Easy FIle Transfer from a backup image

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by KLund1, Nov 2, 2011.

1. KLund1

KLund1 New Member

Can I use easy file transfer from a hard drive back up image of XP? I can mount the image on my win 7 computer. Can easy file transfer pull the user profiles, data, pics, music,doc, etc from a mounted image in the same computer?
    The image is no longer restorable to any computer.

2. Medico

Medico Senior Member

You may have to partition your HD, then restore the XP Image, pull out whatever data you need (may not be able to get the user profile), then use Win 7 Disk Manager or a 3rd party partitioning app such as Partition Wizard (free) to delete the XP partition and extend the Win 7 OS back into the unallocated space left when you delete the XP partition.

Perhaps someone will be able to suggest altenative plans, but this is a pretty easy operation. Will not be particularly time consuming either.

3. KLund1

KLund1 New Member

Thanks for the reply. It was halpfull, but perhaps I was not as clear as I should have been.
    I have a Arconis True Image 2010 back up program. I made a backup hard drive image of XP some time ago with it. That computer has long since been reconfigured and re-purposed with new hardware.
    I can mount that backup image as a virtual drive on my Win7 computer. So it has a drive letter, say M: for example. I can view files, but not run any programs.
    I would like to use Microsoft's "Easy File Transfer" program to pull off all the old data, docs, etc from that virtual M: drive. Those files are scattered about the "M:" in hundreds of directories. Microsoft's "Easy File Transfer" can get those files and put them in to Win7 libraries for easy access.
    Can Microsoft's "Easy File Transfer" do this all inside 1 computer? When I've trtied it, Microsoft's "Easy File Transfer" gets data from the current C: Can I redirect it to this M: If so how, what steps to take.
    Thanks again for your help.

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I would have to say no. But you have the situation, why not tell us if it will?