Windows 7 error 0x80070017

ryen2324

i am trying to upgrade my laptop from vista to 7 and every time i try to do it goes through just fine until it gets to the transferring files stage and then it gets to 49% and then hangs there and doesnt move. after awhile an error message comes up saying "windows cannot copy files required for installation. the files may be corrupt or missing. make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. error code: 0x80070017"

I dont know what to do next.

any ideas?

We most all agree that a "clean" install is the only way to go.

Hundreds of useless files are left on your system and can cause conflicts.

all i have is the upgrade disk that sony supplied me with. the options are to upgrade or a custom install. i have tried both and they both stop at the same place.

Man, these manufacturer's provided disks suck.

I guess it's because it loads all the pre-installed software back on the computer.

I'd contact Sony, they should provide free support and maybe that disk is defective.

yeah i have been talking to them numerous times now and they have all given me answers but none that actually fix my problem. now im thinking of just asking them to supply me with a new disk because it isnt my computer

Same issue sony disk

I face the same issue. I have clean installed Vista with latest update from microsoft. I try installling Windows 7 from disk supplied by Sony. I get the same error. Please post if you got any fixes...

Thanks

after much hard ships through the process i finally just called sony about it and they gave me some steps to try to fix it and when none of those suggestions fixed the problem they concluded that it was a faulty disk and they are sending me a new one. you should call their technical support number and they will probably give you the same advice

You guys should contact them and tell them you need the disk immediately.

Be forceful and they;ll take action.

Same problem here with a Windows Vista 32 bit upgrade with a Windows 7 32bit family pack, strange thing is that the disc worked already on a different computer, looks like im stuck doing a fresh install, hope it works out for you guys

Got a new Disk Coming...So they say...

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS IF YOUR SONY WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE DISK IS CORRUPT
Just say the quoted text below to expediate the process. Great explanation RYEN2324.

For people with the Sony issue. Call Sony at 239-768-7669/1-888-476-6972 and get to their Windows 7 Tech Support through the phone options. Say exactly what RYEN is quoted below. They will research and then will tell you it is disk issue. Then they will give you a Sony Support Ticket Number. They will also give the following number to call. 909-930-0800 for Mentor Media enter extention 777/778/779. Be ready with your orginal SONY_US order number, the white Barcode number on the back of the DVD case and your Sony Support ticket number. Once you give all three they say they will ship a new DVD. Then sit back and wait.......

i am trying to upgrade my laptop from vista to 7 and every time i try to do it goes through just fine until it gets to the transferring files stage and then it gets to 49% and then hangs there and doesnt move. after awhile an error message comes up saying "windows cannot copy files required for installation. the files may be corrupt or missing. make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. error code: 0x80070017"

I dont know what to do next.

any ideas?

exactly what I did and they are sending me a brand new upgrade disk at no extra charge. just the waiting for the disk to get here is the hard part. still havent received it

Still Waiting....

Ryen...did you get yours by any chance. Last time they sent tracking numnber. Nothing so far...:mad:

yeah it takes awhile for them to process everything. my should be coming tomorrow. i just barely got my tracking number on monday so give it one more week. if nothing then i would call them again to see if they will tell you how far along your disc is and how much longer it should be

Just to save my time, but I might try it anyways in my free time. Here is what I think might solve it: Copy all the files on my laptop(wich works fine) and put them on the computer(wich has the same error). I mean I tried tons of solutions starting from the bootrec and even a TOTAL WIPE CLEAN OF THE DISK. And all failed. I tried everything possible here. Maybe, but IDK maybe switching the ram slots? The PC has one 2G plate.

Hi Chris,
this error can mean that the files contained on the install disk are corrupt. Did you create/burn the disk?

Sorry, Chris, that particular fix will not work!:down: Even if you copied all the Windows systems files over from the laptop to the desktop PC, you would get a Windows Activation failure error since the license key for the laptop cannot be used again on a different computer!:noway: The laptop Windows license is tied to the laptop Motherboard hardware, and so won't work again, unless you deactivate the Win7 on the laptop and never use it on the Internet again. :waah:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back