Windows 8 err_name_not_resolved

gianniscfa

hello, i recive this message for weeks ago, and i want to find a solution cuz sometimes i dont have internet access. when i go to a page on google chrome say err_name_not_resolved or dns not found etc.. i have run sfc /scannow, i have run malwarebytes for virus but same think.. i have call my ISP and they cant find the solution, probably the problem it is with my pc.. i am connected with external antena ..

Well it sounds like whatever DNS server you are querying, typically your ISPs, is not able to resolve these pages.
  • Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and verify you have a DNS server listed. It will probably be your gateway address
  • Flush your DNS with ipconfig /flushdns
  • Try changing the DNS servers you are using on your router you can use google's public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
More advanced troubleshooting would be to install wireshark, flush your DNS, run wireshark and filter for DNS and then ping one of the website you can't resolve.

Well it sounds like whatever DNS server you are querying, typically your ISPs, is not able to resolve these pages.
  • Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and verify you have a DNS server listed. It will probably be your gateway address
  • Flush your DNS with ipconfig /flushdns
  • Try changing the DNS servers you are using on your router you can use google's public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
More advanced troubleshooting would be to install wireshark, flush your DNS, run wireshark and filter for DNS and then ping one of the website you can't resolve.

thanks for reply, but with this happening?

Please provide hardware specs on the computer you are getting this error message on. Is it a desktop PC or a laptop/tablet? Is it an OEM PC (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba)? Or is it a self-built PC or custom-built PC? If self-built or custom-built PC, please post Motherboard specs, GPU card specs, and PSU make/model and wattage.

If you don't have available, please go to piriform.com and download the free SPECCY DIAGNOSTIC. Download & install SPECCY and run it and post the resulting output text file back here to this thread by uploading a file. We can then take a look at your hardware environment and analyze it for possible failures.

Thanks,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

This error message tells you that an internet site name (like www.YouTube.com) could not be translated to the appropriate number (216.58.194.46) and the internet network protocols needs that number to connect.
The translation is done by the DNS server, your ISP (Internet Server Provider) knows which one you should use.
Let's see if there is one: use the Windows key and X together, select Command prompt and type in the command promt ipconfig /all followed by a Return.
Could you tell us what is shown as DNS server? Or even better upload the output of ipconfig /all

It could be caused by a bad or busy DNS server (your ISP is responsibable for it) or a bad wifi connection or a configuration fault in your PC, we will see

It tells that DNS requests are sent back to the modem / router, which in turn will probably sent them back to your ISP.

Are there more computers connected to this router and do they have the same problem or is your computer the only one with this problem?

Thanks for posting back your specs. Though it's somewhat incomplete, it's a start.

Network troubleshooting can be tricky. Did you try neemo's suggestion from POST #2 on changing your DNS ip addresses? This often solves the problem or at the very least will help us to identify it.

Here are some other easy things to try:
1.) Can you hook up your computer directly to your Cable Modem or DSL Modem Ethernet port via a hardline Ethernet cable? (for example: a Cat5 or Cat6 Ethernet cable) In other words bypass your wifi router if you have one. Plug directly into your Ethernet ISP-provided box's Ethernet port. This may require you to physically move your PC to another room in your house (which I know is a pain), but if your PC then connects to the Internet your Windows networking, RAM, hard drive, are probably ok.:blink:

2.) If #1 fails, your PC configuration has failed.:waah: This can be caused by Windows system file corruption, virus/malware infection, or failed hardware such a RAM memory stick(s) or a failed hard drive! Since your ISP has already had a look at your Modem and probably performed an end-to-end diagnostic, their suspicion that the problem lies in your PC is correct. At this point, you'll need to perform hardware and then software troubleshooting to resolve the problem within your PC. I'll give you a link on how to do this. HERE'S THE TROUBLESHOOTING LINK: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

3.) If #1 passes (works), then the problem could be in your wireless driver or the device has failed completely. It could also be from a virus/malware infection. Nowhere in this thread has anyone suggested that you scan for viruses yet. You should do this with the built-in antivirus you have installed on your computer. Additionally, download the free MALWAREBYTES from Malwarebytes.org which checks for spyware viruses that most AV programs can't catch. Detect/disinfect any all virus/spyware virus infections from your PC and proceed to #4.

