Windows 7 ethernet connection

lukepay

hi,
i recently got a new toshiba laptop and i am trying to access the internet via my ethernet cable, unfortunalty it is not working,
windows cant communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)
ive tried so many different things but nothing seems to work,
if someone could help me i would be very grateful

windows cant communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Click the start orb and type
ncpa.cpl
In the resultant window select the right click your network adapter (wired ethernet, usually local area connection if it hasn't been renamed) and choose status and then click the details button
examine the IP addressing scheme that it is using currently.
Typically the preferred DNS server will likely be the inside edge of the router that you are connecting to but can and sometimes is different if set or assigned manually. Take a look and make sure that it is set to automatic in the properties of your network adapter under the properties button of IPv4
again click the start orb and type
ncpa.cpl
select then right click the network adapter and choose properties
select IPv4 and click the properties button
Make sure both radio buttons are set on the Obtain ........ automatically.
If you would like us to examine your current configuration just open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all> desktop\ipconfig.txt
that will put a file on your desktop called ipconfig.txt
zip it up and attach it to your next post.
Regards
Randy

hi
thanks for the help earlier, it did work, but after turning my computer on and off again a few hours later i am back to square one, it did the things you said but they were already set to what it was when it was working

hi
thanks for the help earlier, it did work, but after turning my computer on and off again a few hours later i am back to square one, it did the things you said but they were already set to what it was when it was working

If by that you mean that you are again getting the DNS communications error?
There are often some issues with some routers performing poorly as DNS forwarders and in some instances a firmware update provided by the router manufacturer may address that problem, so you might want to check with the vendor's website and see if they have any such firmware flash available.
Additionally you may want to just check with your ISP and ask them what their DNS servers are, most will have a couple (preferred and alternate) and these are often provided for the WAN side of your router and can be found by examining that configuration within the router interface.
Simply plug those into the appropriate location under the properties of your network adapter, under the properties button for IPv4 and you can then bypass relying on the router as a forwarder.
Looks to me like the ones they are using are likely
81.23.48.132 preferred
and
81.23.52.4 alternate
SOURCE: Link Removed - Invalid URL
Regards
Randy

Back