Windows 7 Error when trying to connect to network drive

erurer

Hi,

Getting an error when trying to connect to a network drive 'An error occured while re-connecting.No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept'

Now this has been setup with a local folder on the server shared and is being mapped to 19 people on the network.
I looked under advanced permissions and can see max allowed connections set to 20, there are 19 people in the company but the problem lies that some bring in their laptops and attempt to connect to to the existing shares as well which is obviously causing problems as I can only allow max '20' connections to this mapped folder.

Is there any fix that will allow Win 7 Pro x64 I can enter in the registry to allow more connections?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Short answer is probably No.
It would probably take a lot more than a registry edit to accomplish something like this as you would have to replace some key components (dlls) of the operating system with those of the equivalent server OS and doing anything like that would almost certainly violate the EULA terms.
Sorry but you will need an actual Server OS to get that level of concurrent connections.

Fair enough,

just seems pointless paying extra for an additional 3 to 5 connections but i suppose that is their clause.
I know in xp there was a reg fix but haven't heard anything for win7.

Would you happen to know or can suggest any work around as I really don't intend to re-install everything from scratch for the applications i am running and especially not to spend additional money for an extra 3 to 5 connections?

Thanks

Again the short answer is No.
Microsoft Operating Systems restrictions regarding connections are proscribed within the End User License Agreement Section 3 subsection (f.).
Type
winver
into the search or run dialog box and click the link to the "Microsoft Software License Terms" and scroll to that section.
Depending on where you want to go from here, there may be something available through one of the many linux distros that may support workgroup shares (smb/samba) in excess of 20 but I'm not a Linux guy so I can't say for certain. There may be other members here who would have some specific information regarding this or you can post a thread in our linux forum or perhaps another linux forum (Ubuntu) where you might find answers or suggestions that may help you further. This is not a recommendation as transitioning to a Linux solution is not going to be a walk in the park. It's just a possible suggestion as you asked for possible work arounds for your unique circumstance.
Regards
Randy

Thanks for the answer.

Linux is unfortunately not an option as it will not support the applications I am running.
Any idea what win OS will cater for over 20 connections?
And if so would I a)be able to upgrade the OS or b)need to install from fresh?
Also how many connections would this win 7 OS cater for max?

Many thanks

Back