, we're going to see more and more companies make more use and better use of the technology.
As someone who has become accustomed to release dates getting pushed further and further back, I'm not sure how delaying a game that a company is going to make only better is punishing users. Especially since AMD has teamed up with them to include it in their bundle that means everyone with a HD 5870, a Direct X 11 capable card, is going to be able to use the technology when it becomes available. Do we wish Dirt 2 was here now yes, but to be honest Windows 7 isn't here officially yet either, so we still wouldn't be able to make use of DX 11.
Honestly, we had to expect a stab at Havoc, and to be honest it's fair enough; we haven't heard a whole lot about Havoc titles. On the other hand, don't even get us started on PhysX. NVIDIA really pushed the ability to have one graphics card for gaming and a second for PhysX, but there has never really been a need to make use of this technology. To be honest, the only thing PhysX is doing for NVIDIA is increasing their 3DMark Vantage score, which has really annoyed me from day one. Personally I think that the Vantage team should have never implemented a technology that can boost your score, but only be used by one side.
We're not trying to stir up any trouble, NVIDIA asked the questions though and we thought that it was just fair that we get an answer to them. We have to thank AMD for taking the time to respond to the questions and especially getting the answers to us before the NDA lifting of the HD 5800.
No doubt we're going to see more and more of this over the years, and to be honest it's not really a bad thing. It keeps users informed of what's happening in the market and just is generally helpful information. Hopefully it is questions and answers like these that push more PhysX or Havoc enabled games on the market while also getting people excited about Direct X 11 and what it's going to offer over the years.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13199/amd_respond_to_nvidia_s_tough_radeon_hd_5800_questions/index.htm

Back