4.) After scanning for and removing viruses from your hard drive, the next thing is to have a looksee at your Wireless adapter driver in Device Manager. Does the listing under the Network Adapters heading show any icons such as the yellow triangle warning or the red-x warning next to your wireless adapter entry? [D-link DWA-140 Wireless N adapter]. If it does, you'll need to set a Restore Point and then uninstall the driver. Go the D-link support page and download the most current driver for your wireless adapter. Disable your AV program, and install the new D-link driver. Make sure it has no warning icons next to it in Device Manager. If ok now, unplug your Ethernet cable from your Modem, plug in your wifi router back to the modem, and attempt to wirelessly connect your PC to the Internet via your wifi connection. Post back result. If it works, your D-link driver was messed up and now works again! :up:

5.) If #4 give you no good result, it could be your wifi adapter that failed.:waah: To test for this, ask if your friend with the identical PC build would mind helping you a bit. Remove your D-link adapter from your PC and take over to his place. Set a Restore Point on his PC, and uninstall his wifi adapter driver (D-link or other). Visit the D-link support page and download the latest driver onto your friend's PC. Install the D-link driver and plug in your D-link adapter to his PC. If you get the Internet through his wireless connection to the Internet, your D-link adapter is Ok!:up: And the problem still resides elsewhere in your PC. To find that, have a look at this TROUBLESHOOTING LINK: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

6.) Next, you need to troubleshoot your PC further to find the problem there. Use the link in #5 above to do this. Once you backup your personal data to as the link suggests, you can proceed with hardware testing and software repairs. These are 85% successful in cases such as yours. With a known good wifi adapter, it is a relatively, yet time-consuming process to repair your windows or any borked hardware you find along the way (bad RAM stick(s) or Hard Drive). Windows restore/reset/reinstallation from factory Recovery media will almost always do the trick and get your PC back on the Internet via the D-link adapter! :up:

None of this will be easy, certainly no easier than the effort you put into building your PC back 3-4 years ago whenever you first built it. If you get stuck, you can post back here for help; we are here 24x7x365. If you get frustrated and do not feel you or your friend are capable of solving it, you can always take it to your local computer repair shop and pay a licensed professional Technician to fix the problem for you. But, in 100% of the time, it is fixable. It may require you throwing some money at the problem however to do so, if you get in over your head that may lie in your future.

Best of luck,
BBJ

Last edited:
Thanks for posting back your specs. Though it's somewhat incomplete, it's a start.

Network troubleshooting can be tricky. Did you try neemo's suggestion from POST #2 on changing your DNS ip addresses? This often solves the problem or at the very least will help us to identify it.

Here are some other easy things to try:
1.) Can you hook up your computer directly to your Cable Modem or DSL Modem Ethernet port via a hardline Ethernet cable? (for example: a Cat5 or Cat6 Ethernet cable) In other words bypass your wifi router if you have one. Plug directly into your Ethernet ISP-provided box's Ethernet port. This may require you to physically move your PC to another room in your house (which I know is a pain), but if your PC then connects to the Internet your Windows networking, RAM, hard drive, are probably ok.:blink:

2.) If #1 fails, your PC configuration has failed.:waah: This can be caused by Windows system file corruption, virus/malware infection, or failed hardware such a RAM memory stick(s) or a failed hard drive! Since your ISP has already had a look at your Modem and probably performed an end-to-end diagnostic, their suspicion that the problem lies in your PC is correct. At this point, you'll need to perform hardware and then software troubleshooting to resolve the problem within your PC. I'll give you a link on how to do this. HERE'S THE TROUBLESHOOTING LINK: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

3.) If #1 passes (works), then the problem could be in your wireless driver or the device has failed completely. It could also be from a virus/malware infection. Nowhere in this thread has anyone suggested that you scan for viruses yet. You should do this with the built-in antivirus you have installed on your computer. Additionally, download the free MALWAREBYTES from Malwarebytes.org which checks for spyware viruses that most AV programs can't catch. Detect/disinfect any all virus/spyware virus infections from your PC and proceed to #4.

