Windows 8 Error: 0xc000000f

Cat

A couple of days ago I was on my computer and everything was fine except I tried to open Itunes and it wouldn't. I got an error message but I can't remember what it said. I restarted the computer to see if this would fix it. However It wouldn't load and I got a blue screen on start up. I can't remember what it said exactly, but It showed this file location as having the issue:
file:\windows\system32\winload.efi

...and this was the error code:
0xc000000f

I pressed f8 and (somehow, I can't remember how exactly) got to the startup settings. I selected, (I think it was) 'Refresh operating system'. I clicked this and selected the Windows 8 OS, I have 8 and 10 on my computer and it tells me to choose which ever upon start up (i'm not sure why this is).

The refresh OS was done and I could log on. I didn't realise this would erase all of my programs, which was annoying. It kept all of my individual, personal files, however.
There still seems to be issues with my computer. Icons are flashing. I don't have permission to open certain things and I can't open 'Computer Management'.

I'm not sure what to do. Can I just back up all my files and re set the computer? I don't really know what I'm doing..

Last edited:
Hi Cat,
first, if the bsod starts up again then use the app found in this thread and post the results:
How to ask for help with a BSOD Problem

Try running these scans to see if helps with your current issues:

File scans
Find Command Prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

If it doesn't help then please post the details of the machine your using as well as any dump files you may have.

Back