Easy Transfer 64-32bit HELP

Ive just finally upgraded from a BETA build of 64bit Windows 7 to the Final of the 32bit version, the reason I went 32bit was there were too many driver problems on the 64 bit (our printer doesnt have 64 bit drivers for instance) so I decided to use the 'Easy Transfer' wizard BAD move.. because after formatting my HDD, doing a clean install im now stuck with all my settings, documents and data in a .mig file Im unable to retrieve anything from. it would have been nice to know this before I done the transfer, I would have gone down the slow path, is there any way I can pull these files out of a .mig file??? I dont give a crap about the settings

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Where is the .mig file in relation to your current install and what message are you getting?

Do you show any type of windows.old or hidden files that start with $ in the C: drive. I do not know if it would make those files when switching from 64 to 32 bit.

the .mig is on a network path, I chose to format the drive before doing the install as I wanted a fresh install, the message im getting is 'Windows Easy Transfer cannot transfer files from a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows'

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Looks like it can go from 32 to 64 but not the reverse. Do you have an image of your old install?

I will see if I can find a way to recover the files, but right now, I don't know.

yeah, exactly, right now im downloading the 64bit version to run in a virtual machine to get all my data back, like I said, it would have been nice to know all this before I used the Easy Transfer wizard

Urgh! Cancel that! cant install a 64bit OS on a 32bit Virtual Machine enviroment

I had to eventually download and install the 64bit version to get my files back, then re-install 32 bit and migrate it all manually.. its an ass process

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.