Windows XP Error in iaStor.sys in windows XP installation(x64) aftr slipstreaming

Koushik Ghosh

Hi there,
I had been trying since the past 2 days to install windows XP professional 64 bit in my sony vaio (vpceb3gfg) running windows 8 release preview. I downloaded the windows XP pro x64 and slipstreamed it using nLite to integrate the iaStor.sys controller driver to include support for SATA controller which by default is not present in windows XP driver list and thus to detect my hard disk drive

I downloaded the downgrade to XP sata driver from Support for VPCEB36FG : E Series (VPCE) : VAIO™ Laptop & Computer : Sony India and extracted it then added it to nLite using 'insert single driver' .. all went well so far. but when i go for the installation of windows XP it says error in iastor.sys, and that it is not compatible with x64 version of this windows, try contacting manufacturer for help and support... blah blah blah..

now the thing is my BIOS settings do not allow me to change the SATA to ACHI or whatever the other phoenix BIOS supports for windows XP to automatically detect the hard disk controller drivers and eventually detect the hard disk! So I am left with the only option of slipstreaming the SATA iaStor.sys file into the windows XP installation but this is going in vain as said before... anyone there to help me out or help me notify where on earth am i doing wrong???

PS: Chipset Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge Southbridge Intel HM55
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers driver : Intel(R) 5 series 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (iaahci.sys and iastor.sys)

On the site you reference, XP only has one entry, so not divided between x64 or x86. If you are using x64 XP, are you sure it is both versions? And you don't have to extract anything, since the Driver disk is set up, unless this is necessary for the x64 version.

When you use nLite, are you selecting the AHCI driver for your SATA controller? There is normally a listing for RAID and AHCI, so try using the AHCI one.

One place I saw also mentioned you need XP SP3 to be able to use the AHCI drivers. But using the wrong one will normally Blue Screen. The "not correct version" is probably a x86/x64 situation.

XP will normally need IDE for a controller option without the correct drivers.

Edit: I checked the readme file on the F6 disk and it states the drivers are good for XP x64.

Edit: Testing has shown the AHCI driver will work with XP SP2. They will not work with the basic XP, and I do not know about XP SP1

Last edited:
On the site you reference, XP only has one entry, so not divided between x64 or x86. If you are using x64 XP, are you sure it is both versions? And you don't have to extract anything, since the Driver disk is set up, unless this is necessary for the x64 version.

When you use nLite, are you selecting the AHCI driver for your SATA controller? There is normally a listing for RAID and AHCI, so try using the AHCI one.

One place I saw also mentioned you need XP SP3 to be able to use the AHCI drivers. But using the wrong one will normally Blue Screen. The "not correct version" is probably a x86/x64 situation.

XP will normally need IDE for a controller option without the correct drivers.

Edit: I checked the readme file on the F6 disk and it states the drivers are good for XP x64.

yep mate its for the x64 version that i slipstreamed and i selected the AHCI controller under the insert single driver option.. the thing is i used the drivers from sony vaio official site which is resulting in these errors! unbelievable. I'm trying with variety of drivers for the SHCI controller and about SP3 that you are referring to SP3 with windows XP 64bit is not available for clean install, u can download the upgrade of SP3 from microsoft's site and integrate it with the installation at maximum but the basic thing is when I'm using the correct driver and controller why on earth is it showing iaStor.sys is not compatible with the xp professional x64 edition? i simply dont understand!

SP3 can be slipstreamed into XP just like SP2 could. I do not know for sure it is required, but mine worked. I will try the XP SP2 version later, since I know for sure my drivers work, if it won't work with SP2 it will confirm.

Did you download the F6 drivers from the Sony site? If so, selecting the Series 5 drivers should be the correct ones, especially if there is not an option for a bit version. You said you extracted them, and I was thinking extracting from an .exe file instead of a .zip file. But the .zip file version are the ones you need.

Nlite should be able to slipstream SP3, but if not, there are directions about using the "integrate" command on the net. I used the Integrate to add SP3 and it worked well. Then I had to find the correct drivers before I could use nLite to add those. Luckily I have an external floppy to test for the correct drivers.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention, I was on my old XP computer when I used the integrate option. I don't think it is available in Windows 7.

Last edited:
I just used nLite to slipstream SP3 into the Basic XP Pro. Took all of about 5 seconds. I had been thinking that nLite was only for XP, but I misunderstood. It will run in Windows 7 but can only work on one of the compatible OSes, like XP. You cannot use it to slipstream a Vista Install.

If you need help, advise, but put the XP file in one folder, the SP3 .exe in another folder, and nLite can integrate them for your. After you slipstream them make sure, when it looks for a Basic OS, you click the refresh button so it actually shows XP SP3 before you add the drivers.

Last edited:
I just did the testing for compatibility with XP versions, and XP (basic) will not load the AHCI drivers. XP SP2 will and I do not know about XP SP1...

hey the XP pro SP1 supports ACHI controller drivers... i downloaded the drivers from intel's site and guess what slipstreaming them worked fine and i installed XP 64 bit finally after searching for the correct iaStor.sys! guess what the drivers(both .zip and .exe) in the sony vaio site are totally a bullshit. none of them worked, all gives the same error Dpinst.exe should have been for x64 bit system blah blah blah... basically all the drivers and patches in the sony support site are for x86 processors and none of them installed in my XP... do u have any clue where can i get these to make my XP finally worthy of it! if you do have any ideas regarding where i would get the downgrade drivers like PCI controller, ethernet driver blah blah and updates for 64 bit XP do let me know!

If you can't find drivers on the Sony site, I think my next option would be the device manufacturer. Since I do not have your computer, it is a little hard for me to give good advice in this area.

is there no easy way to deal with this! this is now gettin tiring and hectic... now i got the new concept of windows driver kit to install the drivers ... check out this Windows Driver Kit (WDK) Version 7.1.0 Release Notes

oh btw thanx for your advices..

i need to find some way out to find compatible drivers for all the devices somehow or the other,, might use driver genuis pro... worked in 7

Back