Windows 7 Enabe WLAN?

Couple things you might want to try, since resetting the wireless router would return it to factory settings which may, depending on the brand and model have reset wireless security to something different, even open (no security)
first open the services console and make sure that it is set to automatic and started
click the start orb and type
services.msc
scroll to near the bottom to
WLAN AutoConfig
double click it set the startup type to automatic and click the start button.
Open the network and sharing center
in the left column choose Manage wireless networks
select the profile listed and click remove
Close the network and sharing center and click the network icon in the lower right (notification area) select the appropriate wireless network (ssid) and click the connect button.
If prompted for a security key / passpharse enter the appropriate information and you should be good to go.
Probably should use a browser to visit your Router's interface page and configure wireless security appropriately I recommend WPA if both devices (router and adapter) support it as sometimes Win7 doesn't like WEP. Any other problems try changing the channel, (1, 3, 6, 9, 11) experiment most everyone uses 6 so I recommend 1 or 11 to test.
Regards
Randy

Thanks, but the router is all fixed, no problems with it at all now - problem lies with my laptop, the wireless isn't working at all - I uninstalled the settings for the router to it and now it's not showing up at all - there's no button for the wireless to turn it on or off, I can only press Fn + F3 but when I do nothing shows up - any help?

untitled.JPG This was all the info I was able to fill out - not at all sure about the rest.

Click the start orb and type
ncpa.cpl
and hit enter
In the resultant Network Connections window select then right click your wireless adapater and choose properties
In the resultant Properties dialog box click the Configure button near the top right and then select the Advanced tab from the tabs across the top.
In the left column look for something that references Blue Tooth (something like "802.11 Bluetooth High Speed"), select that and in the right column "Value:" box select disabled from the drop down.
OK your way back out of there and reboot the computer.
See if that helps at all.
Regards
Randy

That's the thing - there is no wireless adapter, only "Local Area Connection - Network cable unplugged" - I troubleshoot this and it tells me to plug an ethernet cable into my laptop - I followed your steps above for this connection but there was nothing about Bluetooth - I think the reason why no wireless adapter is showing is the fact my wireless on the laptop is broken or disabled somehow.

Click the start orb and type
device manager
and hit enter
expand network adapters
any mention of a wireless adapter there?
Anything in device manager mentioning "Other devices" or any indication of problem devices with red or yellow problem indicators?
Use the windows snipping tool to take a snapshot of your device manager and attach it to your next post. See attachment

Followed your steps above and the only network adapter showing at all is "Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet" - maybe it's not showing due to the fact I uninstalled the router settings from my previous problem?
Can't take snapshot - on home computer.

Followed your steps above and the only network adapter showing at all is "Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet"
Nothing in the way of "other devices" or problem devices of any type?
maybe it's not showing due to the fact I uninstalled the router settings from my previous problem?
No there is nothing regarding any router settings or software that would likely impact the presence of your wireless adapter in device manager
Can't take snapshot - on home computer.
Sure you can just open device manager
Hold the Alt key on your keyboard while striking the Print Screen Key
Then open up paint and paste (ctrl + V)
Save as .jpg

Nothing in the way of "other devices" or problem devices of any type? - No there's nothing like that coming up.

No there is nothing regarding any router settings or software that would likely impact the presence of your wireless adapter in device manager

Sure you can just open device manager
Hold the Alt key on your keyboard while striking the Print Screen Key
Then open up paint and paste (ctrl + V) - I know but considering the internet connection isn't working on my laptop, I can't transfer the snapshot image from my laptop to this computer.

I know but considering the internet connection isn't working on my laptop, I can't transfer the snapshot image from my laptop to this computer.
Have you considered either plugging in a Cat5 ethernet cable, to test and make sure there is nothing else wrong with your computer regarding networking issues?
Or have you considered using a thumb drive or other external media device to move files between computers?
Have you recently re-installed the Operating System on the problem PC?
Was the present wireless problem the reason why you decided you needed to reset your router?
If the wireless card is not showing up in device manager nowhere then it may have physically failed or depending on the type of adapter may have become dislodged.
Is the laptop still under warranty? Have you considered calling and or starting a trouble ticket with Acer Support?
You may need to pick up a USB wireless dongle to get you buy in the meantime.
Normally I would suggest installing drivers for the device from here Link Removed due to 404 Error but since there are two options and you don't even know which one it is suppose to be and the fact that the OS doesn't even know that the physical device is present, it's not likely that a driver installation will have any impact on the problem.

Last edited:
Have you considered either plugging in a Cat5 ethernet cable, to test and make sure there is nothing else wrong with your computer regarding networking issues? - I plugged in the ethernet cable that connects the router to the home computer and it works fine.

Have you recently re-installed the Operating System on the problem PC? - Not sure how to do this, help please?

Was the present wireless problem the reason why you decided you needed to reset your router? - The problem I had previously was "limited access" was coming up, my access to the internet changed every 5 minutes, so i reset the router and uninstalled the settings from my laptop.

If the wireless card is not showing up in device manager nowhere then it may have physically failed or depending on the type of adapter may have become dislodged. - I may check for the wireless card now.

Is the laptop still under warranty? Have you considered calling and or starting a trouble ticket with Acer Support? - yes, it is - the laptop is only 5 months max. old, but I'm not sure where the warranty is, and anyways I live in Ireland and it was purchased in England.

Link Removed due to 404 Error but since there are two options and you don't even know which one it is suppose to be and the fact that the OS doesn't even know that the physical device is present, it's not likely that a driver installation will have any impact on the problem. - I went onto the site of this and downloaded the Wireless LAN driver for Broadcom, but it made no difference.

The problem I had previously was "limited access" was coming up, my access to the internet changed every 5 minutes, so i reset the router and uninstalled the settings from my laptop.
This may be indicative of an adapter that was physically failing.

Even considering the geographical differences isn't there a UK Support Site that you can email, live chat, or call? Maybe they have knowledge of a pre-existing issue with that adapter and can offer some support options or even a parts exchange solution.
Try here Support

Back