Error 1326?

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor

This is kind of a last resort.
I have been getting this error for a while on anything from Adobe or Apple that I try and install or uninstall.

I have searched the web and can not find any answer except for a lot of people trying to sell software that is supposed to get rid of this error.

I have also found posts from people who bought the software and said it didn't work.

I tried to reinstall Adobe Premiere Elements 8 and I got this error when it was trying to uninstall it prior to reinstalling it.

I tried to install Adobe Premiere Elements 9 trial and I get the same error just before it completes installation.

I get this error if I try and uninstall an earlier version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (I have the new one installed as well).

And I get this error if I try and update Apple ITunes, or QuickTime.
I get notices all the time to update but it never works.

I would really like to get this resolved; I do have working versions of all this software on my computer but can't seem to update any of them. I would like to update to the new version of Premiere Elements.

Someone posted about this on the Adobe forums a year ago and has never gotten answer.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this?
This doesn't appear to be a problems with anything except Adobe and Apple software.

When trying to install Premiere Elements 9 the complete error message reads as follows...

Error 1326 Error Getting File Security
C:\programdata\Photoshop Elements\catalogs\GetLastError5

I have the UAC turned off, and I've tried doing this as Administrator.Any input welcome.

Captain Jack

Extraordinary Member
Hello Mike,

I have not installed or worked with Abode installs but GetLastError5 means it's a bad media or download.

Essential Member

Shortly after posting this I found an answer.
At least for the Premiere Elements install.

I was staring at the error message for the 100th time and I realized that it said, (C:\ProgramData\Photoshop Elements\Catalogs\Getlast errror5. Not Premiere Elements\Catalogs.

I don't have Photoshop Elements installed, I may have at one time when I was tutoring some one in how to use it but not in a long time. I have Photoshop CS3.

So I navigated to the folder specified.

I found that the catalogs folder was a 0 byte locked folder.
After messing around with it for a while I was able to get the whole Photoshop Elements folder deleted from Program Data.

What do you know Premiere Elements 9 installed fine.
I've been testing and it seems to run better then 8, so I will go ahead and pay for it.

I think that probably all that was really necessary was that the folder be unlocked so that the install program could read it.

I haven't tried updating the other other software ITunes and Quicktime yet but I did find other locked out of date folders for both of these in Program Data as well. I'll check the error message next time and see if it points do a folder like this.

At least I have an idea now what is causing the errors for some of these.

I'll let you know if it will install the other stuff too, when I get a chance to try it out.

Thanks for the response.

Captain Jack

Extraordinary Member
Hi Mike,

I'm glad you got it resolved :)

Essential Member

I just came back to say that after deleting the empty locked folders, in Program Data folder, all of the things that I had not been able to update, did.

ITunes, Quicktime as well as Premiere Elements.

I hadn't been able to get Quicktime to update for close to a year.

So if anyone else runs into a problem getting that error go and see if there are folders related to the software in Program Data that are locked.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.