Windows 7 Error 800706BE

Litha

Hi, everyone. I'm wondering if someone has a clue about this error message because I've just upgraded from Vista to 7 and that error message seems to still exist. On my Vista I used to receive this error message during Windows Update of SP2. SP2 would never install because of the error. Now after upgrading to Windows 7, I've been doing my updates and discovered that the error has popped up on another update, this time the 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows 7...'

I have a theory about this error message. I've researched it thoroughly and what I've come up with is perhaps it has something to do with Microsoft no longer providing support for SP1 a small time ago. I came to this conclusion mainly due to any updates relating to SP1 and the like, but I could be wrong. My question is, does anyone have any other idea as to why this error would come up during Windows Updates?

Note: I don't have any antivirus programs because I've just upgraded (custom installation) so the problem can't be that.

Thank you!

Yes, that is what I mean. I deleted the partition in which Vista had been installed on, and installed Windows 7 on that partition. A clean install.

I just ran a verifier specifically for the .NET Framework 3.5 and it told me that I already have that specific framework installed on this machine. After downloading the standalone .NET Framework 3.5, it told me that my Windows 7 didn't need it, so after the verifier I confirmed that it was already on my computer.

I'm guessing the reason for the error 800706BE on the Windows Update is because my machine didn't need it. I'm not sure of this reason however, because when I had Vista I attempted to install SP2 but it continued to fail with that error, and I know I didn't have SP2 on Vista. Any ideas?

The error on the Vista SP2 update was almost certainly due to one of the components of SP2 rather than SP2 itself and was probably due to the component not being required.

The error means:

RPC_S_CALL_FAILED The remote procedure call failed

Maybe Pat knows something about this type of message, but I would check and make sure the RPC service is runnig, or at least can be started. Mine is set to automatic and is running.

If not that, perhaps a firewall or anti-virus in involved. Since it occurred in Vista also, perhaps something in common with the two installs.

You can find several "The remote procedure call failed" hits on the net, but I did not see one that just referenced a Windows Update.

Yes, the RPC service is running, and also on the Vista it was always set to the appropriate settings, so that wasn't appearing to be the problem. Also, it is in no way the firewall or anti-virus because I shutdown completely any and all firewalls, anti-virus programs, etc (even uninstalled) on the Vista. There are no firewalls or anti-virus programs on Windows 7 except for Windows Firewall which I also shutdown.

Have you read these;

Continous Error For A Single Update: Update for Windows - Microsoft Answers

Temporary connection-related errors may occur when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update

Have you also tried the Windows Update troubleshooting tool? Go to; [FONT=&amp]Start/Control Panel/Troubleshooting, Fix problems with Windows Update, or go here; [/FONT]How do I reset Windows Update components?

Or you can try the following if any of the above fail to resolve your issue;
[FONT=&amp]
1. Open Notepad
2. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Copy the following commands and paste them into the opened Notepad window:[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]net stop wuauserv[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
net stop Cryptsvc[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sdold.old[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 crt2old.old[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
net start wuauserv[/FONT]
net start Cryptsvc[FONT=&amp]

3. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]After pasting the above commands, close Notepad, choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file.
4. Type "temp.bat" (without the quotation marks) as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
5. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Right click the temp.bat file on Desktop and choose Run as administrator.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
6. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]CMD will begin processing, wait for it to finish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]7. Restart the computer and check if you can update now.[/FONT]

Hope this helps
Don

Back
Top Bottom