End of May 2012 Forum Updates

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
It has been a busy day at Windows 7 Forums ("windows7forums.com") and Windows 8 Forums ("windows8forums.com")! And a busy night!

Internal Server Upgrades

We have updated our central web server and database engine for better performance and security. This includes updates to PHP.

Windows7Forums.com on Android OS
For your convenience, the Windows7Forums.com Android app has been updated as of 2012-05-21. Find it at Google Play by clicking here.

Automatic Similar Thread Suggestions
When creating a new thread, a search will be conducted for similar threads at your convenience. If this becomes too annoying for a majority of members, we may discontinue or alter this feature.

Latest Core Forum Software Online
We have upgraded to the latest version of vBulletin, which already includes many changes introduced when testing the non-public release. A significant number of updates with vBulletin 4.2 Beta 1 and PHP itself include performance enhancements that should improve page load time significantly. See also: Forum Code Upgrade

Double Post Feature
We have instituted double-post prevention and if you reply to your own post within a certain duration of time, that response will be merged if no one else has yet to respond.

Security Audits
We are conducting nightly internal security audits to eliminate duplicate/multiple accounts for abuse prevention. If you feel that an error has been made, please Link Removed due to 404 Error directly.

Database Improvements
We have restructured our database server to improve performance.

Worldwide Content Delivery Continues
We would like to thank the owners of MaxCDN, specifically the company CEO, for continuing to honor our content delivery network agreement. This allows us to provide easy access to the website around to remote locations on multiple continents.

Have something to say about the service?
We are continuing to explore further improvements to our service. If you have any suggestions, please use the Link Removed due to 404 Error. Thank you for your patience!

New Editor Options
We have added strikethrough BBCode for any members who may want to use it. It is located as a button on the advanced editor and can also be used via "S" with brackets.

Windows 8 Release Preview on the Horizon
We are getting ready for the big time Windows 8 release candidate the first week in June! Visit us at http://windows8forums.com and join our sister site! We will be building up momentum and looking for stand-out volunteers to join our expanding team at this time.

Front-Page Aesthetics
Subscribed thread notifications and other member-related data will appear next to threads on the right-hand side bar of the front page of the website (as requested by Randy Baker).

We are always working to bring you the latest updates. Check back soon for more details. Remember that all of these changes are retro-active for Windows8Forums.com as well.

Thanks for your support and viewership! :worked_till_5am:

I also notice that profile pages now seem to default to user activity as apposed to visitor messages when first opened, is there any way to change this back within ones profile settings (just my personal preference). I've looked but to no avail.....

The tab view picker code that controls the display of tabulated data on profile pages doesn't support this as a custom preference at this time. Because the activity stream contains real information about how you are using the website, it also makes it easier for search engines that are scanning profiles to find your written text on the site as soon as they hit the page. It is unlikely that we will force a code change for it or that vBulletin will add additional functionality in this area as far as I can honestly tell you.

Thank you for the reply.. :) It's no real biggie just a personal preference that I can easily live without...

Back