Windows 7 esata help

corf

love windows 7, but i have two esata antec mx1 with hard drive in windows 7 is not recognized them
motherboard is asus p5n32-sli premium

cheers

In my system Windows 7 recognice my External eSata Lacie 1 Big Dual, but i can't safely remove the drive, any idea?.

Jose

Rosewill

I have a rosewill external drive with an Asus a8n5x. The only way Windows 7 will recongnize the esata drive is to plug the drive in before you boot the PC. The same setup was working great in Windows XP but Windows 7 does seem to have an issue with some hot plugable esata hardware. The USB port works fine.

Last edited:
@corf,

Did you figure out the issue? I also have a Antec MX-1 enclosure and only USB works with Windows 7. If I connect the drive via eSATA, Win7 does not see it. If I boot up with the drive attached via eSATA, Win7 boot screen hangs until I unplug the eSATA drive. This worked just fine in WinXP.

If anyone has any suggestions on a possible fix, please post. Everything else on my computer seems to be working just great.

Thanks.

When you plug in the device after Windows starts, Doesn't AutoPlay bring up the drive and ask you to choose:

1. Play
2 Import Picture
3. View pictures
4. Open Folder to view files (This is what I normally choose)
5. Use this drive for backup 6. Speed up my system (readyboost)

Was there software disk included with the drive? I lloked up that drive and here are the OS's that supports it:
OS RequiredMicrosoft Windows Server 2003, Apple MacOS X 10.4 or later, Microsoft Windows Vista / 2000 / XP

It also stated "Software Included, Drivers & Utilities" are included.

Are you using the 64-bit edition?

Did you download the RC release directly from Microsoft?

Did you do a "clean" install, or an upgrade?

I have an external USB, small, slim type that I have connected all the time acting as store, Audio/Video, Pictures, Documents, etc.

It's a Maxtor PSE 3100. it work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1Tb Samsung drive in an ICY box hooked up as an external e-SATA drive and don't have any problems with it. My mobo has 6 SATA devices controlled by the on board Intel controller and a further 4 SATA devices controlled by the onboard Gigabyte controller. The e-SATA drive is connected to the Gigabyte controlled SATA ports and in the BIOS the controller has been configured to run in ACHI mode (not IDE mode).

The drive can be turned on and off whilst Win7 is running (hot swappable) and it can be ejected safely.

When you plug in the device after Windows starts, Doesn't AutoPlay bring up the drive and ask you to choose:

1. Play
2 Import Picture
3. View pictures
4. Open Folder to view files (This is what I normally choose)
5. Use this drive for backup 6. Speed up my system (readyboost)

Yea, I know what you are referring to, this does not happen when using this drive via eSATA.

Was there software disk included with the drive? I lloked up that drive and here are the OS's that supports it:
OS RequiredMicrosoft Windows Server 2003, Apple MacOS X 10.4 or later, Microsoft Windows Vista / 2000 / XP

It also stated "Software Included, Drivers & Utilities" are included.

No disk.

Are you using the 64-bit edition?

No

Did you download the RC release directly from Microsoft?

Yes.

Did you do a "clean" install, or an upgrade?

Clean.

I have an external USB, small, slim type that I have connected all the time acting as store, Audio/Video, Pictures, Documents, etc.

It's a Maxtor PSE 3100. it work fine.

eSATA is very different from USB. All of my USB devices work just fine, even this external drive via USB, just not eSATA.

I guess I'm not up-to-date with new hardware, but if you try a Google search for "eSATA on Windows 7", it brings up a decent list, mainly forums.

Back