Windows 7 Everything goes black.

Remiiversen

Hi, I just started use Windows 7 rc. When I am logging in to the user account everything is black. So I have to open task manager , then open C://Programfiles and etc to open files or games. The whole deskop is black, and only saying "Windows 7 Evalution copy build 7100" in the righr corner.

Hope this might help you improv, and some answare about how to fix if this is possible.
Best regards

Hello and welcome.

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32. then expand the Components tree and choose a device
Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it.
Download PC WIZARD 2008

Sound like a graphic driver issue so if you could give as mush info about that it would help a great deal.

Also, pleas post your motherboard specs and this allows us to kook up the motherboard specs and see exactly what on the board.

BTW, evaluation copy is correct as it has not reached RTM yet.

Did you just install and immediately start having tyhis issue or did it appear later on.

When you activated Windows, you should have neen presented with at least 6 updates, one being you graphic card. Did you get this update.

Did you perform a "clean" install or and upgrade?

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything goes black

Hi agin.
sorry if im explaining bad, doing my best.
y, I have used Windows 7 RC in about 1week, with only some minor bugs.
Wel, I tried to instal wizard several times, everytime i installed it, the computer crashed, and I had to restore the pc back in time.
and nothing changed, I im also unable to run "RUN" since I dont have a start menu or so, have to do everything from task manager.

Atleast here is my hardweare:
Motherboard: Nforce 7 series 790i Ultra SLI
Grapich card: i think its a Gforce 9serie
Prosessor: intel Core Quad Q9650 3.00 Ghz

And it doesnt seem like I have any problem with the grapic card, just seems like the system dont manage to open a file
or something. Since I can go directly to task manager, open for example crysis and play. I am not able to right click on the
desktop to refresh or so eighter.

Just cant find any posts or so related to the problem eigther, so this is wierd :p
from scratch: When im turning on my computer:
I type user name + PW to login to the user account, and everything loads and Im entring my account:
Then Everything is black ( cannot rightclick 2 refrech or so). The only thing I can see, is down in the right corner: Windows 7 Evaluation copy. build 7100
And then I have to open "task manager" to enter IE or other programs.

With a closer look, I also discovered:
Date and Time: 02.06.2009 18:02:08
Description: Windows Update
Type: critical Update

It was about then the computer went wild. :p

best regards, Thanx for helping

Hi agin.
sorry if im explaining bad, doing my best.
y, I have used Windows 7 RC in about 1week, with only some minor bugs.
Wel, I tried to instal wizard several times, everytime i installed it, the computer crashed, and I had to restore the pc back in time.
and nothing changed, I im also unable to run \"RUN\" since I dont have a start menu or so, have to do everything from task manager.

Atleast here is my hardweare:
Motherboard: Nforce 7 series 790i Ultra SLI
Grapich card: i think its a Gforce 9serie
Prosessor: intel Core Quad Q9650 3.00 Ghz

And it doesnt seem like I have any problem with the grapic card, just seems like the system dont manage to open a file
or something. Since I can go directly to task manager, open for example crysis and play. I am not able to right click on the
desktop to refresh or so eighter.

Just cant find any posts or so related to the problem eigther, so this is wierd :p
from scratch: When im turning on my computer:
I type user name + PW to login to the user account, and everything loads and Im entring my account:
Then Everything is black ( cannot rightclick 2 refrech or so). The only thing I can see, is down in the right corner: Windows 7 Evaluation copy. build 7100
And then I have to open \"task manager\" to enter IE or other programs.

With a closer look, I also discovered:
Date and Time: 02.06.2009 18:02:08
Description: Windows Update
Type: critical Update

It was about then the computer went wild. :p

best regards, Thanx for helping

The exact same thing happened to me too. Just after this update. I am trying to find help here in this thread -
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/6669-win-7-not-booting-after-upgrade.html

You could try some of the suggestions there.

And how do you manage to go in the task manager? I can't even seem to do that :(

Last edited:
Sounds like your desktop did not get installed, sometime if you download a torrent version changes like these can be made, other things can be like unattended installations where any problems are just over written and you can install windows in 5 minutes. however I think you got this from the offical site.

Try creating another user and see what happens

Sounds like your desktop did not get installed, sometime if you download a torrent version changes like these can be made, other things can be like unattended installations where any problems are just over written and you can install windows in 5 minutes. however I think you got this from the offical site.

Try creating another user and see what happens

Hey this totally worked for me. Any ideas on how to bring over my user settings from the old user?

And in case it helps Remiiversen - this is the update -

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.59.659.0)

Installation date: ‎6/‎2/‎2009 4:38 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Help and Support:
Windows Defender: Home Page

Back