Windows 7 Enable Direct2D and Hardware Acceleration in Mozilla Firefox

A little background for those who wondering what is Direct2D and DirectWrite Hardware Acceleration

Direct2D :

Direct2Dis a hardware-accelerated, immediate-mode, 2-D graphics API that provides high performance and high-quality rendering for 2-D geometry, bitmaps, and text. The Direct2D API is designed to interoperate well with GDI, GDI+, and Direct3D.

DirectWrite Hardware Acceleration:

Today's applications must support high-quality text rendering, resolution-independent outline fonts, and full Unicode text and layout support. DirectWrite, a new DirectX API, provides these features and more:

• A device-independent text layout system that improves text readability in documents and in UI.
  • High-quality, sub-pixel, ClearType text rendering that can use GDI, Direct2D, or application-specific rendering technology.
  • Hardware-accelerated text, when used with Direct2D.
  • Support for multi-format text.
  • Support for the advanced typography features of OpenType fonts.
  • Support for the layout and rendering of text in all supported languages.
  • GDI-compatible layout and rendering.
Note:

1. This will only work with Firefox 4 Beta and later
  2. Some Add-ons may interfere with proper operation when they call a certain API prematurely. I had problems with ABP add-ons managed to find a link for developers build https://adblockplus.org/devbuilds/adblockplus/
  3. Your Video Drivers should be updated to the latest version.
Here is how:

1. If you're not using Firefox 4 Beta download it from here. Firefox 4 Beta

2. On the Address bar type in about:config then click on "I'll be careful. I promise!"

Link Removed - Invalid URL

3. Under Filter type in "gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled" without Quotes and double click on it to change the value from False to True

4. Then under Filter type in "mozilla.widget.render-mode" without Quotes and double click on it change the value from -1 to 6

5. Now restart your browser to take effect

Hope this helps,
Captain

Back
Top Bottom