Windows 7 Excel

I had MS Office 2013 installed on my PC and then Installed MS Office 2016. I read somewhere that when you install MS Office 2016 can't run with MS Office on the PC and will remove, unistall, deactivate or otherwise make like in the past where for instance I believe MS Office 2013 could be installed while still running MS Office 2010. At any rate. I can't seem to find the MS Office 2013 installation in PFs or PFs x86. Both MS Office 2013 and 2016 show up in my all programs. And show in Programs and Features. Problem is I keep getting windows updates for Excel 2013. I install them. It indicates they were installed correctly and the next day they're being offered again. This is a dog chasing the tail situation.

I tried uninstalling MS Office 2013 and then MS Office Wouldn't work. So, I had to restore my C: disk from my Acronis Backup. Question is do you know how I can get off this merry-go-round. A technician that serviced my computer recently told me I should install the updates as it's slowing my PC down. I told him I'd installed them several time but they don't take. Microsoft won't help because I bought MO 2013 on Ebay and MO 2016 on amazon. They say that the key to my MS Office has been sold several times and been blocked by MS so can't be installed again, so if I uninstalled both offices I wouldn't be able to install MS Office 2016 again.

So, is there any was to stop these update offerings from MS?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have to remedy this.

Frank

-Licensing-

The first point to made is if the licenses are compromised (multiple activations) then I'd say you need to get that squared away first. I would contact the seller via Amazon and engage Amazon as well.

-Updates-

These should remain enabled as Microsoft does release security updates for Office products and they are important to keep your system safe.

-Multiple Versions installed-

Having multiple versions of Office installed is not a good idea at all. Starting with Office 2010 they will constantly auto repair and take over file associations. If you absolutely need an older version (typically this is only due to old access databases) I would look at either updating the databases or you will need to create hard coded shortcuts to the older Office install executables.

I didn't originally expect that they would conflict because I believe the 2013 version was 32-bit and the 2016 was 64 bit but, I'm not absolutely sure on that. I thought I could use the old version until I got familiar with to the new version and just to be on the safe side and make sure everthng worked with the new version. But now I don't know. Dose the 64-bit version install to both PFs & PFx86? Would I be making a mistake to get rid of the x86 version?

When I checked the x86 version it indicates Office 15 only. The PFs version shows both Office 15 and Office 16.

The difference in architecture won't make a difference in them conflicting. Office15 will be Office 2013 and Office16 is Office 2016. As far Office installing in both PF anf PF86 you may see some components installed in both locations but the bulk of the software will only be in one location.

The MS Office in PFx86 only contained a Office15 in the Microsoft Office folder. I added a small letter 'm' to the front of the name 'Microsoft Office' so that it now reads 'mMicrosoft Office.' In PFs I placed a small 'm' in front of 'Office15' so that is now reads 'mOffice15.' As I recently rebooted my PC, I'll wait now to see if this solves the problem or the offering of MS Office 2013 updates are offered again.

The renaming of the above folders has had no effect and the updates are offered again. Can references to Office 2013 somehow be removed from the registry to stop these updates?

Sorry, that's no help at all. Office works and I need it. I use it multiple times a day. It's just that the updates don't take and keep returning, that's the problem I need to fix. The other updates I want.

You can try stopping the BITS and Windows Update services, delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution directory then restart the Windows Update service and check for updates. That should clear out any stuck updates.

Back
Top Bottom