4.) After scanning for and removing viruses from your hard drive, the next thing is to have a looksee at your Wireless adapter driver in Device Manager. Does the listing under the Network Adapters heading show any icons such as the yellow triangle warning or the red-x warning next to your wireless adapter entry? [D-link DWA-140 Wireless N adapter]. If it does, you'll need to set a Restore Point and then uninstall the driver. Go the D-link support page and download the most current driver for your wireless adapter. Disable your AV program, and install the new D-link driver. Make sure it has no warning icons next to it in Device Manager. If ok now, unplug your Ethernet cable from your Modem, plug in your wifi router back to the modem, and attempt to wirelessly connect your PC to the Internet via your wifi connection. Post back result. If it works, your D-link driver was messed up and now works again! :up:

5.) If #4 give you no good result, it could be your wifi adapter that failed.:waah: To test for this, ask if your friend with the identical PC build would mind helping you a bit. Remove your D-link adapter from your PC and take over to his place. Set a Restore Point on his PC, and uninstall his wifi adapter driver (D-link or other). Visit the D-link support page and download the latest driver onto your friend's PC. Install the D-link driver and plug in your D-link adapter to his PC. If you get the Internet through his wireless connection to the Internet, your D-link adapter is Ok!:up: And the problem still resides elsewhere in your PC. To find that, have a look at this TROUBLESHOOTING LINK: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

6.) Next, you need to troubleshoot your PC further to find the problem there. Use the link in #5 above. to do this.

when 2-3 devices is connected on my router/modem then i show this message.. and limited connected devices is 8 i think. so this is not the problem.. if i show u my setting of my interface or if u connect on my pc with teamviewer, can u fix it? do u know about their settings on modems ? i have run a lot of antivirus programs but nothing changed

Another possibility, the routing table in the modem/router may have been corrupted.
To solve this, switch off each and any computer / laptop / printer in your network not only the wireless connected but also the cable connected , and switch off your modem and router.
If it are two seperate boxes then first switch on your modem, than switch on your router again and than one by one your computers / laptops / printers.....

If it only happens when you have more computers connected and not happens when you have only one computer connected than it can also mean that your connection speed is too slow. If the internet is too slow your router has to store all waiting DNS requests which may lead to the same error.

Last edited:
when 2-3 devices is connected on my router/modem then i show this message.. and limited connected devices is 8 i think. so this is not the problem.. if i show u my setting of my interface or if u connect on my pc with teamviewer, can u fix it? do u know about their settings on modems ? i have run a lot of antivirus programs but nothing changed
>>>So, you didn't do #1 in my POST #9 then??:question: You need to troubleshoot this problem, like any network problem with the fewest number of devices connected on your LAN as possible. Like the old song, "1 is the loneliest number", it's also the best way to troubleshoot your network, with only 1 computer connected to your Modem or Modem/Router combo. To clarify, you got no error messages with only the 1 computer connected to your Modem or Modem/Router combo, correct? Then when you add additional computers back into your Modem by plugging back in your Router and plugging in those additional computers to the Router you get the error message right? Can you tell us whether you have 2 boxes or not, as referenced in bochane's post above? Do you plug your extra computers into the Modem ports (RJ45 Ethernet), or do you plug your Router into the Modem (WAN port), and then plug your extra computers into the Ethernet ports (RJ 45) on the Router? We can't see what you have, unless you can send us a photo with your smartphone, so you have to be specific on what you have in front of you. We aren't psychics!:ohno: Did you try items #2-#6?? Your response is very confusing and cryptic.:confused:
Finally, we are not allowed to remote into forum User's PC's to repair your problem, sorry!:ohno:That violates the terms of use of this forum--and also the other 3 forums I volunteer on. You can however, contact a professional licensed computer Tech from a reputable firm such as iYogi (they are a Microsoft Platinum partner) to do this for you if you wish.:call: The cost is about $150-$300 US; so we'll certainly understand if you can't afford that. However, it's an option if you follow all our troubleshooting suggestions and cannot resolve the problem on your own.
Please post back more information as requested, and will can advise you further.<<<

BBJ

Back