Windows 7 DX11 Cards

Was the wait worth it? Will you be buying one?

• Price is too high so no to Fermi..

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I bought a 5000 series and am happy..

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Both Fermi and 5000 series way too expensive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • At last! Can't wait to get my Fermi.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm waiting until the price drops.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I'm going to wait for the refresh and 512 cores

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
LOL.. I wish.. This new card from Nvidia sounds impressive though. Below is the latest post on the subject.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

3 billion transistors

Nvidia's CEO, Jensen Huang just posted the first official picture of Fermi rendering a Bugatti car and the slide confirms that the new GPU has 3 billion transistors. The car looks realistic and it is probably rendered at real time, but at press time we've only seen a picture of it.

The focus is definitely on GPU computing power of this chip. The Bugatti was done with raytracing and 2.5 million rays and it looks seriously realistic to the point that it's astonishing.

Since we're attending the keynote, we will update with more details in real time, so stay tuned.

NVIDIA's Fermi: Architected for Tesla, 3 Billion Transistors in 2010

NVIDIA's Fermi: Architected for Tesla, 3 Billion Transistors in 2010
Link Removed - Invalid URL Link Removed due to 404 Error
Date: September 30th, 2009
Topic: Link Removed due to 404 Error
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Author: Anand Lal Shimpi

The graph below is one of transistor count, not die size. Inevitably, on the same manufacturing process, a significantly higher transistor count translates into a larger die size. But for the purposes of this article, all I need to show you is a representation of transistor count.
transistorcount.png
See that big circle on the right? That's Fermi. NVIDIA's next-generation architecture.
NVIDIA astonished us with GT200 tipping the scales at 1.4 billion transistors. Fermi is more than twice that at 3 billion. And literally, that's what Fermi is - more than twice a GT200.
At the high level the specs are simple. Fermi has a 384-bit GDDR5 memory interface and 512 cores. That's more than twice the processing power of GT200 but, just like RV870 (Cypress), it's not twice the memory bandwidth.
fermiblock.jpg
The architecture goes much further than that, but NVIDIA believes that AMD has shown its cards (literally) and is very confident that Fermi will be faster. The questions are at what price and when.
The price is a valid concern. Fermi is a 40nm GPU just like RV870 but it has a 40% higher transistor count. Both are built at TSMC, so you can expect that Fermi will cost NVIDIA more to make than ATI's Radeon HD 5870.
Then timing is just as valid, because while Fermi currently exists on paper, it's not a product yet. Fermi is late. Clock speeds, configurations and price points have yet to be finalized. NVIDIA just recently got working chips back and it's going to be at least two months before I see the first samples. Widespread availability won't be until at least Q1 2010.
I asked two people at NVIDIA why Fermi is late; NVIDIA's VP of Product Marketing, Ujesh Desai and NVIDIA's VP of GPU Engineering, Jonah Alben. Ujesh responded: because designing GPUs this big is "fucking hard".
Jonah elaborated, as I will attempt to do here today.

AnandTech: NVIDIA's Fermi: Architected for Tesla, 3 Billion Transistors in 2010

Love the above quote ....lol.

Fermi pictured...

Fermi card pictured Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error Written by Link Removed due to 404 Error Thursday, 01 October 2009 00:25

Jensen showed what seems to be the first showcase of Fermi based card. The card is big, black and shiny and you can see a bit from the picture below.

jensenfermi_wtr.jpg

The happy chap next to Jensen and the Tesla branded card is Drew Henry General manager of Geforce and ION business.

fermi_wtr.jpg

Could be any card really...

More Pictures of the new card

First photos of NVIDIA Fermi Tesla card
By Hilbert Hagedoorn, October 1, 2009 - 8:10 PM

Some photo's of NVIDIA's upcoming Fermi Tesla card have been spotted on the web. This particular model is the next-gen Tesla part, it's not intended for gamers but for super computing. The aestehic build design should be the same though, have a peek.
imageview.php

imageview.php

Link Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URL

Faster than GTX 295 !

Last edited by a moderator:
That hand belongs to Jensens five year old son....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nvidia fakes Fermi boards at GPU Technology Conference

WHAT DO YOU DO when you have a major conference planned to introduce a card, but you don't have a card? You fake it, and Nvidia did just that.
In a really pathetic display, Nvidia actually faked the introduction of its latest video card, because it simply doesn't have boards to show. Why? Because it Link Removed due to 404 Error to properly bring them up, much less make demo boards. Why do we say they are faked? If you look at the pictures, it is painfully obvious that Fermi cards don't exist. Well, painful if you happen to be Dear Leader who waved fakes around and hopes to get away with it, but hilarious if you are anyone not working at Nvidia.
Lets go through this in pictures, shall we? Please note, none of the pictures are ours, and since you can find them on many other sites, they are likely Nvidia PR material. Since the company seems to have forgotten to mail us a copy, we will point to the ones at PC Watch.

More here:
SemiAccurate :: Nvidia fakes Fermi boards at GPU Technology Conference

LMAO.... I suppose the reposte would be "It was merely a mock-up of what the final cards will look like" or some dubious excuse...:razz:

It is embarrassing for Nvidia but as long as they get the cards out when they said they would then fair enough..
It's a bit weird though, this isn't the usual 'green machine' we've come to know over the last few years?

Well you just never know I guess... (but it wouldn't surprise me ;))

Fermi, GT300 to launch in late November Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error Written by Link Removed due to 404 Error Monday, 05 October 2009 10:47
nvidia.gif

If all goes well
Nvidia's CEO first said that Fermi, GT300 product will launch on Tuesday and didn't want comment whether it can launch in 2009 or 2010. After a while we found out from chaps from top management that this new 40nm chip should launch in 2009.

After digging a bit more, we found out that you can expect to see Fermi officially in late November. This date can easily slip as the engineers work around the clock to make it happen. The first sample is out and Nvidia did show it to some important investors and analysts. Nvidia is adamant that the physics demo is real and not a fake thing.

ATI will enjoy availability and exclusivity on market as it has two month lead but we hope ATI can get more cards out and serve them to early DirectX 11 adopters. Nvidia also told us that GT300 was never really a codename but we don't really care as GT300 definitely sounds better than Fermi.

Despite the fact that this chap was in part responsible for the creation of the first atomic weapon, he doesn't really have what we would call a cool name. Frankly, Fermi just reminds us on an average brand for cereal, but don't worry Nvidia will replace this name with Geforce, Tesla and Quadro, when the time comes.

ATI next generation is codenamed Hecatoncheires

ATI next generation is codenamed Hecatoncheires Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error Written by Link Removed due to 404 Error Friday, 09 October 2009 09:24
ati_logo2009.png

2010 new architecture

AMD is internally talking about its next generation stuff, something that looks to be the next, 2010 generation of DirectX 11 hardware.

The codename is Hecatoncheires, named after gigantic fifty headed creatures of great strength in Greek mythology which despite being weaker than Titans, managed to beat them. A simple analogy would put Nvidia in the role of Titans, and since Hecatoncheires had more heads, this would suggest a larger chip with more shaders.

In ancient Greek, Hecatoncheires means "hundred armed" and from what we hear this is a brand new architecture and not just improved version of R770, something that RV870 is.

There will be six other Greek names to take a place of three desktop and three mobile chips and they should be ready in late 2010.

Very interesting indeed!

Back
Top Bottom