Windows 7 Error 0x800700DF : The file exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved

polimangas

I am attempting to transfer large files from my Windows Home Server (Server 2003) to my laptop (Pavillion DV7 Quad Core) running Windows 7 (64) professional via a webdav drive mapping.

I get this error when trying to copy a file from the network drive share to my local drive on the laptop.

I have searched to no avail for a solution... I can't be the only one experiencing this error?!?!?!?!?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Gus

Last edited:
I suspect that the problem is the same one that goes back to XP as well as Vista, regarding WebDav and WebClient, it was built in supposedly to protect against DDoS attacks and can be adjusted here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters\FileSizeLimitInBytes
the default is set to 50,000,000 (50 megs). Read this article for some potential explanation and help You may receive an error message when you try to download a file that is larger than 50000000 bytes from a Web folder on a computer that is running Windows Vista or that is running Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or with Service Pack 2 remember if you are going to edit the registry, create a restore point, export the key before editing and backup the registry.

Thanks for the informative reply! I have since set the "FileSizeLimitInBytes" to 1500000000. Now when I attempt to transfer a file just under that size from a web folder to my local drive it just seems to sit there and do nothing with an active hourglass. Is there a limitation to the set value size??? Will setting the value to 0 remove the limitation, if not then is there a way to remove this limitation completely. I have a need to transfer large files and it makes it convenient if I could do so via a mapped drive.

Again, thanks a bunch for your help.

Back