Windows 8 easier computering

I goofed as Jan 2013 has gone by. The advisor was a feature that analyzed your machine to see if it met system requirements and also told you if anything in your OS would not be compatible. I lost my Bluetooth. I am awfully sorry for misleading you about the date. I should have read more carefully and not hurried.

As far as I can see, the only thing that expires on that page is the promotion itself. Your installation shouldn't expire...only fade away like it's predecessors have or will do.

As far as I can see, the only thing that expire on that page is the promotion itself. Your installation shouldn't expire...only fade away like it's predecessors have or will do.

>>If you are ok with this I feel better. I was trying to get you Win 8 pro with the media center for free. It seems like yesterday I installed it -time does fly!

Seeker, I am running it on VMWare.

win8.1.jpg

I just got it installed and I feel completely lost. Not even sure where to start...I do not want to have to learn completely new concepts to be able to do what I have always been able to do in the past with every other version of Windows that I have used. Where is the Control Panel? When I attempted to install my browser in it's customary position in my style of nested folders, it immediately barred me when I tried to add a folder to Programs(x86). There is a lot more than this confounding me, but the only way that I will ever reach a level of comfort with this OS, is when it will do what I want it to do, and not what it tells me that I must do.

Peterr stated that this OS had "all" of the drivers anyone would need already installed, but neither of my printers do. I think that the reason for this is that during the installation I chose not to have Windows Update automatically update everything (like apps), because on at least one of the printers, it said that the reason that the driver wasn't installed was because Windows Updates wasn't set to automatic. To change that, I assume that I have to go through the action center, or run Windows Update manually, but how is that done?

EDIT: I found the Control Panel, but I'm still groping in the dark for the light switch.

Last edited:
Seeker, that is exactly what everyone is yelling about... Start Menu was taken away and replaced with app like icons on start screen/metro UI. But actually, "windows key+X" will bring out some utilities like control panel, etc. You can easily run windows update from contro panel, too.

If you want to have a better control like you do with old versions, fire up the IE and google up and download "Classic Shell". It's a free app that will bring the start menu back on desktop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WindowsForum mobile app

I think that is the reason that I felt that some people though that W8 was designed for small device, like touch screen telephones. The icons might be easier to use in that fashion. So Far, I've not found anything that makes W8 better than W7.

Another thing bugging me is that when I first installed the OS, it only appeared on my smaller secondary monitor, while my WS monitor remained dead. So I installed the Nvidia driver and now both screens are running, but with black desktops, instead of with the desktop image that I had chosen.

Okay, the Classic Shell is installed and that is one step forward. I went to Windows Updates and set to to download updates but to let me select which to install. It now lists 22 regular updates and one optional, but I don't see a button to tell it to actually install anything...how is that done?

Last edited:
I finally found where they hid the install button for updates. It makes one wonder why anyone would change anything from something so simple. I think it is just the way that MS programmers amuse themselves (this ought to confuse them, ha ha).

Seeker:
Enjoying the debate on Win8/8.1

@Peterr: I too was hesitant to play with Win8; as I have now 3 or 4 customers with it and it was a pain to work with if you don't play with it every day. So a once a month mandatory visit to a Win8 customer machine became like the dreaded visit to the Doctor's Office! So, last month I downloaded the .iso Win8.1 free image and installed it on a 2nd drive--as others mentioned it's the best way to eval. a new version of Windows so it doesn't mess up your primary computing installation.

I was still languishing while using until I found Classic Shell (I think it was badrobot who suggested it--?); anyway it made a huge difference for me being able to find things the old XP-Win7 Programs menu method, and I actually began to use it daily for surfing and research tasks daily basis--I can live with it. I must also mention that it Win8.1 was a breeze to install, and most importantly it boots on my 5 yr. old Dell like it was brand new!

Cheers!

BIGBEARJEDI

For me, the debating is almost over, not only because of cosmetic changes and having to learn new ways to navigate the system, but because I'm starting to get the impression that W8 is nothing more than a client for Microsoft's Cloud. It seems that every way that I look, I see MS looking over my shoulder, monitoring what I'm doing, and telling me how to do it. If this is the future of computers, then I may not be around after W7 bites the dust.

BIGBEARJEDI,

and most importantly it boots on my 5 yr. old Dell like it was brand new!

What is a tech such as yourself doing with an over-the-counter computer?

Last edited:
Seeker, basically, if you are looking for a windows utility or anything, without even turning on the search bar,start typing on Start Screen and it will bring the icon up.

For the time being, I'm back in W7. I've had as large of a dose of W8 as my system can take at one time. I'll tinker with it some more when I feel up to it.

Seeker: so funny you mention that. :rolleyes: Years ago I used to build all my own systems from scratch--and that was back when it was actually cheaper to build your own from parts than to buy one. Circa 1998. With the advent of offshore mass production of systems, I'd have a hard time building a computer with as much horsepower as my Dell had (5 yrs. ago when I bought it) from parts for less than the $900 I paid for it. The video card I wanted was $350 alone! The RAM was like $200; and that's no Motherboard, CPU, or hard drive, PSU, or Case even. :insanity:

Also a couple of years ago I bought a retirement home, and I've spent the last 3 years pouring all my Cash into it, and so computer stuff always has been taking second seat to house stuff. If you're a home owner you'll know what I mean. My son who now is 24 and is fairly Tech-savvy wants me to build him a custom system, and we are looking at that next year as his Toshiba gaming laptop is crapping out due to the Motherboard. Plus, the $1,300 I spent on it for him was too slow after about 1 week when I brought it home from Best Buy! o_O He's determined that the only way to go is desktop--that the best laptops out there won't run the online Games he likes to play. So I am headed toward a customer build PC after many years.

BBJ

If your printer doesn't work, go to the manufacturer's site and enter your specs. When your pc printer is identified, you can install any updated drivers. I could not say it all in one post and neglected the printer driver. If you stayed with Win 8 for a while I will bet you would like it. I am as non techy as they come and it is easy for me because I gave it time.
If you want really easy, get a Chromebook and encrypt whatever goes to the Google drive. That is my next step for my wife who is pc illiterate.
Peter

Back
Top Bottom