Windows 7 Event Viewer gone after using new battery

Omega9

I recently bought a new battery for a Dell Studio 1737. I was having an acpi error (Event 13) every minute but when i removed the battery and just used the laptop with ac the error dissapeared. I got the new battery. After i started using it, the Event Viewer did work for a short time. Then it just pops up this message every time i try to open it:

MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\eventvwr.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC
console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also
be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

I ve searched the internet for a solution (and this forum) and haven't found much. Any ideas how to fix the Event Viewer (besides formating..)

Omega9:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
The first thing would be to confirm that eventvwr.msc is infact still present in the C:\Windows\system32 folder and is not missing.
Second launch an elevated command prompt and evoke the system file checker by typing
sfc /scannow
let that run and see if it proves helpful
Third if you could zero in on a date when you first noticed the issue, perhaps a system restore point just prior to that time might help.
Keep us posted
Regards
Randy

Thanks for the suggestions.

There are two eventvwr files in System32, an 'application' and a 'microsoft common console document' one.
The test finishes with

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Unfortunately i installed uninstalled many programs these days and the restore points are very recent, none as old as before i replaced the battery...

Anything else that comes to mind?
Another strange event, with the old battery the system rating was not working. With the new battery it started working again!

Those batteries are more involved in the system that one might think. If you remove the battery and run event viewer, does it come back?

Where did you get the battery and is it a direct Dell Replacement? Maybe something in the bios needs to be reset.

Those batteries are more involved in the system that one might think. If you remove the battery and run event viewer, does it come back?

In which areas of the system are they more involved than one might think? I haven't tried using plain ac and trying the viewer yet. But i did put back the old battery and tried, still the same error message.

Where did you get the battery and is it a direct Dell Replacement? Maybe something in the bios needs to be reset.

It is not a genuine Dell battery if that's what you re asking me. I wouldn't give 5 times the price for a "genuine" Dell one, since the original Dell battery has been causing the acpi error i talked about every minute of every hour of every day, for YEARS! Before you ask me let me note that this error, according to the Even Viewer console needed a "bios update". The thing is i installed the latest Dell bios updates. Only when it occured to me to flash an OLDER bios (A07) did the error frequency lessen. Long hours with Dell on the phone produced NO solution. It didnt even occur to these "technicians" that the battery may be causing the error. I found it out recently by accident, when i decided to check with plain ac connection. What Dell suggested, and did, was change my whole motherboard, which had no effect on the acpi error whatsoever!
It really gets on my nerves that it is not even 6 months since i installed Win 7 and it already appears that only a clean install/format will *maybe* fix some issues! I can't remember a time when EVERYTHING was working perfectly. One small thing or another would not work correctly (fingerprint reader not detected, system rating not working, now the event viewer, etc). Of course Win 7 seems like a paradise environment compared to Vista that i was unfortunate enough to have before, for years. Event Viewer was an important tool to me, isn't there another way to "reinstall" it or something?

Back
Top Bottom