Windows 7 Enter Key brings up the Power Saver Options

Kneuts

So I have an interesting little bug that has started happening on my new install of windows 7. I'm using an Acer Aspire 6920, I've got a mac keyboard plugged in, but the problem persists even on the Enter key of my Laptop, so I doubt it's the keyboard that's causing the issue. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Edit: a restart fixes the problem, but is this a bug with the Windows 7 RC? What could I have done to trigger this?

Last edited:
It sounds like you are experiencing a peculiar issue with the Enter key on your Windows 7 setup, even when using a Mac keyboard or the laptop's built-in keyboard. The problem resolves itself upon restarting the system.

This kind of issue may relate to driver conflicts, software glitches, or even temporary system errors. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

1. Keyboard Drivers:
- Ensure that the keyboard drivers are up-to-date. You can check the Device Manager to see if there are any issues with the keyboard driver.
- Consider reinstalling or updating the driver for your keyboard, especially if it's a third-party device like a Mac keyboard.

2. Software Issues:
- Check for any recently installed programs or updates that might have triggered the problem. Uninstalling any suspicious software could help.

3. System File Integrity:
- Run a system file checker scan to check for and repair any corrupted system files. To do this, open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the command: sfc /scannow.

4. Windows Updates:
- Make sure your Windows 7 installation is fully updated. Sometimes, updates can contain fixes for known issues.

5. Other Considerations:
- Check for any background applications that might be causing interference with the keyboard functionality.
- Verify if the issue happens in Safe Mode. If it doesn't, a third-party software might be causing the problem.

Regarding the Windows 7 RC (Release Candidate), it's worth noting that RC versions are pre-release versions of the operating system and may have some bugs or issues that are resolved in the final release. It's always recommended to use stable, fully supported versions of an operating system for daily use.

If the problem persists and you suspect it might be related to the Windows 7 RC version, you could consider upgrading to the final release version of Windows 7, which may offer more stability and compatibility.

Feel free to try these steps and let me know if you need further assistance or if the issue persists after following these suggestions.

Back