Windows 7 Error 80072EFD

benh28

So i brought a brand new laptop went to do windows update only to get Error 80072EFD. have run the windows fix it program and get the same error message. i then tried it when i was using my iphones internet rather then my home wireless network and it works. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue. my old laptop does windows update fine on the same home network that my new laptop wont work with

You could probably guess what the error means..

The attempt to connect to the server failed.

Have you checked your connection, and can you get to the Windows Update site?

I don't think an anti-virus would differentiate between your two connections, but not sure.

Last edited:
I can access the windows update site but windows update itself wont run the site tells me to use windowes update via the control panel. i dont have any anti virus atm as its a new laptop i had avg but got rid of it when i started having these issues i have turned windows firewall off and followed all the windows tips and tricks i could find to fix this issue to no avail.

Che

Last edited:
That site will always tell you to use the control panel, but you could get there. Something else must be blocking it.

Does your network have a firewall in a router? Can you reach all other internet destinations without problems? Is your system time correct? Did you set the new system to the same workgroup?

We had someone once, that was using a DSL connection and could get XP updates fine, but the Windows 7 updates would not work. Since your old laptop gets the updates, that would not seem to be the case, but something about the wired connection does seem to be blocking the ability.

That site will always tell you to use the control panel, but you could get there. Something else must be blocking it.

Does your network have a firewall in a router? Can you reach all other internet destinations without problems? Is your system time correct? Did you set the new system to the same workgroup?

We had someone once, that was using a DSL connection and could get XP updates fine, but the Windows 7 updates would not work. Since your old laptop gets the updates, that would not seem to be the case, but something about the wired connection does seem to be blocking the ability.

Has a firewall turned it off still didnt work. can reach every single other site without any issues

Ok i have done a full system reinstall formated laptop and everything still have the issue. hp tell me to talk to microsoft. microsoft tell me to talk to hp anyone have any ideas at all. to clarify windows update works on my iphones personal hotspot but wont work on my house's internet whether the laptop is hardwired or wireless. i have disabled my modems firewall and pc firewall no luck.

Could you go to the C:\Windows directory and find a file called WindowsUpdate.log. Right click - send to and select zip. It will warn about not putting the file in the current location, but offer to put it on the desktop. Then attach using the paperclip in the advanced replies. I will check it to see if I can find anything helpful.

It will take me a while to go through the log. But in addition to the error you mention, you are getting this one, 80072EE2

This Microsoft site goes through some of the processes, and make note, the you also have WinHttp errors showing, which the link mentions. But make sure WinHttp is running in the services.msc panel, or at least can be started, and if it can't look at its properties on the dependencies page and check those services.

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

I will get back later this afternoon with any more info.

You are also getting this message,8024402C, for which this site might help. It is referencing running a proxy, but if you are not, you might check. The BITS service (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) seems to be having problems downloading.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936

If you need any help running some of the commands, let us know.

Last edited:
I did not realize there were any FixIt procedures, but you never have to use them. Go down to the advanced user procedures and go through those.

Let us know what you are trying or cannot get to work.

I have been through the rest of your log and it still says pretty much the same thing. The BITS cannot download the updates which may be related to WinHTTP errors. It will try three times and then give up.

So for now, try going to the below site and download one update, whichever you want and see if you can. When you get to the site, it will ask to install an activeX control, which you can let happen.

Microsoft Update Catalog

Then Type in the KB number of the update you want to download and install and it should put it in your basket which you can download from. If you need a KB number, let me know.

Make sure you allow the computer to reboot when the updates need it, and some updates seem to need a complete shutdown.

Edit: Also make sure your system time is correct.

Back
Top Bottom