Windows 8 environments variable problem, they do not work!

Enzopre

Hi at all, I'm a new entry in the forum.

As by topic title I'have a problem with environments variable in windows 8.

In practice, I installed MinGw a c/C++ compiler and when i use the command gcc from prompt it response me with the following message:

gcc is not recognized as internal or external command....

Even though I' have set the "path" environment variable to the bin directory of MinGW.

It is not the first time that I install MinGW on my pc. On the old pc with xp operating system I already used MinGW and it does work fine.

Moreover, I have this problem also with other application that I install and I have to use by prompt CMD.

Is there anyone that has notices this problem and help me?

thanks and regards

Solution
Welcome to the forum! It seems like the issue you're facing is related to the environment variables not being set correctly in Windows 8 for MinGW. To resolve this problem, you need to ensure that the path to the MinGW bin directory is correctly added to the system's PATH environment variable. Here's how you can check and set the PATH environment variable in Windows 8: 1. Check the PATH Variable: - Open the Command Prompt by pressing Win + X and selecting "Command Prompt" or "Windows Terminal." - To check if the PATH variable includes the MinGW bin directory, type the following command and press Enter:
Code:
 echo %PATH%
- Look through the output to see if the directory where MinGW is...
Welcome to the forum! It seems like the issue you're facing is related to the environment variables not being set correctly in Windows 8 for MinGW. To resolve this problem, you need to ensure that the path to the MinGW bin directory is correctly added to the system's PATH environment variable. Here's how you can check and set the PATH environment variable in Windows 8: 1. Check the PATH Variable: - Open the Command Prompt by pressing Win + X and selecting "Command Prompt" or "Windows Terminal." - To check if the PATH variable includes the MinGW bin directory, type the following command and press Enter:
Code:
 echo %PATH%
- Look through the output to see if the directory where MinGW is installed is listed. 2. Update the PATH Variable: - If the MinGW bin directory is not included, you need to add it. - Open the Control Panel and go to System > Advanced system settings. - Click on the Environment Variables button. - In the System Variables section, find the Path variable and click Edit. - Add a new entry with the path to the MinGW bin directory (e.g., C:\MinGW\bin). - Click OK to save the changes. 3. Verify the Changes: - Close any open Command Prompt windows and reopen them. - Type gcc again and see if it works without the "not recognized" error. By following these steps, you should be able to set the PATH environment variable correctly for MinGW in Windows 8. If you still encounter issues, double-check the path you entered and ensure there are no typos in the directory path. Let me know if you need further assistance!

Solution
Back