Windows 7 EXHDD refers to be unavailable. Help please.

MrX

G'day.
I formatted my PC yesterday and now when I plugged in my WD 500GB EXHDD, The hard is giving me some error.I have made 2 partitions. One 150GB and the other 350GB. The 350GB doesn't know open giving me this error:
s1A8Q.png
Hope you know the solution. Please don't tell me it's dead. My whole life is in there.Thanks.

Was the external drive plugged in when you formatted your drive and reinstalled Windows? It sounds like something got corrupted. I always unhook external items when reformatting main drive and reinstalling OS
Joe

Was the external drive plugged in when you formatted your drive and reinstalled Windows? It sounds like something got corrupted. I always unhook external items when reformatting main drive and reinstalling OS
Joe

Yes, I unplugged my EXHDD before formatting. It can't get corrupted by its own right?

Hi MrX (a tune by Ultravox from my past that I quite like!)

Does the missing partition have an assigned drive letter in Disk Manager?

Have you tried assigning it a drive letter? If you can at least assign it a drive letter so it is seen, even if you cannot see your data, you may be able to use something like Recuva so you could recover and copy all the data to your currently empty (??) spaces in your other partitions.

Last edited:
Hello MrX,
May I suggest that the pic you attached be replaced?
On the new pic, you should move the popup window out of the way of the other stuff it blocks before capturing.
The popup could be blocking your WD external drive info.

The drive "K:" might be a drive that had been previously plugged in before power on / boot and was assigned a drive letter, and subsequently removed.

By "it doesn't show anything" do you mean:
1: "The drive and its partitions do show up, but do not display any assigned Drive Letter"
or
2: "The drive and its partitions do not even appear at all in Drive Manager"?

The pic attached doesn't clue me in at all, but also significant, and unstated, is the time the external drive is plugged in:

3: after the system is (fully) booted, or
4: during boot process (should never do that!) or
5: before the computer is powered on.

6: Interface?
a: via USB2, USB3, FW, or eSATA, or LAN?
b: ports on Mobo or adapter card?
7: Is internal drive IDE (PATA) or SATA?
(I have read that some BIOSes have problems mixing SATA with PATA).
These kinds of problems are why I am a fan of the Linux OS/tool pmagic (www.PartedMagic.com) and especially its use of gparted and ntfs3g.
Anyway, that's my 2b. Will check back to see how it went, hope you don't just disappear without letting us know what happens, if you do get it fixed.

Hello MrX,
May I suggest that the pic you attached be replaced?
On the new pic, you should move the popup window out of the way of the other stuff it blocks before capturing.
The popup could be blocking your WD external drive info.

Hello Dr.

Thanks a lot for taking time posting an answer. But before I did anything I tried to plug it in to another PC and it worked, both the drives were reading.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help.

Cheers.
- Hassan

@Elmer: Thanks for the like, it's gratifying to be appreciated. Thanks also for your time and efforts moderating. I'm now unsubscribing from this thread. As I used to say: "Color me gone!"
- DrWattsOn

Back