Windows Vista Error 118

redvert

A friend of mine recently had work done on her 32 bit computer which is running Vista Home edition. The work involved having to reload the operating system. She bought a Norton security program online but when she tries to download it, she gets a message that it can not download due to a "error 118." My best guess is that when the data was reloaded that some data was not loaded or was corrupted. I found a number of "error 118" fix programs in a Google search but all of them end up wanting to sell a $29.99 program which is no guarantee that they will fix anything.

My friend does not have a Vista disc and the previous work was not done locally so my question is, what do I do to fix the problem. This error 118 seems to be somewhat common so I am hoping that there is a fix.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me.

First bit of advice, tell friend to stay away from Norton products....they're bad news and a system resource hog.

Next: Is this a retail purchase PC, if so what's the make and model? Can you post a screen shot of your friends disk mangament window?

Might be a couple days before I can get the info you asked for, will get back to you as soon as I can.

Let me add to be sure I understand your request, is this the image you are referring to? This disk management image is from my computer.

Attachments

• Disk2.JPG
    Disk2.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 549
Yep...that's it. If this is a retail PC, it should have a D: drive which is the hidden partition that contains the OS as a backup. If it does then you can use that with what ever vendor software it came with to reinstall the OS. Which is what I would do since it has been recently been done and if your suspicion of a corrupt install, it just might be worth the effort to do just that.

In the meantime, try running sfc /scannow in an admin command prompt.....this will repair/replace any system files.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

A friend of mine recently had work done on her 32 bit computer which is running Vista Home edition. The work involved having to reload the operating system. She bought a Norton security program online but when she tries to download it, she gets a message that it can not download due to a "error 118." My best guess is that when the data was reloaded that some data was not loaded or was corrupted. I found a number of "error 118" fix programs in a Google search but all of them end up wanting to sell a $29.99 program which is no guarantee that they will fix anything.

My friend does not have a Vista disc and the previous work was not done locally so my question is, what do I do to fix the problem. This error 118 seems to be somewhat common so I am hoping that there is a fix.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me.

Hello,

Can you ask your friend to try the instructions from the following link to download Norton product?
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/in/home/current/solutions/kb20090505145926EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

You can also download the installation file to any other computer and transfer it using USB drive or CD/DVD, whichever works best for you. Let me know if you need further help.

Thanks!
Harry
Norton Support

Let me apologize to all of you that had taken the time to offer help with the issue my friend had with her computer back in early November. Shortly after I initially had posted the problem my friend had to leave the area due to family illness. When she returned weeks later she informed me that she was giving the computer to a relative and thus would no longer need any assistance. I know that I had begun typing a message to the forum updating you on her decision but I must of been interrupted or something because I now see that I never submitted that message. I make a habit of immediately verifying that any messages I send are in fact received so I do not understand what happened. My guess would be that I was distracted and when I again looked at what I had typed that I assumed that I had already submitted it.

Once again, I apologize.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom