Windows 7 Encypted files???

Beatkeeper

Hi there i have somehow encrypted some files in a folder and cant open them, they are (where.avi) and now thet have turned into some weird format like (going out..wmvfgeffgef) what have i done and is there anyway to convert them back, i know that i checked some boxes in properties and clicked apply, have i applied some sort of windows encyption, and can it be undone, any help would be great as it's clips of my 2 tear old son from when he was born and i,m gutted :(
Thanks
Andy

Typically you can right click the file that is encrytped and choose properties and then choose the advanced button and then uncheck the encryption box.
You can do this at the file level, but you may have to do it at the folder level if encryption was set there, because the files will inherit the encryption setting from the parent folder unless you break inheritance.
See attachment

ok if i do this to a the parent foder at the top of the tree the it wont balls it all up will it? as i have unchecked that box in that certain folder, but i did check the box in the parent folder that contains all the other folders, will i try that?

I don't really understand the question. But I would first recommend that you take some time before going too much further to understand about EFS in Windows 7 and how to save, export and import your key, just to be safe. This should get you started Back up Encrypting File System (EFS) certificate
But the short answer to your questions is, encryption works at the root, that could be a folder containing many folders and files or even a volume (complete hard drive), when you choose to turn on encryption you are prompted to cascade the settings down, to sub containers, folders and files, likewise when you choose to turn off encryptions you are prompted to do the same.

Last edited:
ok i have read the link you provided and i,m still in the dark, i have went to advanced button and then uncheck the encryption box in all folders, but still nothing. What i did initially was encrypt them some how and went through a wizard that in the end created a .psx file (anchor) what i did was highlighted the whole folder inc sub folders and went through the wizard. i still have the anchor file but dont know what to do with it? it seems to have given the files a .avifget file extentsion any more help would be great, they cant be lost foreever i hope

Hi

Before you go any farther why don't you copy the folder and make a backup if it will let you?
Better to be on the safe side.

Mike

I have searched for any reference for the two file extensions that you mentioned (.avifget and .psx) and have not been able to find anything. It sounds like you may have used some type of third party software to accomplish the encryption but I can't figure out what it may have been. This is not the behavior of either of the two built in encryption utilities in Windows 7 that I am familiar with (ntfs/EFS does not change the file extension and BitLocker as far as I know will not work on files and folders, but only on entire Volumes/Drives).
Perhaps try to copy one single file of the "Encrypted" files to another folder or your desktop (if possible) check the properties and see if it still has the encryped attribute in it's properties and see if you can uncheck it. See if you can then open/view the file.
If you can remember the program/utility that you used to produce the present issue we may be able to find additional resources that may help.

Hi

This is a long shot but have you tried to rename one of the files to just .avi for the extension and see if it will run?

I'm pretty sure that fgets is part of a program language of some sort having something to do with file handling.
Whether that's related to this I have no idea.

MIke

Last edited:
ok i have backup folder, and i never used any 3rd party software, tried just naming .avi but still wouldn't read, i'll try to copy one single file of the "Encrypted" files to another folder or your desktop (if possible) check the properties and see if it still has the encryped attribute in it's properties and see if you can uncheck it. See if you can then open/view the file. Could it matbe be that when i was un encypting the folder i cancelled halfway through?

Could it matbe be that when i was un encypting the folder i cancelled halfway through?
I could see how that might have left some files unencrypted and perhaps the current file or files that were being encrypted in some kind of limbo state, depending on how you cancelled the process. But I don't see how that would account for the file extensions being altered and I still have no explanation for the .psx (anchor file).
What type of files are these? Are they all movie files? Or are they a mix of assorted files?
Generally speaking as a possible last resort, if you have a thumb drive or other external or internal drive that is formatted as a FAT volume, like FAT32 or FAT16, you can try copying one of the problem files to that drive and see if anything changes since FAT volumes do not support NTFS EFS file encryption. Just a thought.

yes they are all movie files and are on a ex hd that is formatted in NTFS, i shall try the usb FAT32 drive tomoz, thanks i'll let you know how i get on.

Back
Top Bottom